Still can't update Windows XP

Tara

Still can't update Windows XP
Here is the link to my original post:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...2a2&sloc=en-us

I have tried all the suggestions and my Windows Updates are still not
working. I have once again had to do a system restore. I’m not sure what else
to do :-(

TaurArian

RE: Still can't update Windows XP
Try reinstalling the WU client - follow this article -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916259

"Tara" wrote:

> Here is the link to my original post:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...2a2&sloc=en-us
>
> I have tried all the suggestions and my Windows Updates are still not
> working. I have once again had to do a system restore. I’m not sure what else
> to do :-(

Bill Halvorsen

"Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the link to my original post:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...2a2&sloc=en-us
>
> I have tried all the suggestions and my Windows Updates are still not
> working. I have once again had to do a system restore. I'm not sure what
> else
> to do :-(

I have a probably one-of-a-kind bizzaro happening that clobbered Windows
Update for me; I finally got fed up with Vista and realized drivers for some
of my "stuff" would never be the same in Vista that it was in XP, and
yesterday installation of Roxio's Creator 9.1 scrambled file associations
with Media Player, and it just got worse. So today I nuked Vista
(Ultimate!!!) and reinstalled Windows XP Home (full version backup) from an
Acronis image. Things went well until I decided that in 2-3 weeks of XP
non-use, I better check Update. Got a hex code "this page cannot be
displayed" and suggestions. Followed all of them, nothing made any
difference.

I had noticed that when launching Windows Update the OneCare Live
"permission" window would flash but I could not respond to it - it seemed to
ignore my granting permission for Update to do it's thing. Then I noticed
one of MS's patches wanted to first try WU but this time I caught the
"blocked" message from WLOC and gave it permission. Thought surely Windows
Update would be fine now that it had been accssed by some .exe in the MSKB
(in trying to fix this problem). Nope.

I ripped out Windows Live OneCare. Windows Update WORKED immediately.
Reinstalled and reactivated WLOC, and it continued to work.

I'm sure having XP Home "unused" for 2-3 weeks was all my fault (right,
MVP's?) but then again fault tolerance and testing seem to be things lost on
MS and Vista - well, I spent lots of money on it and even got Ultimate but
don't see the magic when the drivers from programs and hardware STILL aren't
all that well evolved and this is NOVEMBER.

So just in case, 1 in a million, and all that... this is why WU failed for
me.

Bill

"Bill Halvorsen" wrote:

> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here is the link to my original post:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...2a2&sloc=en-us
> >
> > I have tried all the suggestions and my Windows Updates are still not
> > working. I have once again had to do a system restore. I'm not sure what
> > else
> > to do :-(
> >

> I have a probably one-of-a-kind bizzaro happening that clobbered Windows
> Update for me; I finally got fed up with Vista and realized drivers for some
> of my "stuff" would never be the same in Vista that it was in XP, and
> yesterday installation of Roxio's Creator 9.1 scrambled file associations
> with Media Player, and it just got worse. So today I nuked Vista
> (Ultimate!!!) and reinstalled Windows XP Home (full version backup) from an
> Acronis image. Things went well until I decided that in 2-3 weeks of XP
> non-use, I better check Update. Got a hex code "this page cannot be
> displayed" and suggestions. Followed all of them, nothing made any
> difference.
>
> I had noticed that when launching Windows Update the OneCare Live
> "permission" window would flash but I could not respond to it - it seemed to
> ignore my granting permission for Update to do it's thing. Then I noticed
> one of MS's patches wanted to first try WU but this time I caught the
> "blocked" message from WLOC and gave it permission. Thought surely Windows
> Update would be fine now that it had been accssed by some .exe in the MSKB
> (in trying to fix this problem). Nope.
>
> I ripped out Windows Live OneCare. Windows Update WORKED immediately.
> Reinstalled and reactivated WLOC, and it continued to work.
>
> I'm sure having XP Home "unused" for 2-3 weeks was all my fault (right,
> MVP's?) but then again fault tolerance and testing seem to be things lost on
> MS and Vista - well, I spent lots of money on it and even got Ultimate but
> don't see the magic when the drivers from programs and hardware STILL aren't
> all that well evolved and this is NOVEMBER.
>
> So just in case, 1 in a million, and all that... this is why WU failed for
> me.
>
> Bill

Thanks for sharing your story Bill.