Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update

JoseG

Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update
I installed an available update through Windows Update last night and when I
rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.

They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
issue.

I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
get the same problem.

I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
& keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.

Suggestions, anyone?

--
Thanks
JoseG

RE: Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update
I "fixed" my problem by booting from my Vista Install CD/DVD, choosing repair
and then restoring the system prior to the last update. Mosue and Keyboard
now works.
--
Thanks

"JoseG" wrote:

> I installed an available update through Windows Update last night and when I
> rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
>
> They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> issue.
>
> I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> get the same problem.
>
> I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?
>
> --
> Thanks

ccaplette

RE: Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update
-Bump-

I can confirm that this is an issue with the latest update. Mouse and
Keyobard stopped responding after installing the latest update today.

"JoseG" wrote:

> I installed an available update through Windows Update last night and when I
> rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
>
> They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> issue.
>
> I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> get the same problem.
>
> I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?
>
> --
> Thanks

jeffreyd.davis@gmail.com

Re: Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update
I can also confirm this. Windows update disables "legacy USB devices"--
things like keyboards and mice...

On Nov 15, 1:44 pm, ccaplette <ccaple...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> -Bump-
>
> I can confirm that this is an issue with the latest update. Mouse and
> Keyobard stopped responding after installing the latest update today.
>
> "JoseG" wrote:
> > I installed an available update through Windows Update last night and when I
> > rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.

> > They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> > issue.

> > I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> > nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> > get the same problem.

> > I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> > & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.

> > Suggestions, anyone?

> > --
> > Thanks

Daniel Dyson

USB and Keyboard problem solved
The way that I solved this problem was to plug in an old keyboard with the round connector. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar mouse, so I had to use the keyboard to navigate through windows. Vista creates an automatic restore point before it installs any updates, so you should be able to go to Control Panel -> Backup and Restore Center -> click on (sorry, I mean tab to) "Use system Restore to fix problems and undo changes to windows" -> tab down to the second option "Choose a different restore point" (use spacebar to change the option and press enter). Select the restore point before the update (released on 14 Nov 2007).
Next -> Finish -> Sorted.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Daniel Dyson

Re: Keyboard and Mouse not working after windows update
The way that I solved this problem was to plug in an old keyboard with the round connector. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar mouse, so I had to use the keyboard to navigate through windows. Vista creates an automatic restore point before it installs any updates, so you should be able to go to Control Panel -> Backup and Restore Center -> click on (sorry, I mean tab to) "Use system Restore to fix problems and undo changes to windows" -> tab down to the second option "Choose a different restore point" (use spacebar to change the option and press enter). Select the restore point before the update (released on 14 Nov 2007).
Next -> Finish -> Sorted.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
ccaplette

RE: Keyboard and Mouse do not work after windows update
Just an update, in my case it seems that a Razer keyboard and mouse update
was to blame for this. It seems the timing of the updates coincided.
Currently all vista updates are installed and no USB problems.