Last nights update killed my computer

Brian

Last nights update killed my computer
HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.

- Brian
kenkcj

Re: Last nights update killed my computer
If its not letting you go through recovery mode or safe mode, I honestly
have no idea what would be an alternative to getting back into windows
without fully reinstalling the system. However, if you have another
computer, you can either take the hard drive out and install it temporarily
into that computer so you don't lose any data. This would be the best course
of action in my opinion...
Best of luck
-kenkcj

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS
> weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT
> boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then
> it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it
> tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times
> but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I
> try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3
> different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops
> around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the
> Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair,
> it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash
> drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me
> know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

dg3944

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
It killed my operating system. Everything was fine until I restarted for the
update now I can no longer navigate internet explorer nor can I even log in
to msn explorer. I can't log into anything I am online but nothing is
working properly. I have been told that did something to my tcp/ip
settings and I have no connection and the only way to fix it is to take my
computer and pay to have someone work on it. This is BS. I have even
uninstalled the update and it is still screwed up. Anyone know what is going
on?

"Brian" wrote:

> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

Brian

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
It would be nice if a MVP would reply with some information regarding
whatever update hosed up so many people. They seem to be very quiet this
morning...

"dg3944" wrote:

> It killed my operating system. Everything was fine until I restarted for the
> update now I can no longer navigate internet explorer nor can I even log in
> to msn explorer. I can't log into anything I am online but nothing is
> working properly. I have been told that did something to my tcp/ip
> settings and I have no connection and the only way to fix it is to take my
> computer and pay to have someone work on it. This is BS. I have even
> uninstalled the update and it is still screwed up. Anyone know what is going
> on?
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
> > HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> > overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> > of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> > up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> > tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> > me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> > look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> > for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> > still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> > to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> > have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> > restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> > the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> > disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> > goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> > nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> > Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> > so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> > soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
> >
> > - Brian

JT

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
I've had almost the same problem as you. Although not a fix by any means, I
was able to get my pc booted-up. Issue seems to be with the latest Windows
Update # 941600. Once booted again, DO NOT install said update. I've tried
several times and have wasted hours with the same results.
Here's my post looking for help. Maybe the steps I described in the post
could get you back on track as well. Good luck!
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

"Brian" wrote:

> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

Kerjner

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
Gentleman,

I had exactly the same problem and I've managed to fix it. I can't
guarantee it will work for you.

My computer did the auto updates last night and I too woke up with a
computer doing what I call the ole "boot loop" (constant rebooting).

I tried everything in these forums and the only thing that worked for me was
the following:

1.) Do CD/DVD boot using the Vista DVD disc
2.) It will launch the Vista Installer ... asking to install in english ya
da ya da
3.) When you hit next you should see "repair" at the bottom
4.) Alt R for repair
5.) Vista searches for the Vista installation and will ask you to confirm
the Vista installation that it finds
6.) You accept and after that it will ask to repair/restore. Vista does a
restore prior to the update.

My computer booted up fine after this. As an extra precaution I did an
additional restore back a couple of days just to make sure the update was
100% gone.

I hope this helps you guys. If you do get up and running remember to
disable auto updates. It's great in principal but it can ruin your day/week
when it bungs up.

Regards, Kerj.

"Brian" wrote:

> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

Bern

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
After downloading the latest windows update for XP I ran CC Cleaner which
just ran and ran and ran forever, then when I rebooted the PC I got the
dreaded blue screen of death. It also appears to have wiped out Norton Goback
because I couldn't restore to any time or date. I can boot in to safe mode
but every attempt to go into normal XP just dies to the blue screen.
Eventually after making sure everything was backup up I removed the last
Windows update via control panel in safe mode and guess what - my PC works
again.

"Brian" wrote:

> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

campwhisler

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
Help i downloaded the updates last night and the same thing happened to me
but i had downloaded vista from microsoft and never got a disc so i am
scrambling to find a disc to be able to get to the screen to repair the
computer.It makes me so angry that we download these updates and then our
whole system crashes.help i dont know what to do i called microsoft today and
was online for one hour and still no pc.any solutions please respond.

"Brian" wrote:

> HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
>
> - Brian

Brian

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
Sorry to hear that...I know it blows big time. I am STILL in the process
after several attempts to reinstall Vista with no luck so far. I'm trying
one more time today, but it's almost at the point where I'm going to
reinstall XP and be done with it for a while. I tried the Vista DVD repair
tool and that didn't work my first time around and now it seems that Vista
won't reinstall unless there's a driver already loaded for the hard drive! I
never had this problem installing XP -EVER. If you can't find a Vista CD
then I recommend installing XP and wait it out until all this Vista drama
levels out. While you're working with XP then get Microsoft to send you the
CD and you'll have it ready for when we're all forced to go to Vista for
good. As far as the "Update of Death" is concerned, I'm still waiting to
hear something about that from the official voice of the company...how can
Microsoft cause so many problems and not publicly address it?

Anyhow, good luck with yours as I continue to work with mine.

Take care.
-Brian

"campwhisler" wrote:

> Help i downloaded the updates last night and the same thing happened to me
> but i had downloaded vista from microsoft and never got a disc so i am
> scrambling to find a disc to be able to get to the screen to repair the
> computer.It makes me so angry that we download these updates and then our
> whole system crashes.help i dont know what to do i called microsoft today and
> was online for one hour and still no pc.any solutions please respond.
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
> > HELP! I Used my computer last night, 11-14-2007, just fine. Left it on
> > overnight and this morning my PC was trying to "fix" itself due to MS weapon
> > of mass distruction installed around 3 AM Pacific time. My PC will NOT boot
> > up at all. Now when I try to reboot, I get "System Recovery Options" then it
> > tries over and over to fix my computer but it will not boot. Then it tells
> > me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I
> > look at the "Diagnosis and repair details" it says everything is OK except
> > for one thing: "Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but
> > still cannot determine the cause of the problem." Very helpful. Then I try
> > to execute the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and
> > have several options including System Restore which I have tried 3 different
> > restore points with no luck. After restart, it just loops and loops around
> > the System recovery processes in vain. I have tried booting from the Vista
> > disk and it has two options...install and repair. When I choose repair, it
> > goes through, again, what I describe above. I really don't want to have to
> > nuke the PC and reinstall Windows but at this point I can't even get into
> > Windows - not even via Safe Mode - to at least copy my files to a flash drive
> > so I'm at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know
> > soon so I can take the appropriate action. Thanks everyone.
> >
> > - Brian

Kerjner

RE: Last nights update killed my computer
Gentleman,

For the guy that downloaded Vista you should be able to get the actual DVD
disc by mail. Everyone who downloaded and purchased online gets this. I
did it this way and requested the disc.

Brian, I think if you run repair again off the DVD you might have the option
to restore to a particular day rather than let Vista self heal.

Try the DVD once again and check again when you get the repair area to see
if you can do so. I was lucky the self healing worked for me right off the
bat... I'm doing my best to point you guys in the right direction since i
understand your frustration.

Kerj.