Re: XP update hanging -- corrupted metadata

PeteM

Re: XP update hanging -- corrupted metadata
Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder also solved my Vista Ultimate
problem where windows Update would hang and svchost.exe would use all
available CPU (IE 50% on a dual core CPU). I had that problem since May 30
this year and finally found this to be a solution when MS knowledgebase
articles only referred to solutions for XP.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
> This still has missing metadata / corrupted data.
> Let's have you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. Follow the steps at this link at MS W U Troubleshooter.
> http://tinyurl.com/5aor7
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----

Tom

Re: XP update hanging -- corrupted metadata
I am trying to update my windows XP to SP2 but have the same problem as
Geoff, when I click on "Express" to install it, IE hangs forever on "checking
your computer for updates".

I've followed all Maurice's steps in this and anothr thread and still have
the same problem. Have removed all spyware I could find with adaware 2007,
spybot search & destroy, ccleaner... can't use windows defender as suggested,
because you need SP2 to download that!

I was just trying to speed up my decelerating computer but now have an even
slower machine...

"PeteM" wrote:

> Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder also solved my Vista Ultimate
> problem where windows Update would hang and svchost.exe would use all
> available CPU (IE 50% on a dual core CPU). I had that problem since May 30
> this year and finally found this to be a solution when MS knowledgebase
> articles only referred to solutions for XP.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi Geoff,
> > This still has missing metadata / corrupted data.
> > Let's have you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. Follow the steps at this link at MS W U Troubleshooter.
> > http://tinyurl.com/5aor7
> >
> > --
> > Maurice N
> > MVP Windows - Shell / User
> > -----

Re: XP update hanging -- corrupted metadata
See the instructions here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f0889f503787af

NB: Upgrading to IE7 is *optional*.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tom wrote:
> I am trying to update my windows XP to SP2 but have the same problem as
> Geoff, when I click on "Express" to install it, IE hangs forever on
> "checking your computer for updates".
>
> I've followed all Maurice's steps in this and anothr thread and still have
> the same problem. Have removed all spyware I could find with adaware 2007,
> spybot search & destroy, ccleaner... can't use windows defender as
> suggested, because you need SP2 to download that!
>
> I was just trying to speed up my decelerating computer but now have an
> even
> slower machine...

<snip>