KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away

denmarfl

KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
My PC to set to automatically Download Windows Updates. I have now gotten
the SAME Update 5 or 6 times (each time I proceed to let the update Install).
The update 1st appeared Yesterday 11/12....... The Update is "Security
Update for Microsoft XLM Core Services 4.0, Service Pack 2 (KB936181)."

Is there a known problem for this Update? How do I stop it from
re-occurring? After I complete an Install the Download Ready Sheild does go
away....but it comes back within 5 to 10 mins (and its showing right now in
my Taskbar).

I have (1) Run Clean Disk; (2) I have gone out to Windows Update.....checked
History. KB936181 shows sucessfully installed 5 times (I am sure I clicked
on the Update Notification at least that many times). I ran CUSTOME....it
came back...showed 3 Updates INCLUDING KB936181 (how can that be....history
Shows it installed 5 times).

Any suggestions how to get this Update properly Installed and the Update
Sheild...GONE?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Any suggestions how to get this Update properly Installed and the Update
> Sheild...GONE?

The quick and not so dirty workaround may be to install KB941833:
And yes, the update does install under Windows XP too.

Bye,
Freudi
denmarfl

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
I am running XP SR2; I downloaded and installed KB941833....re-booted my
PC....it didn't work. The Update Sheild is still displayed.

You would think with all the users that have reported this problem microsoft
would come up with a fix. Is there any Fix?

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Any suggestions how to get this Update properly Installed and the Update
> > Sheild...GONE?

> The quick and not so dirty workaround may be to install KB941833:
> And yes, the update does install under Windows XP too.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>> The quick and not so dirty workaround may be to install KB941833:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>> And yes, the update does install under Windows XP too.

>I am running XP SR2; I downloaded and installed KB941833....re-booted my
> PC....it didn't work. The Update Sheild is still displayed.

Even after waiting for "some" minutes or after re-visiting the Windows
Update site? If true, try the very same in Safe Mode of Windows XP.

Bye,
Freudi
denmarfl

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
Thank You. I have fixed the problem following Instructions provided by
MowGreen MVP.....this person's resolution to this problem, as well as others
in the past....have always been "Right on the Money". His instructions were
to delete from the ADD/REMOVE list....in this exact order, KB963181, KB927978
& KB925672 re-Booting after each delete (which removed all MSXML programs in
my list). Then, manually download and Install KB936181 So Far....and it been
over 45 mns, the Microsoft Update Notification Sheild has not re-appeared. I
checked my ADD/REMOVE List, KB936181 is the only MSXML file that appears. I
did read that KB936181 has all the Updates included in it that were in the
MXSML updates that were deleted.....so the others were not needed.

I wish there were a way to get this out to all encountering the
problem.....because..it worked for me.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> >> The quick and not so dirty workaround may be to install KB941833:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >> And yes, the update does install under Windows XP too.

> >I am running XP SR2; I downloaded and installed KB941833....re-booted my
> > PC....it didn't work. The Update Sheild is still displayed.

> Even after waiting for "some" minutes or after re-visiting the Windows
> Update site? If true, try the very same in Safe Mode of Windows XP.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>>> I am running XP SR2; I downloaded and installed KB941833....re-booted my
>>> PC....it didn't work. The Update Sheild is still displayed.

>> Even after waiting for "some" minutes or after re-visiting the Windows
>> Update site? If true, try the very same in Safe Mode of Windows XP.

> Thank You. I have fixed the problem following Instructions provided by
> MowGreen MVP.....

You've tried what I've written above previously without success?

Bye,
Freudi
denmarfl

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
Yes, I installed the KB941833....BEFORE I followed MowGreen Steps. The
KB941833 install did not fix the problem. So I deleted KB941833....brfore I
started the Steps outlined by MowGreen...whcih did FIX the problem. Its now
been over an Hour, and the Notification sheild....its GONE.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> >> Even after waiting for "some" minutes or after re-visiting the Windows
> >> Update site? If true, try the very same in Safe Mode of Windows XP.

> > Thank You. I have fixed the problem following Instructions provided by
> > MowGreen MVP.....

> You've tried what I've written above previously without success?
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

>>> Thank You. I have fixed the problem following Instructions provided by
>>> MowGreen MVP.....

>> You've tried what I've written above previously without success?

> Yes, I installed the KB941833....BEFORE I followed MowGreen Steps.

And you've visited the Windows Update site *after* the installation of
KB941833?

Bye,
Freudi
denmarfl

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
Yes, and saw KB941833 installed and KB936181 installed (many times). But
after installing KB941833, the sheild did not go away. I think the problem
is the way Microsoft develops the MXSML Updates. Seems to me all these
Problems would NOT happen if the Update (1) was a munual one to 1st delete
all existing MXSML, or (2) the Update deleted the MXSML files.....surely
Microsoft is capable of including with the Download a feature that deletes
previous versions of this File.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> >> You've tried what I've written above previously without success?

> > Yes, I installed the KB941833....BEFORE I followed MowGreen Steps.

> And you've visited the Windows Update site *after* the installation of
> KB941833?
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB936181 Update Sheild won't go away
"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

>>> Yes, I installed the KB941833....BEFORE I followed MowGreen Steps.

>> And you've visited the Windows Update site *after* the installation of
>> KB941833?

> Yes, and saw KB941833 installed and KB936181 installed (many times).

You've seen KB941833 beeing installed? Where on the Windows Update site?
Have you really done a *search* for updates on the Windows Update site
*after* KB941833 has been installed?

Sorry for insisting on the answer since I do have a number of reports
that after the installation of KB941833 the re-offered KB936181 stopped
from beeing re-offered via Windows/Auto Update.

Bye,
Freudi