Update will not finish

Geri O

Update will not finish
I'm very sorry if this has been covered, but I've searched until I'm blue in
the face for this particular topic. This is a new Gateway notebook
(refurbished, actually) with XP Media Edition. 43 updates have downloaded,
but they will not install. There is no error message. When I power the
computer down, I get the "Installing updates, do not turn the computer off"
message. No matter how long I let the computer sit in this state, the message
is still "Installing 1 of 43 updates". Eventually, I have to power down the
computer. And this continues to happen. Thanx for any help or directions to
find the fix. Yes, I'd love to think I could find it on my own, but this has
been going on for 3 days now. I have a version of XP Pro from my old,
deceased computer that I may upgrade to in the meantime.

Geri O
Engel

RE: Update will not finish
Hello Geri,

Test with this diagnose test,
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Please follow the link ftom this post

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-7d1be819b648

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a-49849a06e919

"Geri O" wrote:

> I'm very sorry if this has been covered, but I've searched until I'm blue in
> the face for this particular topic. This is a new Gateway notebook
> (refurbished, actually) with XP Media Edition. 43 updates have downloaded,
> but they will not install. There is no error message. When I power the
> computer down, I get the "Installing updates, do not turn the computer off"
> message. No matter how long I let the computer sit in this state, the message
> is still "Installing 1 of 43 updates". Eventually, I have to power down the
> computer. And this continues to happen. Thanx for any help or directions to
> find the fix. Yes, I'd love to think I could find it on my own, but this has
> been going on for 3 days now. I have a version of XP Pro from my old,
> deceased computer that I may upgrade to in the meantime.
>
> Geri O

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update will not finish
Go to Start > Run > type in

cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the Command Prompt, type these commands in pressing Enter after
*each* one

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Restart the system. Did the updates install ?
BTW, if you want to install XP Pro you will have to reformat the HD as
MCE is a subset of XP Pro. There is no upgrade available.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Geri O wrote:

> I'm very sorry if this has been covered, but I've searched until I'm blue in
> the face for this particular topic. This is a new Gateway notebook
> (refurbished, actually) with XP Media Edition. 43 updates have downloaded,
> but they will not install. There is no error message. When I power the
> computer down, I get the "Installing updates, do not turn the computer off"
> message. No matter how long I let the computer sit in this state, the message
> is still "Installing 1 of 43 updates". Eventually, I have to power down the
> computer. And this continues to happen. Thanx for any help or directions to
> find the fix. Yes, I'd love to think I could find it on my own, but this has
> been going on for 3 days now. I have a version of XP Pro from my old,
> deceased computer that I may upgrade to in the meantime.
>
> Geri O

antioch

Re: Update will not finish

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Geri,
>
> Test with this diagnose test,
> <http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>
>
> Please follow the link ftom this post
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-7d1be819b648
>
> For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pst.

How would one rate your post????????????
Antioch