windows installer 3.1

dumas

windows installer 3.1
Hi
Unable to install windows installer 3.1. A message is displayed saying that
i have not permission (i think that refers to permission of making changes).
This happens everytime, even when i access the windows update and try to
make the update manually. I have the XP SP2.
I read some of others posts but until now i was unable to solve the problem.
Is there someone that can give a little help?
Thank you, people
Bye.
TaurArian

RE: windows installer 3.1
Guessing -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site

"dumas" wrote:

> Hi
> Unable to install windows installer 3.1. A message is displayed saying that
> i have not permission (i think that refers to permission of making changes).
> This happens everytime, even when i access the windows update and try to
> make the update manually. I have the XP SP2.
> I read some of others posts but until now i was unable to solve the problem.
> Is there someone that can give a little help?
> Thank you, people
> Bye.

dumas

RE: windows installer 3.1
Hi Taur Arian
No, I think I did not explain the problem clearly; I am my machine
admnistrator.
I can access the windows update; I have even dowloaded the windows
installer to my desktop and it began installing. however, begore finishing
the instalation a box appears with a message: "Access Denied", and the
installation stops. After the machine makes a reboot.
But the disgrace is that everytime i access the windowsupdate it always
tries install the windows installer and everything happens again.
I verified several services and i noticed that some oft them are stopped and
whwn i try to initiate them a box appears reporting an error, not the same
to differents services. Yesterday I did a XP re-installation but the problem
remained.
Tell me if you have any question about my explanation. I can not speak/write
english well and it may be difficult to you to understand my problem.
Thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Guessing -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
> Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
>
> "dumas" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Unable to install windows installer 3.1. A message is displayed saying that
> > i have not permission (i think that refers to permission of making changes).
> > This happens everytime, even when i access the windows update and try to
> > make the update manually. I have the XP SP2.
> > I read some of others posts but until now i was unable to solve the problem.
> > Is there someone that can give a little help?
> > Thank you, people
> > Bye.

TaurArian

RE: windows installer 3.1
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If that hasn't helped -

Have a look at the WU log file.

To view the log file, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

Are there any errors to indicate why it's not installing, if necessary copy
and paste the error codes in this thread and maybe someone will be able to
assist you.