Cryptographic Service

Edward W. Thompson

Cryptographic Service
I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the past
3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not verify the
integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.

I have run all the advice found by 'Googling' (regsvr, 'Dial-a-fix' etc,
MS KB943144) which doesn't fix the problem. If I restore the Registry to
an earlier version, I can install the updates but within hours the problem
returns (I test by trying to run an update in an attempt to pin point the
problem). It seems as there is something that is corrupting the Registry.
The only event between the system operating satisfactorily and the problem
is installing Apple's Quicktime and Itunes. It seems highly unlikely that
these programs cause the problem.

As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner). I have run sfc /scannow in case
anyone suggests this.

The facts seems to indicate a virus or malware of some sort but I haven't
seen any suggestion that a virus or malware gives rise to the problem I
have.

I am most reluctant to even think of a format and reinstall of WINXP but I
can't think of anything else that will likely solve this very annoying
problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Cryptographic Service
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?
If not install it.

Otherwise:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updatinf.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for
>the past 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup
>could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
>Cryptographic service is running on this computer." when trying to
>run a MS update.
>
> I have run all the advice found by 'Googling' (regsvr, 'Dial-a-fix'
> etc, MS KB943144) which doesn't fix the problem. If I restore the
> Registry to an earlier version, I can install the updates but within
> hours the problem returns (I test by trying to run an update in an
> attempt to pin point the problem). It seems as there is something
> that is corrupting the Registry. The only event between the system
> operating satisfactorily and the problem is installing Apple's
> Quicktime and Itunes. It seems highly unlikely that these programs
> cause the problem.
>
> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free
> (Ad-Aware, Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner). I have run
> sfc /scannow in case anyone suggests this.
>
> The facts seems to indicate a virus or malware of some sort but I
> haven't seen any suggestion that a virus or malware gives rise to
> the problem I have.
>
> I am most reluctant to even think of a format and reinstall of WINXP
> but I can't think of anything else that will likely solve this very
> annoying problem.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Edward W. Thompson

Re: Cryptographic Service

news51251AD-E5B5-43E2-8B24-13B2D01481CC@microsoft.com...
> Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?
> If not install it.
>
> Otherwise:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updatinf.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

SP2 is installed. I will work through your suggestions but I have
previously tried them all, so nothing new there unfortunately.

What I have now found is by restoring a previous and what I term 'good'
Registry (ERUNT) I can get the Update Install function to work i.e. no
cryptographic service problems but once I do a 'cold' reboot the problems
return. If I do a 'warm' reboot (restart) then there is no problem. Very
strange.

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the
>>past 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not
>>verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic
>>service is running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.
>>
>> I have run all the advice found by 'Googling' (regsvr, 'Dial-a-fix' etc,
>> MS KB943144) which doesn't fix the problem. If I restore the Registry
>> to an earlier version, I can install the updates but within hours the
>> problem returns (I test by trying to run an update in an attempt to pin
>> point the problem). It seems as there is something that is corrupting
>> the Registry. The only event between the system operating satisfactorily
>> and the problem is installing Apple's Quicktime and Itunes. It seems
>> highly unlikely that these programs cause the problem.
>>
>> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
>> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner). I have run sfc /scannow in
>> case anyone suggests this.
>>
>> The facts seems to indicate a virus or malware of some sort but I haven't
>> seen any suggestion that a virus or malware gives rise to the problem I
>> have.
>>
>> I am most reluctant to even think of a format and reinstall of WINXP but
>> I can't think of anything else that will likely solve this very annoying
>> problem.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Cryptographic Service
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> schrieb:

>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the past
> 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not verify the
> integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
> running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.

Have you checked that the service is indeed running?
Start -> Run -> services.msc [Enter key]

Are there any related entries to be found in the Event Log?
Start -> Run -> eventvwr.msc [Enter key]

> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner).

Ehm, please don't tell us, that this armada is permanently running in
the background, is it?

Bye,
Freu"Assuming you're posting from the machine affected"di
Edward W. Thompson

Re: Cryptographic Service

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> schrieb:
>
>>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the
>>past
>> 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not verify
>> the
>> integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
>> running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.

> Have you checked that the service is indeed running?
> Start -> Run -> services.msc [Enter key]
>
> Are there any related entries to be found in the Event Log?
> Start -> Run -> eventvwr.msc [Enter key]
>
>> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
>> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner).

> Ehm, please don't tell us, that this armada is permanently running in
> the background, is it?
>
> Bye,
> Freu"Assuming you're posting from the machine affected"di

As far as I can tell ther service is running and there are no relevant
entries in the 'event log'.

What I have now done:

1. Machine operating normally receiving the message "Setup could not
verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic
service is running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.

2. Run msconfig and select 'diagnostic start'. Restart. Run MS update
on a selected 'update' download. Update runs.

2. Run msconfig and select 'selective start'. Deselect 'startup items'.
Restart. Run MS update on selected 'update' download. Update fails with
'cryptographic service' message.

3. Run msconfig with selective startup, enable 'startup items' and
deselect 'services'. Restart. Run MS update on 'selected download'.
Update runs.

I really don't know what to conclude from this exercise. I have run sfc
\scannow without any effect to the above. It appears that the Update
service runs even without the 'services' being loaded and doesn't run when
'services' are loaded. Seems strange. Perhaps someone can offer an
explanation, I'm stumped!

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Cryptographic Service
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> schrieb:

>>>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the
>>>past
>>> 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not verify
>>> the
>>> integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
>>> running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.

>> Have you checked that the service is indeed running?
>> Start -> Run -> services.msc [Enter key]

> As far as I can tell ther service is running and there are no relevant
> entries in the 'event log'.

What happens if you stop the service from there and restart the service
afterwards?

>>> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
>>> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner).

>> Ehm, please don't tell us, that this armada is permanently running in
>> the background, is it?

> 2. Run msconfig and select 'diagnostic start'. Restart. Run MS update
> on a selected 'update' download. Update runs.

Fine, now you have to find out, which one of your "security software"
armada is causing the issue. Spybot S&D's tea timer (or resident pro-
tection) may be causing this, Trojan Hunter maybe too and a misconfi-
gured CCleaner too (deleting too much before the update installation
itself starts).

Bye,
Freudi

>>> Have you checked that the service is indeed running?
>>> Start -> Run -> services.msc [Enter key]

>> As far as I can tell ther service is running and there are no relevant
>> entries in the 'event log'.

> What happens if you stop the service from there and restart the service
> afterwards?

>>> Ehm, please don't tell us, that this armada is permanently running in
>>> the background, is it?

>> 2. Run msconfig and select 'diagnostic start'. Restart. Run MS
>> update
>> on a selected 'update' download. Update runs.

> Fine, now you have to find out, which one of your "security software"
> armada is causing the issue. Spybot S&D's tea timer (or resident pro-
> tection) may be causing this, Trojan Hunter maybe too and a misconfi-
> gured CCleaner too (deleting too much before the update installation
> itself starts).
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Thank you for your attempts to help but please don't try to be a smart ass
at my expense. I am trying to obtain help to solve a problem not setting
myself up as an 'aunt sally' for your benefit.

My security 'amada' as you put it, is reasonable and of course does not run
in the background, other than the firewall (Sygate) and the AVP (NOD32) both
of which have been eliminated as the source of the problem. I certainly did
not indicate I use Tea Timer and I have naturally eliminated as a source of
the problem, as best I can, all programs that run in the background.

I am looking for a solution other than that I can find myself by 'Googling'.
To date you do not appear to have any original thoughts on the problem.
Thank you just the same.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Cryptographic Service
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> schrieb:

> Thank you for your attempts to help but please don't try to be a smart ass
> at my expense.

Huh? You've gotten me totally wrong - or I did in offering my help in
solving your problem. Your choice.

> My security 'amada' as you put it, is reasonable and of course does not run
> in the background, other than the firewall (Sygate) and the AVP (NOD32) both
> of which have been eliminated as the source of the problem.

You've *uninstalled* them? Yes or no? If no, how have you "eleminated"
them "as the source of the problem"? What about Spybot S&D, AdAware,
Trojan Hunter and CCleaner? You know, much doesn't help much. And you
know about http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158 already, right?

What about

>> As far as I can tell ther service is running and there are no relevant
>> entries in the 'event log'.

> What happens if you stop the service from there and restart the service
> afterwards?

No answer? Well, *I* don't have a problem with installing updates,
you know?

> I am looking for a solution other than that I can find myself by 'Googling'.

Good luck. If you don't want help from others trying to help you from
the outside not beeing able to have a look on your system nor into your
head, why are posting here? Sorry, but since no one knows what extacly
you've done and you're not willing to answers questions, help is nearly
impossible. You may want to call MS-PSS instead. They're beeing payed
to help even such smart guys like you seems to be.

> To date you do not appear to have any original thoughts on the problem.

Thanks, I liked beeing pissed for trying to help.

Wishes,
Freudi
antioch

Re: Cryptographic Service

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the past
>3 or more years.

WIN XP with SP2 plus all updates since then?

> I am now receiving the message "Setup could not verify the integrity of
> the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on
> this computer."

And you have read these
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_014.html
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1064280626

Plus the others listed here
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

> when trying to run a MS update.

What update/s was/were these?
What method did you employ to download and install?

> The only event between the system operating satisfactorily and the problem
> is installing Apple's Quicktime and Itunes. It seems highly > unlikely
> that these programs cause the problem.

What updates have you previously been able to install since the install of
AQ and Itunes? - or is the current attempt the first and only time you have
had to update since their installation?

> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner). I have run sfc /scannow in
> case anyone suggests this.

Well one can only ever assume one is spyware/malware free :-(

> The facts seems to indicate a virus or malware of some sort but I haven't
> seen any suggestion that a virus or malware gives rise to the problem I
> have.
> I am most reluctant to even think of a format and reinstall > of WINXP but
> I can't think of anything else that will likely solve this very annoying
> problem.

Brace yourself for the thought that this may be the only solution - you will
not be the first nor the last to have to take this course of action.

> Anyone have any ideas?

Not really - but then help can only come from interrogation in complex
cases, so be patient - most probs. with this Cryptographic thing have been
resolved - but only with the links as above though not recently if I
remember correctly.
There are so many ways to skin the MS update cat - it is a wonder sometimes
how silly little actions sometimes solve a problem - like disabling an AV
prog or two.

Rgds
Antioch

Edward W. Thompson

Re: Cryptographic Service

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> news51251AD-E5B5-43E2-8B24-13B2D01481CC@microsoft.com...
>> Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?
>> If not install it.
>>
>> Otherwise:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updatinf.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org

> SP2 is installed. I will work through your suggestions but I have
> previously tried them all, so nothing new there unfortunately.
>
> What I have now found is by restoring a previous and what I term 'good'
> Registry (ERUNT) I can get the Update Install function to work i.e. no
> cryptographic service problems but once I do a 'cold' reboot the problems
> return. If I do a 'warm' reboot (restart) then there is no problem. Very
> strange.
>

>> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I am running WINXP Pro that has been installed on this machine for the
>>>past 3 or more years. I am now receiving the message "Setup could not
>>>verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic
>>>service is running on this computer." when trying to run a MS update.
>>>
>>> I have run all the advice found by 'Googling' (regsvr, 'Dial-a-fix' etc,
>>> MS KB943144) which doesn't fix the problem. If I restore the Registry
>>> to an earlier version, I can install the updates but within hours the
>>> problem returns (I test by trying to run an update in an attempt to pin
>>> point the problem). It seems as there is something that is corrupting
>>> the Registry. The only event between the system operating satisfactorily
>>> and the problem is installing Apple's Quicktime and Itunes. It seems
>>> highly unlikely that these programs cause the problem.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell the system is 'malware' and virus free (Ad-Aware,
>>> Spybot, Trojan Hunter and NOD32, Ccleaner). I have run sfc /scannow in
>>> case anyone suggests this.
>>>
>>> The facts seems to indicate a virus or malware of some sort but I
>>> haven't seen any suggestion that a virus or malware gives rise to the
>>> problem I have.
>>>
>>> I am most reluctant to even think of a format and reinstall of WINXP but
>>> I can't think of anything else that will likely solve this very annoying
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?

I now believe that in my case the problem of "Setup could not verify the
integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
running on this computer." was not due to problems with the 'cryptographic
service' as appears to be often the case but was related to the 'inf' file
association.. I found the 'inf' association in the Registry at HKCR was
missing (no 'install' on the drop down menu when rt clicking an inf file).
After I reinstalled the 'inf' association in the Registry (xp_inf_assoc.zip
courtesy of Doug Knox) the problem was resolved.

It seems clear from the record (Google) that in the majority of cases the
problem lies with the 'cryptographic.service' but my experience suggests
problems with the Registry '.inf' association may result in a similar
problem when trying to load MS updates. This solution seems to fit the
observed facts in my case, that is if I replaced the current Registry with
an earlier version, the problem was solved i.e. the inf file association was
restored. What I don't understand is why the inf association was deleted in
the first place and whether there is something in my system that will
systematically remove that file association. Time will tell, but at least I
now think I understand better why I have/had the problem and how to address
it..

Thanks to all who tried to help.