Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2007
voctor660
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
I tried to repair Vista from the Install DVD and after running it said that
it could not be auto repaired. It offered to send info to Microsoft for a
solution and I did.
I also tried System Restore but each restore point failed. I ran my Dell
Diagnostics disk on the hard drive and every test passed saying that it was
healthy.

Other than re-installing the OS does anyone have a suggestion? My guess is
that is a bad driver or the Windows update. There was an ATI driver and the
tuesday updates for Vista.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2007
Brian
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
The same exact thing happened to me. I tried everything. After hours of
time wasted, I reinstalled Vista. How sad. Now I posted a new question out
there asking which update to avoid installing since it hosed up so many
people. I don't want to mess up a clean install so I'm waiting. It would be
nice if the official voice of MS would speak up about this. Sigh...

"voctor660" wrote:

> I tried to repair Vista from the Install DVD and after running it said that
> it could not be auto repaired. It offered to send info to Microsoft for a
> solution and I did.
> I also tried System Restore but each restore point failed. I ran my Dell
> Diagnostics disk on the hard drive and every test passed saying that it was
> healthy.
>
> Other than re-installing the OS does anyone have a suggestion? My guess is
> that is a bad driver or the Windows update. There was an ATI driver and the
> tuesday updates for Vista.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2007
antioch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.

"voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:843A2C67-408C-4613-B912-BC1357DB897D@microsoft.com...
>I tried to repair Vista from the Install DVD and after running it said that
> it could not be auto repaired. It offered to send info to Microsoft for a
> solution and I did.
> I also tried System Restore but each restore point failed. I ran my Dell
> Diagnostics disk on the hard drive and every test passed saying that it
> was
> healthy.
>
> Other than re-installing the OS does anyone have a suggestion? My guess is
> that is a bad driver or the Windows update. There was an ATI driver and
> the
> tuesday updates for Vista.


Which updates did you download - KB numbers?
Do you have Ati graphics on your computer?

Antioch


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
voctor660
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
I am not sure of the KB updates because I no longer have access. There was
one for the media center which kept on failing to Install and there was a
driver for my
ATI graphics card. I believe there was a total of four.

Voctor660

"antioch" wrote:

>
> "voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:843A2C67-408C-4613-B912-BC1357DB897D@microsoft.com...
> >I tried to repair Vista from the Install DVD and after running it said that
> > it could not be auto repaired. It offered to send info to Microsoft for a
> > solution and I did.
> > I also tried System Restore but each restore point failed. I ran my Dell
> > Diagnostics disk on the hard drive and every test passed saying that it
> > was
> > healthy.
> >
> > Other than re-installing the OS does anyone have a suggestion? My guess is
> > that is a bad driver or the Windows update. There was an ATI driver and
> > the
> > tuesday updates for Vista.

>
> Which updates did you download - KB numbers?
> Do you have Ati graphics on your computer?
>
> Antioch
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
antioch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.

"voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9FC251F0-4260-468C-BE38-684B1025790A@microsoft.com...
>I am not sure of the KB updates because I no longer have access. There was
> one for the media center which kept on failing to Install and there was a
> driver for my
> ATI graphics card. I believe there was a total of four.
>
> Voctor660
>

Victor
I assume your Dell is still under guarantee - contact them, though they
will not probably troubleshoot your problem but they should at least get
your system back to factory condition i.e. the state it was in when you got
it.
Or contact the Vista general group in the web interface discussion group you
are using for advice there. I don't have Vista nor a Dell computer.
It appears that you don't let MS updates download/install without first
getting your agreement, but do look at them a bit closer and ask yourself,
'Do I need this?' Security/critical Yes - anything else No or Maybe - if
its a driver then No - never from MS - always get drivers from the
manufacturer.
But then if you are not having graphics problems why change the GPU driver?
This recent Ati driver from MS has caused some problems but System restore
or going back to previous driver has sorted the problem for some.
Do treat all updates as suspicious - wait a few days and keep watch on what
others are experiencing - if possible use the Microsoft newsgroups and not
that archaic web interface(if you want help on that ask)
Then pick the updates you want from the list given in the 'shield' - go to
the respective web page for each update - download to disc or desktop -
disconnect from the net, disable ALL AV/Spyware etc and install - reboot
after each even if not asked to - check your Add/Remove then do the next
one. Hide those you don't want in the WU Home page where you can get them
when you want them - that way the yellow shield will not keep popping up.

Rgds
Antioch


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
voctor660
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
Thanks for the advice and I will be more cautious in the future. Sometimes
getting burned wakes you up.

Voctor660

"antioch" wrote:

>
> "voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9FC251F0-4260-468C-BE38-684B1025790A@microsoft.com...
> >I am not sure of the KB updates because I no longer have access. There was
> > one for the media center which kept on failing to Install and there was a
> > driver for my
> > ATI graphics card. I believe there was a total of four.
> >
> > Voctor660
> >

> Victor
> I assume your Dell is still under guarantee - contact them, though they
> will not probably troubleshoot your problem but they should at least get
> your system back to factory condition i.e. the state it was in when you got
> it.
> Or contact the Vista general group in the web interface discussion group you
> are using for advice there. I don't have Vista nor a Dell computer.
> It appears that you don't let MS updates download/install without first
> getting your agreement, but do look at them a bit closer and ask yourself,
> 'Do I need this?' Security/critical Yes - anything else No or Maybe - if
> its a driver then No - never from MS - always get drivers from the
> manufacturer.
> But then if you are not having graphics problems why change the GPU driver?
> This recent Ati driver from MS has caused some problems but System restore
> or going back to previous driver has sorted the problem for some.
> Do treat all updates as suspicious - wait a few days and keep watch on what
> others are experiencing - if possible use the Microsoft newsgroups and not
> that archaic web interface(if you want help on that ask)
> Then pick the updates you want from the list given in the 'shield' - go to
> the respective web page for each update - download to disc or desktop -
> disconnect from the net, disable ALL AV/Spyware etc and install - reboot
> after each even if not asked to - check your Add/Remove then do the next
> one. Hide those you don't want in the WU Home page where you can get them
> when you want them - that way the yellow shield will not keep popping up.
>
> Rgds
> Antioch
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
antioch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.

"voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3ACA2635-69FF-42ED-AB72-044DBBCD404F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the advice and I will be more cautious in the future.
> Sometimes
> getting burned wakes you up.
>
> Voctor660
>

So true Victor - I have been brought out of hibernation more than once :-)
Some say that was a shame...

Antioch



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
antioch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
"voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3ACA2635-69FF-42ED-AB72-044DBBCD404F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the advice and I will be more cautious in the future.
> Sometimes
> getting burned wakes you up.
>
> Voctor660


Voctor
In case you have not spotted this - and let us all know the result, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarweed
Thanks Superraccoon,
Your instructions worked fine on my computer. After folowing your steps
I had to reboot my computer 3 times, then presto, everything was normal
again. Again, thanks for posting the computer fix.

Allstarrob Can someone e-mail me specific instructions how to fix
problem (delete) ATI PCI Express 3GIO FilterDriver update for Vista
that effected my video screen etc.. Much appreciated! send to
allstarrob@aol.com

Vindows Vista

1. Go to Device Manager (To access device manager, Go to
START/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER

2. Expand "SYSTEM DEVICES"

3. Find "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER DRIVER" and delete it.

4. Reboot

5. Check and make sure "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER" has been
deleted.
If it has not, restart at step 3.

6. If it has been deleted, Reboot 1 or 2 more times and then your
computer should be OK.

I give credit to Superraccoon.

This worked on my computer but I do not guarantee it will work on
yours.

Best of luck.


--
Dollarweed
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dollarweed's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35234
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=853247

http://forums.techarena.in




Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007
voctor660
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
It looks like a great solution but when I ran startup repair from the dvd I
received the following message: "Startup repair cannot repair this computer
automatically." Sending more info can help Microsoft create solutions.

Details: Problem Signature
Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01 AutoFailover
" " 02
6.0.6000.168386.6.0.6000.16386
" " 03 6
" " 04 458759
" " 05 Bad Driver
" " 06 Bad Driver
" " 07 0
" " 08 3
" " 09 WrpRepair
" " 10 1168

I also tried system restore-I had five available but each one failed. I
tried to boot into safe mode but I seemed to be in a loop that kept telling
me to try Startup Repair. (Sigh!!!)

Thanks again for the information I wish I had a better outcome.

"antioch" wrote:

> "voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3ACA2635-69FF-42ED-AB72-044DBBCD404F@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the advice and I will be more cautious in the future.
> > Sometimes
> > getting burned wakes you up.
> >
> > Voctor660

>
> Voctor
> In case you have not spotted this - and let us all know the result, please.
>
> Quote:
> Originally Posted by Dollarweed
> Thanks Superraccoon,
> Your instructions worked fine on my computer. After folowing your steps
> I had to reboot my computer 3 times, then presto, everything was normal
> again. Again, thanks for posting the computer fix.
>
> Allstarrob Can someone e-mail me specific instructions how to fix
> problem (delete) ATI PCI Express 3GIO FilterDriver update for Vista
> that effected my video screen etc.. Much appreciated! send to
> allstarrob@aol.com
>
> Vindows Vista
>
> 1. Go to Device Manager (To access device manager, Go to
> START/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER
>
> 2. Expand "SYSTEM DEVICES"
>
> 3. Find "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER DRIVER" and delete it.
>
> 4. Reboot
>
> 5. Check and make sure "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER" has been
> deleted.
> If it has not, restart at step 3.
>
> 6. If it has been deleted, Reboot 1 or 2 more times and then your
> computer should be OK.
>
> I give credit to Superraccoon.
>
> This worked on my computer but I do not guarantee it will work on
> yours.
>
> Best of luck.
>
>
> --
> Dollarweed
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dollarweed's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35234
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=853247
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007
voctor660
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot after Windows update.
Well I am back up and running with a new install of Vista.

"voctor660" wrote:

> It looks like a great solution but when I ran startup repair from the dvd I
> received the following message: "Startup repair cannot repair this computer
> automatically." Sending more info can help Microsoft create solutions.
>
> Details: Problem Signature
> Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
> Problem Signature 01 AutoFailover
> " " 02
> 6.0.6000.168386.6.0.6000.16386
> " " 03 6
> " " 04 458759
> " " 05 Bad Driver
> " " 06 Bad Driver
> " " 07 0
> " " 08 3
> " " 09 WrpRepair
> " " 10 1168
>
> I also tried system restore-I had five available but each one failed. I
> tried to boot into safe mode but I seemed to be in a loop that kept telling
> me to try Startup Repair. (Sigh!!!)
>
> Thanks again for the information I wish I had a better outcome.
>
> "antioch" wrote:
>
> > "voctor660" <voctor660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3ACA2635-69FF-42ED-AB72-044DBBCD404F@microsoft.com...
> > > Thanks for the advice and I will be more cautious in the future.
> > > Sometimes
> > > getting burned wakes you up.
> > >
> > > Voctor660

> >
> > Voctor
> > In case you have not spotted this - and let us all know the result, please.
> >
> > Quote:
> > Originally Posted by Dollarweed
> > Thanks Superraccoon,
> > Your instructions worked fine on my computer. After folowing your steps
> > I had to reboot my computer 3 times, then presto, everything was normal
> > again. Again, thanks for posting the computer fix.
> >
> > Allstarrob Can someone e-mail me specific instructions how to fix
> > problem (delete) ATI PCI Express 3GIO FilterDriver update for Vista
> > that effected my video screen etc.. Much appreciated! send to
> > allstarrob@aol.com
> >
> > Vindows Vista
> >
> > 1. Go to Device Manager (To access device manager, Go to
> > START/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER
> >
> > 2. Expand "SYSTEM DEVICES"
> >
> > 3. Find "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER DRIVER" and delete it.
> >
> > 4. Reboot
> >
> > 5. Check and make sure "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER" has been
> > deleted.
> > If it has not, restart at step 3.
> >
> > 6. If it has been deleted, Reboot 1 or 2 more times and then your
> > computer should be OK.
> >
> > I give credit to Superraccoon.
> >
> > This worked on my computer but I do not guarantee it will work on
> > yours.
> >
> > Best of luck.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Dollarweed
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Dollarweed's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35234
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=853247
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Home Premium: Where are 'windows update/installation logs located'? Windows servicing failed... captfbgnet microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 01-09-2008 21:45
Article ID: 931711 Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium et Windows Vista Starter enregistrent des informations d'utilisateur seulement pour la session en cours KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Windows update fails - Vista Home Premium Error 80040153 newschapmj1 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 10-01-2007 07:54
Windows Vista Home Premium update Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-15-2007 13:14
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit Boot Faliure / Cant Reinstall =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 04-11-2007 19:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:17.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120