Uninstall WDS problem - No Permissions

Greg Candido

Uninstall WDS problem - No Permissions
Recently Windows Update installed Windows Desktop Search (WDS) on all my
networks workstations. I created a batch file that silently uninstalls this
application (Which Microsoft throws upon us). My intention was when a user
logons on it will execute the batch file (Silently) and uninstall the
application from the user's workstation.

Heres the problem:

None of our domain workstations have any local administrative permissions,
nor does the user. So when the batch file runs when the user logon script
executes it says. The uninstall says 'Access Denied', blah, blah, blah due to
these restrictive permissions.

Now I don't want to give the user or the workstation any administrative
permissions. How can I execute the script with full administrative
permissions? Just so the uninstall will perform. I really don't feel like
walking around to 150 workstation to uninstall this.

BTW if I do give the workstation/user full permission the batch file
executes fine.

Greg
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Uninstall WDS problem - No Permissions
Give this a shot, Greg:
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archiv...p.aspx#2288114

> Put the script in your Active Directory Computer Startup GPO and this runs with the
> necessary rights, also /norestart if you don't want it to retart the PC
>
> [ instead of /promptrestart ]
>
> %windir%\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe /q /promptrestart
>
> This works great!
>
> Add a policy object and set startup script to
>
> %windir%\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe
>
> and set parameters to
>
> /q /promptrestart
>
> Link the GPO to a specific OU in your Active Directory and it works. I tried it on
> several systems.
>
> Offcourse it can take a while for your policy to be replicated so to test go to the
> commandprompt on the workstation and use gpupdate /force

*Note* that some posters have seen the Quick Launch bar become Disabled
when uninstalling WDS.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten