CRITICAL: Vista 64-bit KB938194 update causes keyboard to stop wor

AlphaWolf_HK

CRITICAL: Vista 64-bit KB938194 update causes keyboard to stop wor
Yesterday I installed a bunch of updates, of which KB938194 was included, and
suddenly my keyboard wouldn't work. After several reboots and doing several
google searches I found no information to help resolve this problem. So I
decided to start uninstalling updates. (I had to bring up the virtual
keyboard in order to type.)

I looked through the update descriptions using the windows update applet,
and KB938194 mentioned "compatibility" so I figured it was the most likely to
be the culprit. Thus I uninstalled that update, and then rebooted. Sure
enough, my keyboard worked perfectly in vista after that.

My keyboard setup is admittedly off-standard. Namely, I have a PS/2 keyboard
connected via a PS/2 to USB adapter, which is connected to a 7-port USB hub,
which is connected to my PC. In other operating systems, such as windows XP
and linux, as well as in the BIOS, etc, this configuration works fine, so
there is no reason it shouldn't work with Vista, and furthermore the KB938194
update shouldn't break it either.

I highly suggest that Microsoft look into this and resolve it.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate
DL

Re: CRITICAL: Vista 64-bit KB938194 update causes keyboard to stop wor
My reading of the KB did'nt indicate that it was a critical update, but one
too be used in certain scenarios

"AlphaWolf_HK" <AlphaWolf_HK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday I installed a bunch of updates, of which KB938194 was included,
> and
> suddenly my keyboard wouldn't work. After several reboots and doing
> several
> google searches I found no information to help resolve this problem. So I
> decided to start uninstalling updates. (I had to bring up the virtual
> keyboard in order to type.)
>
> I looked through the update descriptions using the windows update applet,
> and KB938194 mentioned "compatibility" so I figured it was the most likely
> be the culprit. Thus I uninstalled that update, and then rebooted. Sure
> enough, my keyboard worked perfectly in vista after that.
>
> My keyboard setup is admittedly off-standard. Namely, I have a PS/2
> keyboard
> connected via a PS/2 to USB adapter, which is connected to a 7-port USB
> hub,
> which is connected to my PC. In other operating systems, such as windows
> XP
> and linux, as well as in the BIOS, etc, this configuration works fine, so
> there is no reason it shouldn't work with Vista, and furthermore the
> KB938194
> update shouldn't break it either.
>
> I highly suggest that Microsoft look into this and resolve it.
>

> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate

AlphaWolf_HK

Re: CRITICAL: Vista 64-bit KB938194 update causes keyboard to stop
Not saying the update is critical, saying the issue caused by the update is
critical. IE it has the possibility of rendering the system unusable.

"DL" wrote:

> My reading of the KB did'nt indicate that it was a critical update, but one
> too be used in certain scenarios
>
> "AlphaWolf_HK" <AlphaWolf_HK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday I installed a bunch of updates, of which KB938194 was included,
> > and
> > suddenly my keyboard wouldn't work. After several reboots and doing
> > several
> > google searches I found no information to help resolve this problem. So I
> > decided to start uninstalling updates. (I had to bring up the virtual
> > keyboard in order to type.)
> >
> > I looked through the update descriptions using the windows update applet,
> > and KB938194 mentioned "compatibility" so I figured it was the most likely
> > be the culprit. Thus I uninstalled that update, and then rebooted. Sure
> > enough, my keyboard worked perfectly in vista after that.
> >
> > My keyboard setup is admittedly off-standard. Namely, I have a PS/2
> > keyboard
> > connected via a PS/2 to USB adapter, which is connected to a 7-port USB
> > hub,
> > which is connected to my PC. In other operating systems, such as windows
> > XP
> > and linux, as well as in the BIOS, etc, this configuration works fine, so
> > there is no reason it shouldn't work with Vista, and furthermore the
> > KB938194
> > update shouldn't break it either.
> >
> > I highly suggest that Microsoft look into this and resolve it.
> >

> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate

MadMigMR2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm having the same problems, but only occured yesterday

I have a bluetooth logitech dinovo and a regular ps/2 keyboard connected

On device manager both logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard and PS/2 Keyboard icons have an yellow triangle with the exclamation point

what is weird is that i can sync the mouse and it works well
I can sync the keyboard (dinovo bluetooth) were i have to enter 4 numbers and press enter and after that it simply doesn't respond from any key

i already removed the devices from device manager and disconnected and connected again but nothing works