IE7 Not Auto Installing

Neil

IE7 Not Auto Installing
A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...

The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve, went
to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need user
intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not support
an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
with WSUS3.

Thanks in advance

After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me approve
the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October only
to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence my
problems above ?

andrewg

RE: IE7 Not Auto Installing
I am in the same boat. Expired Oct. 4 IE7 update is all I have as an option
in WSUS, no older revisions to try even. This problem has been around for
more than a month with no solution that I can find. I've posted in a few of
these newsgroups over the past few days and no responces so far, even in the
technet managed newsgroup that is supposed to be answered within 24 hours...

"Neil" wrote:

> A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...
>

> The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve, went
> to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
> clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
> IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need user
> intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not support
> an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
> Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
> with WSUS3.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me approve
> the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October only
> to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence my
> problems above ?

PA Bear

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:

=============================

Personally, I'd be remiss to auto-install IE7 on any machine:

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!

[And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that you
check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install any
critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.]

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...
>
> The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve, went
> to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
> clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
> IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need
> user
> intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not
> support
> an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
> Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
> with WSUS3.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me approve
> the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October
> only
> to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence
> my
> problems above ?

andrewg

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Thanks for the info. Perhaps you might suggest how to deploy IE7 then? I am
not going to hand install it on 100+ machines, that is the whole point of
having WSUS and Group Policy. I could deploy via an IEAK7 created MSI but I
worry about the upgrade and maintenance issues involved with that. Any
comments on the current MS suggested way to deploy IE7 in a corporate
environment with no user intervention?

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
> microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
>
> =============================
>
> Personally, I'd be remiss to auto-install IE7 on any machine:
>
> Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> [And I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that you
> check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install any
> critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
> Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
> IE7's additional security.]
>
> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...
> >
> > The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve, went
> > to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
> > clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
> > IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need
> > user
> > intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not
> > support
> > an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
> > Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
> > with WSUS3.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me approve
> > the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October
> > only
> > to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence
> > my
> > problems above ?

PA Bear

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Somone from the WSUS newsgroup may have an idea for you. (It's not my area
of expertise, hence my forward to that newsgroup.)

IEAK7 would make sense to me.
--
~PA Bear

andrewg wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Perhaps you might suggest how to deploy IE7 then? I
> am
> not going to hand install it on 100+ machines, that is the whole point of
> having WSUS and Group Policy. I could deploy via an IEAK7 created MSI but
> worry about the upgrade and maintenance issues involved with that. Any
> comments on the current MS suggested way to deploy IE7 in a corporate
> environment with no user intervention?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
>> microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.
>>
>> On the web:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>>
>> In your newsreader:
>>
>> =============================
>>
>> Personally, I'd be remiss to auto-install IE7 on any machine:
>>
>> Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:
>>
>> Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>>
>> [And I strongly recommend using
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that
>> you
>> check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install
>> any
>> critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
>> Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
>> IE7's additional security.]
>>
>> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...
>>>
>>> The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve,
>>> went
>>> to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
>>> clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
>>> IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need
>>> user
>>> intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not
>>> support
>>> an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
>>> Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
>>> with WSUS3.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me
>>> approve
>>> the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October
>>> only
>>> to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence
>>> my
>>> problems above ?

Dave Hendrix

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Anybody else here having this issue? if you restrict your google search to
the past two months it seems like I'm not alone but no good answer. My WSUS
server has one approved update for "internet explorer 7.0 for Windows XP"
that doesn't appear to be applicable to english language computers and then a
second update for "internet explorer 7 for windows xp" (note no "7.0") that
was suposedly released Oct 04, 2007 but when I try to approve it it tells me
I can't because the update is expired. I'm succesfully synching 4 times a
day and all other updates work. Previously, the internet explorer update was
declined for all targeted groups but now we must urgently rollout to one
target group and it isn't cooperating. thx

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
> microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
>
> =============================
>
> Personally, I'd be remiss to auto-install IE7 on any machine:
>
> Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> [And I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that you
> check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install any
> critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
> Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
> IE7's additional security.]
>
> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A bit worried my initial post has disappeared ...
> >
> > The initial install for IE7 was expired on WSUS so could not approve, went
> > to the catalog website to approve IE7 again, it all downloaded fine, set
> > clients to auto download and auto install IE7 from WSUS3 server.
> > IE7 downloads to clients but does not install. The update seems to need
> > user
> > intervention -- The selected update requires user input and does not
> > support
> > an installation deadline -- appears on the update inside WSUS3.
> > Is there a way i can install IE7 automatically without user intervention
> > with WSUS3.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > After redownloading IE7 from the catalogue website it wont let me approve
> > the new update as it has expired ? Have Microsoft release IE7 in October
> > only
> > to expire it, leaving us with only expired versions to download ?? Hence
> > my
> > problems above ?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Dave Hendrix wrote:

> Anybody else here having this issue? if you restrict your google search to
> the past two months it seems like I'm not alone but no good answer. My WSUS
> server has one approved update for "internet explorer 7.0 for Windows XP"
> that doesn't appear to be applicable to english language computers [...]

Check the revision history for that update to see whether you've got the
previous revision (which includes English language) on your server. If so,
unapprove the latest revision and approve the previous revision. Unfortunately
at present there is no solution for WSUS servers which don't have the previous
revision in the revision history.

We're expecting news on this Real Soon Now [tm].

Harry.
Dave Hendrix

Re: IE7 Not Auto Installing
Thx for the response and some validation that I'm not entirely nuts.
Unfortunatly I don't have the old update to revert too. Is there a
particular site or kb article that references this problem so that I could
track for when an update is posted? Any idea if it will only be released at
one of the "patche tuesdays" or will it come when ready.