Re: Error code C80003F9

Wayne

Re: Error code C80003F9
I am getting this error as well and just cannot find out why - and since
there is no other avenue to update - I am stuck.

In the past several montsh I have had more major problems with Vista than
any other operating system I ever worked with, include early DOS.
Unbeleivably most of these are problems with Vista and other Microsoft
software (Windows Mobile / Office etc.)

My next PC will be a Mac.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista General)
> "Lubo" <Lubo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA3F5FD9-4A1D-47C9-96B1-25054080EE9B@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sudenly stopped getting new windows updates in vista Ultimate. I am
> > getting error code C8003F9.
> > I cannot find any more details about the error on the internet.

> So which one did you search for? The one in the Subject or the above typo
> of it? Also, be aware that usually you will find more hits by adding a 0x prefix
> to such hex codes; so search for 0xC80003F9 too.
>
> It also often helps to search for the decimal equivalent of either the signed
> 32-bit value or the unsigned last half of the code. So FWIW:
>
> <cmd_output>
> F:\>set /a c = 0x3f9
> 1017
> F:\>net helpmsg 1017
>
> The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry,
> but the specified file is not in a registry file format.
> </cmd_output>
>

> And don't just search on the web or in the MSKB, search as well using
> the web interface to newsgroups that you are using (e.g. press Alt-7 and
> enter your code there) AND especially search the log files that updating creates
> to give your code some CONTEXT.
>
> Finally, I think that the extra high-order bits are often just dump and recovery
> options so it may also help to search for 0x800003F9 etc.
>

> > I deleted
> > also the temporary updat files. It didn't help. Can anybody help ?

> Look in the logs for some context for the code, whatever it is.
>

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Lubo
> >

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Andrew McLaren

Re: Error code C80003F9
"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I am getting this error as well and just cannot find out why - and since
> there is no other avenue to update - I am stuck.

Hi Wayne,

Short answer is: I dunno. But, let me amplify, on that ....

According to Visual Studio, 0xC80003F9 is an error message "The record has
been deleted" from ntdsbmsg.dll, a Directory Services support file. I don't
know why this would be appearing in Windows Update, but the first question
would be: is your PC a member of an Active Directory domain? Or is it a
workgroup and/or standalone machine?

Secondly, Windows Update writes diagnostic information to a log file,
C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log. This is a plain text file which you can open
in Notepad or other text editor. windowsupdate.log might give you some extra
clues as to why Update is failing (or at least, you can post what you find
there to the newsgroup).

> My next PC will be a Mac.

I own a Mac, and I really like it. I'd encourage anyone who enjoys computing
to buy a Mac. However, I've had about as many errors, crashes, strange
behaviours and general weird stuff on my Mac as I've had on any of my other
machines (Windows, Solaris, Linux). And I haven't even upgraded to Leopard
yet. There are many good things about a Mac but, uh, don't expect it to be
dramatically more stable or easier to use than Windows.

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au