Windows Vista Update #941649 causes major crash (Blue Screen of De

JT

Windows Vista Update #941649 causes major crash (Blue Screen of De
I'm crashing (blue screen death/dump) during Windows Vista Business Update #
941649…
Running Windows Vista Business, all current updates installed. P4-3.0 GHz.
W/HT, Intel 945 chipset/board, 2 GB ram, SATA drive, ATI graphics. I've had
this running and stable for 6-8 months now. Originally installed a fresh copy
of Vista Biz, 32 bit and aside from the occasional Vista bug here and there,
it's
been pretty stable...up until now. I can't imagine I'm the only one having
this same problem. When I install update #941649, my pc re-boots as it's
suppose to, when booting-up and during "configuring updates", I get a blue
screen dumb and in a matter or 1-2 seconds, it reboots on its own and will
continue to cycle unless I intervene. It happens so fast that I can't even
read the error message. I've tried re-booting and selecting "last known good
configuration" and "safe mode" and still the same problem. The only way I
can get
around this is to boot-up in "safe mode with command prompt", run a "chkdsk
/f" command, let it reboot and perform a chkdsk and then it boots up but
without the update installed. I've also tried running the "SFC /SCANNOW"
command from the command prompt and that runs and returns an error "Windows
resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".
Needless to say, I'm not installing the update as I've tried several times
with the same failed results.

Any ideas or work a rounds out there? I understand this is a pretty
significant update and possibly one or two updates away from Vista SP1.

skrieder@gmail.com

Re: Windows Vista Update #941649 causes major crash (Blue Screen ofDe
I'm having the same problem only when I boot I get the option to enter
the safe modes , last known good config., and start normally...but
after I do any of these things I crash dump. I cant even run safe
with cmd. So I cant try the chkdsk command or anything....WTF?
dyladk92

Re: Windows Vista Update #941649 causes major crash (Blue Screen o
It's way late now for this info but here it is anywho !!!!
Go to the knowledge base article at--->http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
There is a DOWNLOAD for that update to install standalone. It suposedly is a
little diferent than what is posted. It took me about three attempts or the
last 3 weeks to get this to install either but my son's Dell E521 finally DID
take it. I think ???? I was a little leery of trying it over and over but I
got "NO FEAR" bucked up and went for it anyway !!! I did have a current hard
drive back-up though just in case.

Good Luck
Too Bad Micro can't appologize and get this right for the consumers in all
this time.
I also had to hide that update at the update site. That makes TWO updates in
NINE months I've had to hide that was bogus for my son's Dell E521 Vista
system.

"skrieder@gmail.com" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem only when I boot I get the option to enter
> the safe modes , last known good config., and start normally...but
> after I do any of these things I crash dump. I cant even run safe
> with cmd. So I cant try the chkdsk command or anything....WTF?

Ex Pea

Re: Windows Vista Update #941649 causes major crash (Blue Screen o
Those Mac commercials are right! I have had similar issues on a Dell 620
laptop. By my count M$ now owes me 9 hours worth of salary to cover all of
the time I have watched this stupid KB reboot my PC since early November.
Here is a sample of my latest attempt:

I successfully installed "Update for Windows (KB941649), Successful,
Important" directly from the download website, but Windows Update does not
believe it and keeps trying to install the same thing. Finally I had enough
and let it try, for which I was punished with the following: "Update for
Windows Vista (KB941649), Failed, Recommended". Notice the subtle difference
between the titles. It is ridiculous because I have one message right above
the other in my Windows Update View update history applet. GGrrr!

Now this supposedly "recommended" update keeps trying to install itself so
that every day or so I have to check the auto update balloon (just in case
there really is something new) then close the auto update applet, because
there is no choice or capability to "hide" this particular update. This
certainly has "improved my user experience"!

The funny thing is, I'm one of the evaluators for our corporate Windows
Vista rollout! Can you guess which way my vote is going?

Too bad nobody from M$ reads these posts. An apology would be nice, but a
functional update that was forced on everyone's PC would be nicer. Can't
Bill spell QA?