Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device

Steve House [MVP]

Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
I use an Echo AudioFire8 external audio interface that communicates with the
computer via a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. All worked fine until this morning
when Windows Media Player suddenly ceased to see the device, saying "sound
device not installed or driver missing." Windows control panel sees it just
fine as does Winamp, VLZ media player, and Real Player. Only Windows Media
Player (and the Internet Explorer player component) fail to see it's there.
The only thing that has changed in the system is the installation last night
of the Nov 13th update patch package. Have removed and resinstalled the
Audiofire drivers to no avail. Win XP, SP2 with all updates applied is the
OS. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Any ideas?

Steve H

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
"Steve House [MVP]" <sjhouse at hotmail dot com> schrieb:

>I use an Echo AudioFire8 external audio interface that communicates with the
> computer via a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. All worked fine until this morning
> when Windows Media Player suddenly ceased to see the device, saying "sound
> device not installed or driver missing." Windows control panel sees it just
> fine as does Winamp, VLZ media player, and Real Player. Only Windows Media
> Player (and the Internet Explorer player component) fail to see it's there.
> The only thing that has changed in the system is the installation last night
> of the Nov 13th update patch package. Have removed and resinstalled the
> Audiofire drivers to no avail. Win XP, SP2 with all updates applied is the
> OS. Anyone experienced a similar problem?

No, since I don't have an external audio device here

> Any ideas?

In case you want to make sure that KB943460 (MS07-061) is causing the
quirks on your machine, have a look into the "More Information" section
in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943460/en-us and use the registry
hack to *temporarily* disable the "advanced" URI checking coming with
KB943460. In case you've installed IE7 on your system, it's IMHO more
than *essential* to apply KB943460 and to *not* use the registry hacks.

Bye,
Freudi
Steve House [MVP]

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
Is this update known to affect I/O with firewire 1394 port devices?? Since
I'm,playing local mp3 and avi files, I'm trying to understand how a bad url
vulnerability should influence it.

Steve

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Steve House [MVP]" <sjhouse at hotmail dot com> schrieb:
>
>>I use an Echo AudioFire8 external audio interface that communicates with
>>the
>> computer via a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. All worked fine until this
>> morning
>> when Windows Media Player suddenly ceased to see the device, saying
>> "sound
>> device not installed or driver missing." Windows control panel sees it
>> just
>> fine as does Winamp, VLZ media player, and Real Player. Only Windows
>> Media
>> Player (and the Internet Explorer player component) fail to see it's
>> there.
>> The only thing that has changed in the system is the installation last
>> night
>> of the Nov 13th update patch package. Have removed and resinstalled the
>> Audiofire drivers to no avail. Win XP, SP2 with all updates applied is
>> the
>> OS. Anyone experienced a similar problem?

> No, since I don't have an external audio device here
>
>> Any ideas?

> In case you want to make sure that KB943460 (MS07-061) is causing the
> quirks on your machine, have a look into the "More Information" section
> in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943460/en-us and use the registry
> hack to *temporarily* disable the "advanced" URI checking coming with
> KB943460. In case you've installed IE7 on your system, it's IMHO more
> than *essential* to apply KB943460 and to *not* use the registry hacks.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
"Steve House [MVP]" <sjhouse at hotmail dot com> schrieb:

[KB943460]
> Is this update known to affect I/O with firewire 1394 port devices??

Not yet, not to my knowledge. It "may" be the URI issue fixed with the
update.

> Since I'm,playing local mp3 and avi files, I'm trying to understand how a bad
> url vulnerability should influence it.

Have you tried the registry "hack" mentioned in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943460/en-us already?

Bye,
Freudi
Steve House

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
Nope, but this evening I discovered that somehow the updates m ust have
affected the directsound drivers. Switching the "speakers" selection in the
MediaPlayer options to "default direct sound" rather than a specific I/O
channel restored normal function. It's as if the settings in Media Player
and the settings in the windows control panel were being interpretted as
being two separate programs competing for the same device! Very weird.

"Steve House" <sjhouse at hotmail dot com> schrieb:

> this evening I discovered that somehow the updates m ust have
> affected the directsound drivers. Switching the "speakers" selection in the
> MediaPlayer options to "default direct sound" rather than a specific I/O
> channel restored normal function.

Hm, strange. Which version of WMP are you using? I'm not seeing a change here.

Bye,
Freudi
PA Bear

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
What update?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Steve House [MVP] wrote:
> I use an Echo AudioFire8 external audio interface that communicates with
> the
> computer via a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. All worked fine until this
> morning
> when Windows Media Player suddenly ceased to see the device, saying "sound
> device not installed or driver missing." Windows control panel sees it
> just
> fine as does Winamp, VLZ media player, and Real Player. Only Windows
> Media
> Player (and the Internet Explorer player component) fail to see it's
> there.
> The only thing that has changed in the system is the installation last
> night
> of the Nov 13th update patch package. Have removed and resinstalled the
> Audiofire drivers to no avail. Win XP, SP2 with all updates applied is
> the
> OS. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Any ideas?
>
> Steve H

Steve House [MVP]

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
I don't have the id info on the exact updates at hand right at the moment.
There was a package of three updates downloaded through the Windows
autoupdate facility when I started the computer the evening of the 13th and
it was after that download installed that the problem surfaced. This
"soundcard" is a 10 channel (8 analog, 2 digital) professional audio
workstation interface, an external box communicating through firewire. The
WDM drivers are set to use analog channels 7/8 for normal stereo playback
under the audio device settings for both sound and voice in the control
panel. I don't know the settings in WMP itself before the update, but after
it installed the WMP hardware options settings for the speakers showed set
to "DirectSound:AudioFire 7/8." When attemping to play anything - mp3, wav,
avi, mpg, wmv, wma - it reported "device not installed or in use by anthoer
program". I finally tried changing the WMP speaker setting to
"DirectSoundefault" and that fixed it.

Steve House
MS MVP - MSProject

> What update?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> Steve House [MVP] wrote:
>> I use an Echo AudioFire8 external audio interface that communicates with
>> the
>> computer via a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. All worked fine until this
>> morning
>> when Windows Media Player suddenly ceased to see the device, saying
>> "sound
>> device not installed or driver missing." Windows control panel sees it
>> just
>> fine as does Winamp, VLZ media player, and Real Player. Only Windows
>> Media
>> Player (and the Internet Explorer player component) fail to see it's
>> there.
>> The only thing that has changed in the system is the installation last
>> night
>> of the Nov 13th update patch package. Have removed and resinstalled the
>> Audiofire drivers to no avail. Win XP, SP2 with all updates applied is
>> the
>> OS. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Any ideas?
>>
>> Steve H

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
"Steve House [MVP]" <sjhouse at hotmail dot com> schrieb:

>I don't have the id info on the exact updates at hand right at the moment.
> There was a package of three updates downloaded through the Windows
> autoupdate facility when I started the computer the evening of the 13th and
> it was after that download installed that the problem surfaced.

Have a look into the "History" link on the Windows Update site or
a look into "windowsupdate.log" or a look into the Event Viewer.

Bye,
Freu"Whichever WMP version you're using"di
Steve House

Re: Nov 13 update breaks Media Player's ability to recognize Firewire audio device
Got home and can check now...

WMP version 11.0.5721.5230
Updates installed 11/13 are ...
XP Security update KB943460,