Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update

Jack

Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update
My computer downloaded the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
November 2007 (KB890830)" and the "Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)"

Immediatly after restarting, Google.com will not open in IE anymore. It
opens fine on my other computer & I did not download any updates on that PC.
They are both Windows PCs with XP and IE 6.0.29...

A few other websites are either running very slow or not opening at all. I
uninstalled the security update and that had no effect. I can't seem to
uninstall the malicious software removal tool because there is nothing in my
programs list named that. Based on the description, I think that is just a
program that runs once and goes away. It must have run, screwed up my IE,
and then gone away... I'm guessing. I tried to reinstall IE 6.0 but it says
i have a newer version of IE on my PC and it will not let me. I do not want
to install 7.0 if possible (and I'm not sure that will solve the problem if
not create more) I deleted all of my offline files, cookies, etc...but still
cant see google or a few other websites.

There are some articles on the page "http://ezinearticles.com/" that now
take about 3 minutes to load on this computer. Yesterday, they loaded in
seconds. On my other computer, they also loaded in seconds.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update
"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> My computer downloaded the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
> November 2007 (KB890830)" and the "Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)"
>
> Immediatly after restarting, Google.com will not open in IE anymore.

LOL, that's definitly not an issue related to KB890830 anyhow.
You may wanna talk back with your ISP ("provider") after having a look
into the "security" applications running in the background and the DNS
settings of your connection.

Bye,
Freudi
PA Bear

Re: Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update
If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Jack wrote:
> My computer downloaded the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
> November 2007 (KB890830)" and the "Security Update for Windows XP
> (KB943460)"
>
> Immediatly after restarting, Google.com will not open in IE anymore. It
> opens fine on my other computer & I did not download any updates on that
> PC.
> They are both Windows PCs with XP and IE 6.0.29...
>
> A few other websites are either running very slow or not opening at all.
> uninstalled the security update and that had no effect. I can't seem to
> uninstall the malicious software removal tool because there is nothing in
> my
> programs list named that. Based on the description, I think that is just
> program that runs once and goes away. It must have run, screwed up my IE,
> and then gone away... I'm guessing. I tried to reinstall IE 6.0 but it
> says i have a newer version of IE on my PC and it will not let me. I do
> not want to install 7.0 if possible (and I'm not sure that will solve the
> problem if not create more) I deleted all of my offline files, cookies,
> etc...but still cant see google or a few other websites.
>
> There are some articles on the page "http://ezinearticles.com/" that now
> take about 3 minutes to load on this computer. Yesterday, they loaded in
> seconds. On my other computer, they also loaded in seconds.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

PracticeWise

Re: Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update

Hey Jack,

I can't speak to the issues that you're having with pages not coming
up; however, I can say that you're not crazy regarding troubles since
last night's update(s). I'm running XP x64 and IE 7 - (both fully
patched) and am having an insane amount of latency when opening IE
pages AND closing them. No, my machine isn't owned - I'm most confident
of that... I've bounced my machine, turned it off completely - no
difference. I've also bounced my router and firewall - no difference.
Even cleared the local resolver cache on my machine as well, just in
case. Also, this issue isn't present on other machines within my
environment so I know that it's not an ISP deal. I checked for physical
connectivity issues too - solid. Updated the NIC on my machine - still
seeing a large amout of latency. Neat, eh? This only started occurring
post updates. I did install the updates on a couple of Server2k3 std
machines and an SBS2k3 machine with no troubles. I'm not necessarily
saying that it was directly from the update(s), but that is the only
thing to change since last night...I wish I had a direct answer for you
but I don't. Sorry for the run on/choppy reply but I don't have a ton of
time to make it look pretty and read well. If I figure out what I'm
missin' I'll let you know. At this point I'm a bit miffed. Peace out
Napoleon...

--
PracticeWise
PracticeWise's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35041

http://forums.techarena.in

antioch

> If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
> one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.
>
> Multiposting vs Crossposting:
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

PA Bear
It is not like you to make such an unfair comment to this poster.

Rgds
Antioch

ender

Ottmar Freudenberger;3309529 Wrote:

> LOL, that's definitly not an issue related to KB890830 anyhow.
> You may wanna talk back with your ISP ("provider") after having a look
> into the "security" applications running in the background and the DNS
> settings of your connection.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar, if you're working in networking, you're lost...
I just installed the update, IE7 stopped working. Firefox still
working.
Started a sniffer, tried to open a site, not even a DNS request with
IE7.
Micro[****]soft did it again.
If it weren't for my wife, I'd be happy to keep just Linux on my
computer, but she uses it too and I don't have the time to train her.

In my case, uninstalling the security update from
[drive]:\Windows\[$NtUninstallKB943460$] worked and IE7 is back on
track now.
I would really really blow Microsoft offices for this one...

--
ender
ender's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35066

"ender" <ender.302i7g@DoNotSpam.com> schrieb:
> Ottmar Freudenberger;3309529 Wrote:
>>
>> LOL, that's definitly not an issue related to KB890830 anyhow.
>> You may wanna talk back with your ISP ("provider") after having a look
>> into the "security" applications running in the background and the DNS
>> settings of your connection.

> Ottmar, if you're working in networking, you're lost...

I do and I'm not.

> I just installed the update,

*Which* one? Ah, I see, you're talking about KB943460 while the thread
starter "Jack" stated he has installed the MSRT update only.

> IE7 stopped working.

Error message? Tried the very same starting IE7 without extensions -ehm-
AddOns (iexplore.exe -extoff)?

> In my case, uninstalling the security update from
> [drive]:\Windows\[$NtUninstallKB943460$] worked and IE7 is back on
> track now.

No repro here whatsoever. KB943460 contains a new shell32.dll *only*
and *nothing* correcting/influencing IE7 *directly* and nothing which
should/could prevent IE7 from connecting anyway. Once again: check your
IE AddOns.

> I would really really blow Microsoft offices for this one...

Well, do the same measures apply the other way around in case you are
on error? <eg>

Bye,
Freudi
PA Bear

Re: Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update
In his identical thread in IE6 Browser newsgroup, Jack reports the issue was
resolved by rebooting his router.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear wrote:
> If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
> one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.
>
> Multiposting vs Crossposting:
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> Jack wrote:
>> My computer downloaded the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
>> November 2007 (KB890830)" and the "Security Update for Windows XP
>> (KB943460)"
>>
>> Immediatly after restarting, Google.com will not open in IE anymore. It
>> opens fine on my other computer & I did not download any updates on that
>> PC.
>> They are both Windows PCs with XP and IE 6.0.29...
>>
>> A few other websites are either running very slow or not opening at all.
>> uninstalled the security update and that had no effect. I can't seem to
>> uninstall the malicious software removal tool because there is nothing in
>> my
>> programs list named that. Based on the description, I think that is
>> just
>> program that runs once and goes away. It must have run, screwed up my
>> IE,
>> and then gone away... I'm guessing. I tried to reinstall IE 6.0 but it
>> says i have a newer version of IE on my PC and it will not let me. I do
>> not want to install 7.0 if possible (and I'm not sure that will solve the
>> problem if not create more) I deleted all of my offline files, cookies,
>> etc...but still cant see google or a few other websites.
>>
>> There are some articles on the page "http://ezinearticles.com/" that now
>> take about 3 minutes to load on this computer. Yesterday, they loaded in
>> seconds. On my other computer, they also loaded in seconds.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

ender

Re: Can't get on google (and other sites) since last night's update

Freudi,
The following excerpt is from 'Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-061'
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-061.mspx),
which is for _KB943460_: *Microsoft has only identified ways to exploit
this vulnerability on systems using Internet Explorer 7. However, the
vulnerability exists in a Windows file, Shell32.dll, which is included
in all supported editions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.
*

Also please note the start of this topic: My computer downloaded the
"Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
November 2007 (KB890830)" *and the "Security Update for Windows XP
(KB943460)"*

Bye,
Ender

"ender" <ender.30qt7i@DoNotSpam.com> schrieb:

> The following excerpt is from 'Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-061'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-061.mspx),
> which is for _KB943460_: *Microsoft has only identified ways to exploit
> this vulnerability on systems using Internet Explorer 7. However, the
> vulnerability exists in a Windows file, Shell32.dll, which is included
> in all supported editions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

And now? Yes, I know the Bulletin text. What are you trying to say?
KB943460 does *not* influence IE7 directly.

> Also please note the start of this topic: My computer downloaded the
> "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
> November 2007 (KB890830)" *and the "Security Update for Windows XP
> (KB943460)"*

And none of these are causing the issues you're reporting.
In case you've "tuned" some TCP/IP settings (MTU and the like) and
are running 3rd party "firewall" software and/or using 3rd party
addons in IE, that's the direction you may want to look for, trust me.

Bye,
Freudi