Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows updates everytime I shut down

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007
Trav
 

Posts: n/a
Windows updates everytime I shut down
Hi
I have Windows XP Pro SP2
The problem is that everytime I shut down I have to go through updating 1 of
1 updates then the machine shuts down. I then boot up and wait a short while
then shut down again and it goes through the same process again, this happens
all the time.
My guess is that the update is not being recorded after the install hence it
tries again next time.
Where do I start correcting this problem because it's not funny anymore?
Thanks for any help offered.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down
And the update is...?

Trav wrote:
> Hi
> I have Windows XP Pro SP2
> The problem is that everytime I shut down I have to go through updating 1
> of
> 1 updates then the machine shuts down. I then boot up and wait a short
> while
> then shut down again and it goes through the same process again, this
> happens all the time.
> My guess is that the update is not being recorded after the install hence
> it
> tries again next time.
> Where do I start correcting this problem because it's not funny anymore?
> Thanks for any help offered.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007
Trav
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down
I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking for help as to where I start to
fix the problem....

"PA Bear" wrote:

> And the update is...?
>
> Trav wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have Windows XP Pro SP2
> > The problem is that everytime I shut down I have to go through updating 1
> > of
> > 1 updates then the machine shuts down. I then boot up and wait a short
> > while
> > then shut down again and it goes through the same process again, this
> > happens all the time.
> > My guess is that the update is not being recorded after the install hence
> > it
> > tries again next time.
> > Where do I start correcting this problem because it's not funny anymore?
> > Thanks for any help offered.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s).

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Trav wrote:
> I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking for help as to where I start to
> fix the problem....
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> And the update is...?
>>
>> Trav wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have Windows XP Pro SP2
>>> The problem is that everytime I shut down I have to go through updating
>>> 1
>>> of
>>> 1 updates then the machine shuts down. I then boot up and wait a short
>>> while
>>> then shut down again and it goes through the same process again, this
>>> happens all the time.
>>> My guess is that the update is not being recorded after the install
>>> hence
>>> it
>>> tries again next time.
>>> Where do I start correcting this problem because it's not funny anymore?
>>> Thanks for any help offered.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2007
Trav
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down
Hi

Thanks for your reply, it gives me something to start with.

Many thanks
Trav

"PA Bear" wrote:

> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602
>
> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
> to install the update(s).
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822798
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> Trav wrote:
> > I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking for help as to where I start to
> > fix the problem....
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> >> And the update is...?
> >>
> >> Trav wrote:
> >>> Hi
> >>> I have Windows XP Pro SP2
> >>> The problem is that everytime I shut down I have to go through updating
> >>> 1
> >>> of
> >>> 1 updates then the machine shuts down. I then boot up and wait a short
> >>> while
> >>> then shut down again and it goes through the same process again, this
> >>> happens all the time.
> >>> My guess is that the update is not being recorded after the install
> >>> hence
> >>> it
> >>> tries again next time.
> >>> Where do I start correcting this problem because it's not funny anymore?
> >>> Thanks for any help offered.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2007
antioch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down

"Trav" <Trav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FB2630E4-55FA-4891-A1D6-F0E71E8C6AFE@microsoft.com...
>I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking for help as to where I start to
> fix the problem....


Have you got updates set to download without you saying yes or no?
Or does the yellow shield appear in the bottom right of the screen?
In any case its not difficult to find what you have been offered. - if you
can be bothered.
Antioch


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2007
Trav
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows updates everytime I shut down
Hi

Thanks, just sorted it, no problem anymore.
Thanks for all the help. I just needed a starting point.

BR
Trav

"antioch" wrote:

>
> "Trav" <Trav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FB2630E4-55FA-4891-A1D6-F0E71E8C6AFE@microsoft.com...
> >I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking for help as to where I start to
> > fix the problem....

>
> Have you got updates set to download without you saying yes or no?
> Or does the yellow shield appear in the bottom right of the screen?
> In any case its not difficult to find what you have been offered. - if you
> can be bothered.
> Antioch
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everytime I start Windows Mail, I am prompted for my username and Reed microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 03-09-2008 13:53
windows mail crashes everytime I want to open an attachment dids microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 01-15-2008 21:01
How DARE MS shut down my PC automatically to install updates!! David microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 53 10-13-2007 05:17
WLAN in Vista Basic LOSE configuration everytime I shut down laptop lorexx70@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 09-15-2007 22:12
Everytime I click on my mapped drive the Windows Easy Transfer sta jmccann microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 05-03-2007 05:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:40.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120