Windows Update error 80200053

John Riehl

Windows Update error 80200053
I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
80200053 = validation failure

I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.

Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

> This update also resolves the following issues in Windows Vista:
> • A compatibility issue that affects some third-party antivirus software applications.

Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
nice with Vista <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John Riehl wrote:

> I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
> 80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
> the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
> I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
> the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

John Riehl

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
MowGreen,

This sounds reasonable. I'm trying to download the patch but of course the
download site hasn't been responding for the last two days. Will let you
know when I finally can get the patch downloaded and installed.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 80200053 = validation failure
>
> I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
> Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
> that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.
>
> Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
>
> > This update also resolves the following issues in Windows Vista:
> > • A compatibility issue that affects some third-party antivirus software applications.

> Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
> given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
> nice with Vista <w>
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> John Riehl wrote:
>
> > I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
> > 80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
> > the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
> > I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
> > the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

John Riehl

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
reinstalling? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 80200053 = validation failure
>
> I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
> Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
> that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.
>
> Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
>
> > This update also resolves the following issues in Windows Vista:
> > • A compatibility issue that affects some third-party antivirus software applications.

> Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
> given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
> nice with Vista <w>
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> John Riehl wrote:
>
> > I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
> > 80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
> > the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
> > I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
> > the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

John Riehl

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out. So, a few more facts:

McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
80070570)
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
80200053)

Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.

John

"John Riehl" wrote:

> I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
> I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
> insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
> reinstalling? Thanks.
>
> John
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 80200053 = validation failure
> >
> > I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
> > Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
> > that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.
> >
> > Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
> >
> > > This update also resolves the following issues in Windows Vista:
> > > • A compatibility issue that affects some third-party antivirus software applications.

> > Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
> > given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
> > nice with Vista <w>
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > John Riehl wrote:
> >
> > > I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
> > > 80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
> > > the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
> > > I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
> > > the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
80200053 = BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED
80070570 = ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

If you're uncomfortable disabling McAfee while connected to the
net/network, then download the updates manually, save them, close all
open browsers and programs, then disconnect the system, disable, McAfee,
and then install the updates.

Defender updates are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

Installation instructions for the Definitions here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx#top

Then visit the MS Download Center for KB941229:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
and KB941833:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den

The above are for the 32 bit [x86] versions of Vista.
If you need 64 bit versions, visit here and enter the KB #s in the
Search window:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...displaylang=en

You should read this, John:

You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update,
install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John Riehl wrote:

> Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out. So, a few more facts:
>
> McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
> from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
> Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
> 80070570)
> Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
> 80200053)
>
> Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
> could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
> solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
> me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
> give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.
>
> John
>
> "John Riehl" wrote:
>

>>I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
>>I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
>>insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
>>reinstalling? Thanks.
>>
>>John
>>
>>"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>

>>>80200053 = validation failure
>>>
>>>I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
>>>Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
>>>that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.
>>>
>>>Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

>>>Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
>>>given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
>>>nice with Vista <w>
>>>

>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten
>>>===============

John Riehl

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
MowGreen,

Thanks for your continued patience. I guess I'm surprised that a mainstream
anti-virus product like McAfee would intefere with Vista. However, I did
turn it all off and tried to install the updates...and they were
unsuccessful, returning the same errors as before. Is there some sort of a
log file or something that I can include that would help you and/or the
Microsoft engineers diagnose this problem? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 80200053 = BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED
> 80070570 = ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT
>
> If you're uncomfortable disabling McAfee while connected to the
> net/network, then download the updates manually, save them, close all
> open browsers and programs, then disconnect the system, disable, McAfee,
> and then install the updates.
>
> Defender updates are here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx
>
> Installation instructions for the Definitions here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx#top
>
> Then visit the MS Download Center for KB941229:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
> and KB941833:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>
> The above are for the 32 bit [x86] versions of Vista.
> If you need 64 bit versions, visit here and enter the KB #s in the
> Search window:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...displaylang=en
>
> You should read this, John:
>
> You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update,
> install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based
> computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> John Riehl wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out. So, a few more facts:
> >
> > McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
> > from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:
> >
> > Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
> > Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
> > 80070570)
> > Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
> > 80200053)
> >
> > Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
> > could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
> > solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
> > me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
> > give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > John
> >
> > "John Riehl" wrote:
> >

> >>I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
> >>I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
> >>insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
> >>reinstalling? Thanks.
> >>
> >>John

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error 80200053
John,

Suggest you call in for no charge support. Since the error code for
Defender is the same as the one for the MSXML update, use one of the 2
Free Support requests:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...px?Gprid=11952

In the US the phone number is 866-PCSAFETY

> Hours for Phone (Pacific Time)
> Monday - Friday
> Saturday - Sunday
>
> 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M.
> 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.

I'm really not clear if the free support is limited to WD on XP or if it
includes Vista.

If you can not install Security updates, then MS offers no charge support.
Reliability/compatibility/stability updates are only supported by MS if
this is a Retail copy of Vista.
Otherwise it's up to the OEM to support the OS during the Warranty period.

You didn't mention whether you attempted to install this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538
If not, then at least give it a shot prior to calling in.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

> MowGreen,
>
> Thanks for your continued patience. I guess I'm surprised that a mainstream
> anti-virus product like McAfee would intefere with Vista. However, I did
> turn it all off and tried to install the updates...and they were
> unsuccessful, returning the same errors as before. Is there some sort of a
> log file or something that I can include that would help you and/or the
> Microsoft engineers diagnose this problem? Thanks.
>
> John
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>80200053 = BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED
>>80070570 = ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT
>>
>>If you're uncomfortable disabling McAfee while connected to the
>>net/network, then download the updates manually, save them, close all
>>open browsers and programs, then disconnect the system, disable, McAfee,
>>and then install the updates.
>>
>>Defender updates are here:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx
>>
>>Installation instructions for the Definitions here:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx#top
>>
>>Then visit the MS Download Center for KB941229:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>and KB941833:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>
>>The above are for the 32 bit [x86] versions of Vista.
>>If you need 64 bit versions, visit here and enter the KB #s in the
>>Search window:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...displaylang=en
>>
>>You should read this, John:
>>
>>You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update,
>>install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based
>>computer
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>John Riehl wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out. So, a few more facts:
>>>
>>>McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
>>>from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:
>>>
>>>Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
>>>Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
>>>80070570)
>>>Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
>>>80200053)
>>>
>>>Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
>>>could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
>>>solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
>>>me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
>>>give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>>John

Jealot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update error 80200053
While I hate to resurrect such an old thread as this, I find it necessary because after scouring the internet, all I found were people with this problem, offered solutions that no one reported worked, and no solutions that did work.

That being said: I had this same error 80200053 when trying to update my computer today. I got the code when trying to update my NVIDIA GT120 driver.

My solution was quite simple....

I disabled my ZoneAlarm Firewall (which was quite alright, because my Windows firewall took over the instant ZA went offline, so I was still protected).

After that, the update installed perfectly the very next time. I find this somewhat interesting considering how simple this was, and yet all of the suggested solutions I saw were at least slightly more complicated up to way more complicated, and none of which worked for me or anyone else (at least the ones who kept posting).

I hope this solution works for other people as well!!!

~Jealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowGreen [MVP] View Post
John,

Suggest you call in for no charge support. Since the error code for
Defender is the same as the one for the MSXML update, use one of the 2
Free Support requests:
Help and Support

> [...]

>>>McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
>>>from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:
>>>
>>>Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
>>>Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
>>>80070570)
>>>Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
>>>80200053)
>>>
>>>Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
>>>could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
>>>solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
>>>me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
>>>give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.

Mark Prestwood

Just fixed this error on my Windows 7 PC
I have had this problem since upgrading from XP to Vista and thought that the upgrade to Windows 7 would cure it, but it didn't.

The problem is with the TCP window scaling used by Vista and Windows 7 being incompatible with some routers. There are two fixes:
1) Change the router: I disabled SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection) on my Netgear WGR614 router and the problem went away
2) Use IPConfig to configure the OS to not use TCP Window Scaling - instructions are on the Microsoft site.

This problem also prevented me from downloading Adobe, Chrome, Skype and every other file I tried.

Hope this is of help to others.

MP in NZ.

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

John,Suggest you call in for no charge support.
18-Nov-07

[...]

On Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:54 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

Windows Update error 80200053
I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

On Monday, November 12, 2007 3:13 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

80200053 = validation failureI'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the
80200053 = validation failure

I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.

Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
nice with Vista <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John Riehl wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:31 AM
JohnRieh wrote:

MowGreen,This sounds reasonable.
MowGreen,

This sounds reasonable. I'm trying to download the patch but of course the
download site hasn't been responding for the last two days. Will let you
know when I finally can get the patch downloaded and installed.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:40 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem.
I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
reinstalling? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:50 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

[...]

"John Riehl" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:09 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

[...]

John Riehl wrote:

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:01 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

MowGreen,Thanks for your continued patience.
MowGreen,

Thanks for your continued patience. I guess I'm surprised that a mainstream
anti-virus product like McAfee would intefere with Vista. However, I did
turn it all off and tried to install the updates...and they were
unsuccessful, returning the same errors as before. Is there some sort of a
log file or something that I can include that would help you and/or the
Microsoft engineers diagnose this problem? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:17 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Web - Based .NET Framework Class Browser
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-framewor.aspx