Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB9361

Stig H.

Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB9361
Hi.

Today (13.11.2007) there was a new item ready for update. It was downloaded
and installed, but after installation the "yellow shield" still comes back
telling me that I have an update ready for installation. The very same I
already have installed, and the message was that it was sucsessfully
installed.

I have tried to reboot my computer. I have entered the MS Update site and
downloaded the same update from there, and again installed it "sucessfully"
according to the message, but the "yellow shield" is coming back all the time.

What could be my problem?? I'm running Win XP Pro with all updates installed.

Brgds
Stig
antioch

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB9361

"Stig H." <Stig H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Today (13.11.2007) there was a new item ready for update. It was
> downloaded
> and installed, but after installation the "yellow shield" still comes back
> telling me that I have an update ready for installation. The very same I
> already have installed, and the message was that it was sucsessfully
> installed.
>
> I have tried to reboot my computer. I have entered the MS Update site and
> downloaded the same update from there, and again installed it
> "sucessfully"
> according to the message, but the "yellow shield" is coming back all the
> time.
>
> What could be my problem?? I'm running Win XP Pro with all updates
> installed.
>
> Brgds
> Stig

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339

Windows Update already installed
http://www.updatexp.com/windows-upda...installed.html

Windows Update says the update is still needed
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm

Antioch

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB9361
Please read this:
http://mowgreen.castlecops.com/archi...#comment-51273

IF KB925672 and KB927978 are listed in addition to KB936181, then
uninstall them starting with KB936181, then KB927978, and finally KB925672.
They will show in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel as
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB9xxxxxx)
Uninstall the most recent MSXML package and work your way back to the
older one.
REBOOT after each uninstall
Then download and save KB936181 and install it according to the steps
laid out.

See Thane's post about HP Printer software and bear in mind that said
software *may* change the security settings in the registry.
If this is the case in your situation, then follow the steps Thane laid
out to revert the security settings.

ALSO, antivirus software *can* cause an issue when installing MSXML
packages or subsequent security updates for them.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Stig H. wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Today (13.11.2007) there was a new item ready for update. It was downloaded
> and installed, but after installation the "yellow shield" still comes back
> telling me that I have an update ready for installation. The very same I
> already have installed, and the message was that it was sucsessfully
> installed.
>
> I have tried to reboot my computer. I have entered the MS Update site and
> downloaded the same update from there, and again installed it "sucessfully"
> according to the message, but the "yellow shield" is coming back all the time.
>
> What could be my problem?? I'm running Win XP Pro with all updates installed.
>
> Brgds
> Stig

denmarfl

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
So far, following your suggested steps, deleting the 3 MSXML
downloads...backwards (which removed ALL MSXML that where in my ADD/REMOVE
Lists).....then I downloaded and installed the KB936181....the Update
Notification is gone. My concern, when I go to Microsofts Windows Update
Site and click on HISTORY....it shows KB936191 Sucessfully Installed 7
times......with the most recent sucessful install dated with the one I
manually Installed today. When I check my ADD/REMOVE List, KB936181 is the
only MSXML program shown, and its shown...once once.

Why? Is this a concern?

Is this a process I will need to follow when the next MXSML update is
released?

One last comment, I want to thank you for your assitance. This resolution
among others you have sucessfully assisted me on....I now Search for your
postings....I cannot express how pleased I am that the response is from you.
Thank You

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Please read this:
> http://mowgreen.castlecops.com/archi...#comment-51273
>
> IF KB925672 and KB927978 are listed in addition to KB936181, then
> uninstall them starting with KB936181, then KB927978, and finally KB925672.
> They will show in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel as
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB9xxxxxx)
> Uninstall the most recent MSXML package and work your way back to the
> older one.
> REBOOT after each uninstall
> Then download and save KB936181 and install it according to the steps
> laid out.
>
> See Thane's post about HP Printer software and bear in mind that said
> software *may* change the security settings in the registry.
> If this is the case in your situation, then follow the steps Thane laid
> out to revert the security settings.
>
> ALSO, antivirus software *can* cause an issue when installing MSXML
> packages or subsequent security updates for them.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Stig H. wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Today (13.11.2007) there was a new item ready for update. It was downloaded
> > and installed, but after installation the "yellow shield" still comes back
> > telling me that I have an update ready for installation. The very same I
> > already have installed, and the message was that it was sucsessfully
> > installed.
> >
> > I have tried to reboot my computer. I have entered the MS Update site and
> > downloaded the same update from there, and again installed it "sucessfully"
> > according to the message, but the "yellow shield" is coming back all the time.
> >
> > What could be my problem?? I'm running Win XP Pro with all updates installed.
> >
> > Brgds
> > Stig

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
Answers inline:

denmarfl wrote:

> So far, following your suggested steps, deleting the 3 MSXML
> downloads...backwards (which removed ALL MSXML that where in my ADD/REMOVE
> Lists).....then I downloaded and installed the KB936181....the Update
> Notification is gone. My concern, when I go to Microsofts Windows Update
> Site and click on HISTORY....it shows KB936191 Sucessfully Installed 7
> times......with the most recent sucessful install dated with the one I
> manually Installed today. When I check my ADD/REMOVE List, KB936181 is the
> only MSXML program shown, and its shown...once once.
>
> Why? Is this a concern?

As to only one MSXML package showing in Add/Remove Programs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB936181

> Security update package 936181 is a complete installation package. You can use this
> package to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 on a computer that has no earlier versions of MSXML 4.0
> installed.

Don't worry about the History shown on the update site. The information
shown there is read from a file in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

If it bothers you, then stop the Automatic Updates Service and delete
the DataStore.edb file in the above location.
[Start > Run > type in net stop wuauserv
Click OK
To restart the service type in
net start wuauserv
Click OK]
Doing so will delete ALL of the History shown on either update site.

> Is this a process I will need to follow when the next MXSML update is
> released?

You should not have to IF you completely and totally disable the
installed antivirus including whatever services it runs when installing
any subsequent Security update for MSXML.
That *may* have caused this mess in the first place.
Did you read Thane's post about HP software ? That's another cause of
MSXML package and Security update installation issues.

> One last comment, I want to thank you for your assitance. This resolution
> among others you have sucessfully assisted me on....I now Search for your
> postings....I cannot express how pleased I am that the response is from you.
> Thank You

You are mowst welcome and I'm glad to hear that everything is copacetic
now. <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
denmarfl

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
I hear you on Disabling the Virus Software.... Since you never know what
updates are ready to install when you click on the Sheild you have no way to
know if its a MSXML download.... So to be safe, I will disable the Virus
Software (Norton) before I click on the Notification sheild....so no matter
what the update....the Virus Software will be...always...disabled.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Answers inline:
>
> denmarfl wrote:
>
> > So far, following your suggested steps, deleting the 3 MSXML
> > downloads...backwards (which removed ALL MSXML that where in my ADD/REMOVE
> > Lists).....then I downloaded and installed the KB936181....the Update
> > Notification is gone. My concern, when I go to Microsofts Windows Update
> > Site and click on HISTORY....it shows KB936191 Sucessfully Installed 7
> > times......with the most recent sucessful install dated with the one I
> > manually Installed today. When I check my ADD/REMOVE List, KB936181 is the
> > only MSXML program shown, and its shown...once once.
> >
> > Why? Is this a concern?

> As to only one MSXML package showing in Add/Remove Programs:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB936181
>
> > Security update package 936181 is a complete installation package. You can use this
> > package to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 on a computer that has no earlier versions of MSXML 4.0
> > installed.

> Don't worry about the History shown on the update site. The information
> shown there is read from a file in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
>
> If it bothers you, then stop the Automatic Updates Service and delete
> the DataStore.edb file in the above location.
> [Start > Run > type in net stop wuauserv
> Click OK
> To restart the service type in
> net start wuauserv
> Click OK]
> Doing so will delete ALL of the History shown on either update site.
>

> > Is this a process I will need to follow when the next MXSML update is
> > released?

> You should not have to IF you completely and totally disable the
> installed antivirus including whatever services it runs when installing
> any subsequent Security update for MSXML.
> That *may* have caused this mess in the first place.
> Did you read Thane's post about HP software ? That's another cause of
> MSXML package and Security update installation issues.
>

> > One last comment, I want to thank you for your assitance. This resolution
> > among others you have sucessfully assisted me on....I now Search for your
> > postings....I cannot express how pleased I am that the response is from you.
> > Thank You
> >

> You are mowst welcome and I'm glad to hear that everything is copacetic
> now. <w>
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
If you have Automatic Updates set to Notify then when you click the
yellow shield in the system tray a window will pop up with the updates
listed.
Click on each individual update and then use the More Information link
in the lower pane to see what the update is about. The link will take
you to the MSKB article. Then use the IT Professional link to view the
Security Bulletin information IF the update was Security related.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

denmarfl wrote:

> I hear you on Disabling the Virus Software.... Since you never know what
> updates are ready to install when you click on the Sheild you have no way to
> know if its a MSXML download.... So to be safe, I will disable the Virus
> Software (Norton) before I click on the Notification sheild....so no matter
> what the update....the Virus Software will be...always...disabled.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Answers inline:
>>
>>denmarfl wrote:
>>

>>>So far, following your suggested steps, deleting the 3 MSXML
>>>downloads...backwards (which removed ALL MSXML that where in my ADD/REMOVE
>>>Lists).....then I downloaded and installed the KB936181....the Update
>>>Notification is gone. My concern, when I go to Microsofts Windows Update
>>>Site and click on HISTORY....it shows KB936191 Sucessfully Installed 7
>>>times......with the most recent sucessful install dated with the one I
>>>manually Installed today. When I check my ADD/REMOVE List, KB936181 is the
>>>only MSXML program shown, and its shown...once once.
>>>
>>>Why? Is this a concern?

>>As to only one MSXML package showing in Add/Remove Programs:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB936181
>>

>>>Security update package 936181 is a complete installation package. You can use this
>>>package to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 on a computer that has no earlier versions of MSXML 4.0
>>>installed.

>>Don't worry about the History shown on the update site. The information
>>shown there is read from a file in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
>>
>>If it bothers you, then stop the Automatic Updates Service and delete
>>the DataStore.edb file in the above location.
>>[Start > Run > type in net stop wuauserv
>>Click OK
>>To restart the service type in
>>net start wuauserv
>>Click OK]
>>Doing so will delete ALL of the History shown on either update site.
>>

>>>Is this a process I will need to follow when the next MXSML update is
>>>released?

>>You should not have to IF you completely and totally disable the
>>installed antivirus including whatever services it runs when installing
>>any subsequent Security update for MSXML.
>>That *may* have caused this mess in the first place.
>>Did you read Thane's post about HP software ? That's another cause of
>>MSXML package and Security update installation issues.
>>

>>>One last comment, I want to thank you for your assitance. This resolution
>>>among others you have sucessfully assisted me on....I now Search for your
>>>postings....I cannot express how pleased I am that the response is from you.
>>>Thank You
>>>

>>You are mowst welcome and I'm glad to hear that everything is copacetic
>>now. <w>
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============

denmarfl

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
You assisted me with a problem with the Security Update KB936181. Back in
November I was having a problem getting the Update Installed....and after
your assistance, it installed.

But this same Update is Haunting me...again. My Security Software
identified a High Alert Security problem....it referred to it as MS07-042.
Reading this Microsoft article it mentions the KB936181 Update. Looking at
my Windows Update History I see KB936181 installed on my Vista Home prem
PC...11 times. Once in Nov '07...and 10 times this Month (April). Each
entry shows Status as Sucessful. In fact this Update was continuing to show
in the Available Updates...and a Microsoft Tech Agent directed me to Uncheck
it, right click on it and click Hide.

I do believe this Update, KB936181....is somehow connected to...or causing
the High Alert my Security Software is alerting me to (MS07-042)

Any suggestions?

Looking at Program and features, I see 3 MSXML 4.0 SP2 Installed (KB927978
installed 4/17/08, KB936181 installed 11/26/07, KB941833 installed 11/28/07
In this exact order.....

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> If you have Automatic Updates set to Notify then when you click the
> yellow shield in the system tray a window will pop up with the updates
> listed.
> Click on each individual update and then use the More Information link
> in the lower pane to see what the update is about. The link will take
> you to the MSKB article. Then use the IT Professional link to view the
> Security Bulletin information IF the update was Security related.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> denmarfl wrote:
>
> > I hear you on Disabling the Virus Software.... Since you never know what
> > updates are ready to install when you click on the Sheild you have no way to
> > know if its a MSXML download.... So to be safe, I will disable the Virus
> > Software (Norton) before I click on the Notification sheild....so no matter
> > what the update....the Virus Software will be...always...disabled.
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Answers inline:

> >>As to only one MSXML package showing in Add/Remove Programs:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB936181

> >>Don't worry about the History shown on the update site. The information
> >>shown there is read from a file in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
> >>
> >>If it bothers you, then stop the Automatic Updates Service and delete
> >>the DataStore.edb file in the above location.
> >>[Start > Run > type in net stop wuauserv
> >>Click OK
> >>To restart the service type in
> >>net start wuauserv
> >>Click OK]
> >>Doing so will delete ALL of the History shown on either update site.

> >>You should not have to IF you completely and totally disable the
> >>installed antivirus including whatever services it runs when installing
> >>any subsequent Security update for MSXML.
> >>That *may* have caused this mess in the first place.
> >>Did you read Thane's post about HP software ? That's another cause of
> >>MSXML package and Security update installation issues.

> >>You are mowst welcome and I'm glad to hear that everything is copacetic
> >>now. <w>
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
> Security Software identified a High Alert Security

Specifically, what is the installed security software ?
What is the printer software that is installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

denmarfl wrote:

> You assisted me with a problem with the Security Update KB936181. Back in
> November I was having a problem getting the Update Installed....and after
> your assistance, it installed.
>
> But this same Update is Haunting me...again. My Security Software
> identified a High Alert Security problem....it referred to it as MS07-042.
> Reading this Microsoft article it mentions the KB936181 Update. Looking at
> my Windows Update History I see KB936181 installed on my Vista Home prem
> PC...11 times. Once in Nov '07...and 10 times this Month (April). Each
> entry shows Status as Sucessful. In fact this Update was continuing to show
> in the Available Updates...and a Microsoft Tech Agent directed me to Uncheck
> it, right click on it and click Hide.
>
> I do believe this Update, KB936181....is somehow connected to...or causing
> the High Alert my Security Software is alerting me to (MS07-042)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Looking at Program and features, I see 3 MSXML 4.0 SP2 Installed (KB927978
> installed 4/17/08, KB936181 installed 11/26/07, KB941833 installed 11/28/07
> In this exact order.....
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>If you have Automatic Updates set to Notify then when you click the
>>yellow shield in the system tray a window will pop up with the updates
>>listed.
>>Click on each individual update and then use the More Information link
>>in the lower pane to see what the update is about. The link will take
>>you to the MSKB article. Then use the IT Professional link to view the
>>Security Bulletin information IF the update was Security related.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>denmarfl wrote:
>>

>>>I hear you on Disabling the Virus Software.... Since you never know what
>>>updates are ready to install when you click on the Sheild you have no way to
>>>know if its a MSXML download.... So to be safe, I will disable the Virus
>>>Software (Norton) before I click on the Notification sheild....so no matter
>>>what the update....the Virus Software will be...always...disabled.

denmarfl

Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
Internet Security PcCillin.....PcCllin runs a Security check once a week.
The MS07-042 follows the day when I took the following 2 actions;
1) Unchecked the KB936181 and Clicked Hide to keep it from appearing in
Windows Automatic Updates and installing) This Updates shows as Sucessfully
installed 11 times in my Windows History.
2) Updating Vista Home prem to SP1 (and that update went without any
problems and shows sucessfully Installed in History)

Canon Printer (not sure what further detail you might need)