Microsoft Update Error

Kipp99

Microsoft Update Error
Hi!

Today a security symbol appeared in my tray that said I have an update ready
for my computer. I clicked on it and the update started to install. It
completed the install but I get an error message that says:

This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

The security symbol still remains in my tray. And when I click to install I
keep getting the above message.

I have Windows XP with service pack 2.

What does this error mean?

- - Shelley

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Microsoft Update Error
"Kipp99" <Kipp99@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Today a security symbol appeared in my tray that said I have an update ready
> for my computer. I clicked on it and the update started to install. It
> completed the install but I get an error message that says:
>
> This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.
>
> The security symbol still remains in my tray. And when I click to install I
> keep getting the above message.
>
> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.

You may follow *all* the steps mentioned in
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

Bye,
Freudi
Kipp99

Re: Microsoft Update Error
Thank you for answering so fast. I followed your instructions and in
internet options under advanced I do not have Microsoft Virtual Machine. I
only have Java (Sun).

- - Shelley

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Kipp99" <Kipp99@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Today a security symbol appeared in my tray that said I have an update ready
> > for my computer. I clicked on it and the update started to install. It
> > completed the install but I get an error message that says:
> >
> > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.
> >
> > The security symbol still remains in my tray. And when I click to install I
> > keep getting the above message.
> >
> > I have Windows XP with service pack 2.

> You may follow *all* the steps mentioned in
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Update Error
Then hide the update.

"Kipp99" wrote:

> Thank you for answering so fast. I followed your instructions and in
> internet options under advanced I do not have Microsoft Virtual Machine. I
> only have Java (Sun).
>
> - - Shelley
>
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:
>
> > "Kipp99" <Kipp99@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> >
> > > Today a security symbol appeared in my tray that said I have an update ready
> > > for my computer. I clicked on it and the update started to install. It
> > > completed the install but I get an error message that says:
> > >
> > > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.
> > >
> > > The security symbol still remains in my tray. And when I click to install I
> > > keep getting the above message.
> > >
> > > I have Windows XP with service pack 2.

> > You may follow *all* the steps mentioned in
> > http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml
> >
> > Bye,
> > Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Microsoft Update Error
"Kipp99" <Kipp99@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>> You may follow *all* the steps mentioned in
>> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

> Thank you for answering so fast. I followed your instructions and in
> internet options under advanced I do not have Microsoft Virtual Machine.

And you've really followed *all* the steps mentioned in the article above
which means running through the registry (heart and brain of Windows) too?
Please do follow *all* the steps mentioned under "Uninstall Microsoft VM".
If there are files or folders mentionend missing on your system, continue
with the next steps.

Bye,
Freudi
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Microsoft Update Error
"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi@gmx.net> schrieb:
> "Kipp99" <Kipp99@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
>>> You may follow *all* the steps mentioned in
>>> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

>> Thank you for answering so fast. I followed your instructions and in
>> internet options under advanced I do not have Microsoft Virtual Machine.

> And you've really followed *all* the steps mentioned in the article above
> which means running through the registry (heart and brain of Windows) too?
> Please do follow *all* the steps mentioned under "Uninstall Microsoft VM".
> If there are files or folders mentionend missing on your system, continue
> with the next steps.

See also http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/java.php and the "How to
Remove the Microsoft JVM" section there.

Bye,
Freudi
Kipp99

Re: Microsoft Update Error
Thanks again for trying to help. I think I understand what is happening.
Let me know if you think this is right.

I went to your last link and put cmd in run and then typed in jview. This
is what it said:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark>jview
'jview' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

According to the above I do not have a copy of the virtual machine on my
computer. The security update is for the virtual machine and I don't have it
and my error message says:

"This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM."

So I don't need this upgrade if I don't have VM. How do I stop that
security symbol from appearing in my tray?

- - Shelley

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> >> Thank you for answering so fast. I followed your instructions and in
> >> internet options under advanced I do not have Microsoft Virtual Machine.

> > And you've really followed *all* the steps mentioned in the article above
> > which means running through the registry (heart and brain of Windows) too?
> > Please do follow *all* the steps mentioned under "Uninstall Microsoft VM".
> > If there are files or folders mentionend missing on your system, continue
> > with the next steps.

> See also http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/java.php and the "How to
> Remove the Microsoft JVM" section there.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Microsoft Update Error

>> > And you've really followed *all* the steps mentioned in the article above
>> > which means running through the registry (heart and brain of Windows) too?
>> > Please do follow *all* the steps mentioned under "Uninstall Microsoft VM".
>> > If there are files or folders mentionend missing on your system, continue
>> > with the next steps.

>> See also http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/java.php and the "How to
>> Remove the Microsoft JVM" section there.

> So I don't need this upgrade if I don't have VM.

True, but there are most likely some registry entries on your system which
indicate to Windows Update, that your system does have MS Java-VM installed.
Remove these Registry entries like described in the links posted above to
get rid of the "false" update. That's the way you really *resolve* the
*cause* for the "issue" while hiding the update on the Windows Update side
wouldn't solve the *cause*.

Bye,
Freudi