Windows update

ace@hotmail.com

Windows update
My last Windows update was XML Core Services 4.0 service Pack 2. I install it
and it installs successfully. However, the secrurty shield remains and says
to install the same update again. It also installs automatically. My update
history says it has been downloaded about 20 times.

How do I stop getting that update?

Thanks!

JC
antioch

Re: Windows update

"ace@hotmail.com" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My last Windows update was XML Core Services 4.0 service Pack 2. I install
> it
> and it installs successfully. However, the secrurty shield remains and
> says
> to install the same update again. It also installs automatically. My
> update
> history says it has been downloaded about 20 times.
>
> How do I stop getting that update?
>
> Thanks!
>
> JC

You have posted on another's thread with a different problem and the
original thread was posted 9 Sept.
Not many will read back that far.
You could try the below but be prepared to go through this procedure more
than once.
Just because your history and Add/Remove show as installed, that may not be
a fact.

From TaurArian
TaurArian
How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339

Windows Update already installed
http://www.updatexp.com/windows-upda...installed.html

Windows Update says the update is still needed
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm

If this does not work, start another fresh thread stating what you have done
to sort your problem

Antioch

TaurArian

"antioch" wrote:
> You have posted on another's thread with a different problem and the
> original thread was posted 9 Sept.
> Not many will read back that far.
> You could try the below but be prepared to go through this procedure more
> than once.
> Just because your history and Add/Remove show as installed, that may not be
> a fact.
>

> From TaurArian
> TaurArian
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
> repeatedly offered an update
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339
>
> Windows Update already installed
> http://www.updatexp.com/windows-upda...installed.html
>
> Windows Update says the update is still needed
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm
>
> If this does not work, start another fresh thread stating what you have done
> to sort your problem
>
> Antioch

JC, In addition, have you checked the Known Issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

Sherry

Re: Windows update
TaurArian

I to was having the same problem with my update icon and wanting it to keep
updating. I did your instructions and first I checked on The Review you
History site and saw that I had a green check mark next to 4 of them9same
downloads). Than I did the next step and typed in %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log and I
got a message error saying Windows cant find C:\Windows\KBnnnnnn.log try
again and check the spelling. What did I do wrong? I am new to all of this
so any help would be apprciated

"TaurArian" wrote:

> > "ace@hotmail.com" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My last Windows update was XML Core Services 4.0 service Pack 2. I install
> > > it
> > > and it installs successfully. However, the secrurty shield remains and
> > > says
> > > to install the same update again. It also installs automatically. My
> > > update
> > > history says it has been downloaded about 20 times.
> > >
> > > How do I stop getting that update?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > JC

> "antioch" wrote:
> > You have posted on another's thread with a different problem and the
> > original thread was posted 9 Sept.
> > Not many will read back that far.
> > You could try the below but be prepared to go through this procedure more
> > than once.
> > Just because your history and Add/Remove show as installed, that may not be
> > a fact.
> >

> > From TaurArian
> > TaurArian
> > How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
> > repeatedly offered an update
> >
> > Windows Update already installed
> > http://www.updatexp.com/windows-upda...installed.html
> >
> > Windows Update says the update is still needed
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm
> >
> > If this does not work, start another fresh thread stating what you have done
> > to sort your problem
> >
> > Antioch
> >

> JC, In addition, have you checked the Known Issues -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Re: Windows update
Hi Sherry, the %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log refers to for example:
%Windir%\KB883821.log
In other words, the update log for the update that is giving you problems. I've just used
random numbers for an example.

So replace the nnnnnnnnn with numbers of the updates that are giving you problems.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| TaurArian
|
| I to was having the same problem with my update icon and wanting it to keep
| updating. I did your instructions and first I checked on The Review you
| History site and saw that I had a green check mark next to 4 of them9same
| downloads). Than I did the next step and typed in %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log and I
| got a message error saying Windows cant find C:\Windows\KBnnnnnn.log try
| again and check the spelling. What did I do wrong? I am new to all of this
| so any help would be apprciated
|

| "TaurArian" wrote:
|

| > > "ace@hotmail.com" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > "antioch" wrote:
| > > You have posted on another's thread with a different problem and the
| > > original thread was posted 9 Sept.
| > > Not many will read back that far.
| > > You could try the below but be prepared to go through this procedure more
| > > than once.
| > > Just because your history and Add/Remove show as installed, that may not be
| > > a fact.
| > >

| > > From TaurArian
| > > TaurArian
| > > How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
| > > repeatedly offered an update
| > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339
| > >
| > > Windows Update already installed
| > > http://www.updatexp.com/windows-upda...installed.html
| > >
| > > Windows Update says the update is still needed
| > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/needagain.htm
| > >
| > > If this does not work, start another fresh thread stating what you have done
| > > to sort your problem
| > >
| > > Antioch
| > >

| > JC, In addition, have you checked the Known Issues -
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

Sherry

Re: Windows update
Its me again. I got it typed right this time but a Window poped up and said
that Windows can not find what i typed in. DOes that mean that it was not
installed and that I am having trouble with installing It. If i go to my

Review your Update History which is shown down below. Down loaded severaly
times

There is checks maked under status in Green which you can not see but they
are there. I am guessing they never got downloaded right. Are you able to
help me figure out what to do next. I have had computers for about 8 yrs and
this is the first time I have came up against this problem. I did check some
of my other updates from before and when I typed in those they came up.

If Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
Pack 2 (KB936181) Friday, November 02, 2007 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Sherry, the %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log refers to for example:
> %Windir%\KB883821.log
> In other words, the update log for the update that is giving you problems. I've just used
> random numbers for an example.
>
> So replace the nnnnnnnnn with numbers of the updates that are giving you problems.
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | TaurArian
> |
> | I to was having the same problem with my update icon and wanting it to keep
> | updating. I did your instructions and first I checked on The Review you
> | History site and saw that I had a green check mark next to 4 of them9same
> | downloads). Than I did the next step and typed in %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log and I
> | got a message error saying Windows cant find C:\Windows\KBnnnnnn.log try
> | again and check the spelling. What did I do wrong? I am new to all of this
> | so any help would be apprciated

> | > JC, In addition, have you checked the Known Issues -
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Re: Windows update
Hi Sherry, have a look at the known issues with regard to this update:

| Its me again. I got it typed right this time but a Window poped up and said
| that Windows can not find what i typed in. DOes that mean that it was not
| installed and that I am having trouble with installing It. If i go to my
|
| Review your Update History which is shown down below. Down loaded severaly
| times
|
| There is checks maked under status in Green which you can not see but they
| are there. I am guessing they never got downloaded right. Are you able to
| help me figure out what to do next. I have had computers for about 8 yrs and
| this is the first time I have came up against this problem. I did check some
| of my other updates from before and when I typed in those they came up.
|
| If Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
| Pack 2 (KB936181) Friday, November 02, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Microsoft Update
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
| Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
| 2 (KB936181) Thursday, November 01, 2007 Automatic Updates
|

| Sherry
|

| "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Sherry, the %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log refers to for example:
| > %Windir%\KB883821.log
| > In other words, the update log for the update that is giving you problems. I've just
used
| > random numbers for an example.
| >
| > So replace the nnnnnnnnn with numbers of the updates that are giving you problems.
| >
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| >
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| >

| > "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | TaurArian
| > |
| > | I to was having the same problem with my update icon and wanting it to keep
| > | updating. I did your instructions and first I checked on The Review you
| > | History site and saw that I had a green check mark next to 4 of them9same
| > | downloads). Than I did the next step and typed in %Windir%\KBnnnnnn.log and I
| > | got a message error saying Windows cant find C:\Windows\KBnnnnnn.log try
| > | again and check the spelling. What did I do wrong? I am new to all of this
| > | so any help would be apprciated
| > |
| > |
| > |