A Vista optional update is incorrect

lextm

A Vista optional update is incorrect
One of my friend owns a ASUS A8L notebook with Mobile Intel 965 Express
Family display adapter. There is an optional driver update published on
October 3rd, 2007 for this family of adapters on Windows Update, so he
installed it but blue screen occured.

I helped him to remove the wrong driver under safe mode and install the
official driver update from
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...rsion&lang=eng

Then we found everything is okay again.

Please remove the incorrect driver update from Windows Update and add a
correctly one instead. Luckily this wrong update is optional so many people
do not know of it already.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate
Shenan Stanley

Re: A Vista optional update is incorrect
lextm wrote:
> One of my friend owns a ASUS A8L notebook with Mobile Intel 965
> Express Family display adapter. There is an optional driver update
> published on October 3rd, 2007 for this family of adapters on
> Windows Update, so he installed it but blue screen occured.
>
> I helped him to remove the wrong driver under safe mode and install
> the official driver update from
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...rsion&lang=eng
>
> Then we found everything is okay again.
>
> Please remove the incorrect driver update from Windows Update and
> add a correctly one instead. Luckily this wrong update is optional
> so many people do not know of it already.

This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup.

Never install hardware driver updates from Microsoft *unless* the hardware
in question was made by Microsoft.

Always get your hardware drivers from the manufacturer of the device. They
made it - they support it - why would you go anywhere else?

The driver - just because it blue-screened your friend's system - is not
necessarily the 'wrong' driver. It just may have issues. The reason it is
on Microsoft update is because those who made the hardware submitted it to
Microsoft, paid for it and it was tested and put there by Microsoft. Your
friend may have a combination of other things that trigger something in that
driver that was later discovered - but the manufacturer decided there was no
need to pay Microsoft and submit yet another driver so it could be placed in
the updates list from Microsoft.

The general rule of thumb has always been the same...
Get your support from the manufacturer of the device in question. If you
buy a new A/C unit and it breaks down, you don't go back to the original
builder of the home for parts for the A/C unit. If you get a new paint job
on your vehicle and it starts flaking off, you don't go to the manufacturer
of the car to fix the paint job. If you put a third party icemaker in your
refrigerator, you don't go to the manufacturer of the refrigerator for parts
to make the icemaker work. You go back to the manufacturer of said part for
support/parts for said part.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP