KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

Abu Anas

KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
language).

Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?

Regards.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
STRONGLY suggest that you contact MS and report this issue:

> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
> States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
>
> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
> update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Abu Anas wrote:

> I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
> appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
> English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
> KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
> and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
> language).
>
> Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
> Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
>
> Regards.

sajid

Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will download
it again) wait for microsoft to fix it

> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
> > States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
> >
> > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
> > update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Abu Anas wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
> > appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
> > English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
> > KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
> > and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
> > language).
> >
> > Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
> > Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
> >
> > Regards.

antioch

"sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
> turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will
> download
> it again) wait for microsoft to fix it

You dont have to turn off autoupdates - just hide that update in the Hidden
Folder in WU Home - this will stop the yellow shield popping up and you can
get it out next time you go to WU.
Antioch

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because
there is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/943521.mspx

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-061 – Critical
Vulnerability in Windows URI Handling Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(943460)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-061.mspx

> Microsoft has not identified any workarounds for this vulnerability.

You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced
is not wise in this situation.
It's a NO-CHARGE support case.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

sajid wrote:

> i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
> turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will download
> it again) wait for microsoft to fix it
>

>>>For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
>>>States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.

>>>For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
>>>update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Abu Anas wrote:
>>

>>>I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
>>>appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
>>>English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
>>>KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
>>>and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
>>>language).
>>>
>>>Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
>>>Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
>>>
>>>Regards.

antioch

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> not wise in this situation.
> It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.

Antioch

sajid

Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
i am still wating for MS to fix this problem.i know i should not turn off
auto update
but what can i do?is there any trick i can apply without removing KB943460.

"antioch" wrote:

> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> > Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> > is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> > You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> > Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> > not wise in this situation.
> > It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
> MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.
>
> Antioch

sajid

Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI
man still no fix from microsoft

"sajid" wrote:

> i am still wating for MS to fix this problem.i know i should not turn off
> auto update
> but what can i do?is there any trick i can apply without removing KB943460.
>
> "antioch" wrote:
>

> > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> > > Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> > > is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> > > You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> > > Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> > > not wise in this situation.
> > > It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
> > >

> > > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > >

> > You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
> > MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.
> >
> > Antioch

antioch

> man still no fix from microsoft

What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is more
than one way to try.

Antioch

sajid