install problem

mistral

install problem
Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
Thanks foe ur help
Mistral
Engel

RE: install problem
Hello Mistral,

Test with this diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working, etc etc.
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority updates),
and apply all offered updates
<http://www.update.microsoft.com>

Once that is finished, can you verify the update installs?

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ┬║ut.
- -- ---

"mistral" wrote:

> Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
> specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
> Thanks foe ur help
> Mistral

mistral

RE: install problem
Hello Engel
Ran the genuine test went ok
updates KB 842773 bit.... and KB898461 failed

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Mistral,
>
> Test with this diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working, etc etc.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>
>

> Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority updates),
> and apply all offered updates
> <http://www.update.microsoft.com>
>
> Once that is finished, can you verify the update installs?
>

> I hope this post is helpful.
>

> Let us know how it works ┬║ut.
> - -- ---
>

> "mistral" wrote:
>
> > Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
> > specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
> > Thanks foe ur help
> > Mistral

TaurArian

RE: install problem
Why haven't you installed SP2 fo XP Pro?

"mistral" wrote:

> Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
> specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
> Thanks foe ur help
> Mistral

mistral

RE: install problem
I tried to install SP2 ...same result....when it gets to the end of the
extraction I get the message "cannot find file"

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Why haven't you installed SP2 fo XP Pro?
>
> "mistral" wrote:
>
> > Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
> > specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
> > Thanks foe ur help
> > Mistral

TaurArian

RE: install problem
Anything in the Windows Update log?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Have you performed any housecleaning etc recently like clearing out
temporary files, defrag, disk check etc.

"mistral" wrote:

> I tried to install SP2 ...same result....when it gets to the end of the
> extraction I get the message "cannot find file"
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Why haven't you installed SP2 fo XP Pro?
> >
> > "mistral" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi When I try to install ANY program i get the message " Cannot find the file
> > > specified.....am running XP pro SP1 and even the updates will not install
> > > Thanks foe ur help
> > > Mistral

mistral

RE: install problem
Yes I did all of that I even ran repair with the Dell installation CD deleted
all temporary files did a disk check and a defrag.....and turned off all
running progs before trying the install or updates.....I cant even install an
anti virus
Mistral

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Anything in the Windows Update log?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> Have you performed any housecleaning etc recently like clearing out
> temporary files, defrag, disk check etc.
>

> "mistral" wrote:
>
> > I tried to install SP2 ...same result....when it gets to the end of the
> > extraction I get the message "cannot find file"
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> > > Why haven't you installed SP2 fo XP Pro?

TaurArian

RE: install problem
It appears that your problem is more than Windows Update related.

Try the General Newsgroup in Windows XP. You need to clear up your other
issues before trying to update -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e... lang=en&cr=US

State that you have been unable to install anything (any programs) and the
reason why. Also advised that you have tried a repair install and other
things that you have done.