IE7 Installation Failure

msbendts

IE7 Installation Failure
I'm having issues trying to install IE7 on WinXP SP2. The Windows Update
downloads the file just fine, extracts the archive, but then causes a
DRWatson error when it starts the installation.

The Event View details are:
Faulting application iesetup.exe, version 7.0.5730.13, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6b463f5e.

DRWatson also does an immediate fault with the following:
Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module
dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

This is a freshly installed WinXP (from formated scratch) with SP2 and all
patches installed. I have no additional software (no antivirus, no Adobe,
etc.) and get the error.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be great...

Mike
PA Bear

Re: IE7 Installation Failure
Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!

[And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that you
check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install any
critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.]

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

msbendts wrote:
> I'm having issues trying to install IE7 on WinXP SP2. The Windows Update
> downloads the file just fine, extracts the archive, but then causes a
> DRWatson error when it starts the installation.
>
> The Event View details are:
> Faulting application iesetup.exe, version 7.0.5730.13, faulting module
> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6b463f5e.
>
> DRWatson also does an immediate fault with the following:
> Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module
> dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.
>
> This is a freshly installed WinXP (from formated scratch) with SP2 and all
> patches installed. I have no additional software (no antivirus, no Adobe,
> etc.) and get the error.
>
> Any help or pointers in the right direction would be great...
>
> Mike

antioch

"msbendts" <msbendts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having issues trying to install IE7 on WinXP SP2. The Windows Update
> downloads the file just fine, extracts the archive, but then causes a
> DRWatson error when it starts the installation.
>
> The Event View details are:
> Faulting application iesetup.exe, version 7.0.5730.13, faulting module
> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6b463f5e.
>
> DRWatson also does an immediate fault with the following:
> Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module
> dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.
>
> This is a freshly installed WinXP (from formated scratch) with SP2 and all
> patches installed. I have no additional software (no antivirus, no Adobe,
> etc.) and get the error.
>
> Any help or pointers in the right direction would be great...
>
> Mike

Mike
You have not received a reply - the below may be the reason -
IE7 questions should be posted to the Internet Explorer General newsgroup as
below -

In your Newsreader:

If you need to use the Web Interface -

Have you tried to Google the error/fault codes?
Have you read, the rather long, installation advice in MS?

Release notes.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

A good read here.

Did you download from here?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Rgds
Antioch

msbendts

Re: IE7 Installation Failure
Antioch & PA Bear --

I'll post in the IE7 group...I started here as this occured as part of the
Windows Update, but this is leading to be more of a IE7 installation problem
vs. a Windows Update problem.

I have Googled on the error/fault codes:
IE7 --> 0x6b463f5e
DRWatson --> 0x0001295d
The IE7 fault has no hits (surprising!), while the DRWatson has some hits,
but reasons & references don't seem to correlate. Tried somethings (like
installing in Safe mode) with the same error.

I have downloaded the stand alone EXE, did the "/x" switch to just extract
the files, and run the IESETUP.EXE file with the same error.

I'd consider a fresh install, except that this IS a fresh (reformat)
install. I am rebuilding the laptop (too much junk had been collected over
the past 14-months, time to start fresh), and the only thing I have done is
perform Windows Update to patch the OS. This was about the fourth run...had
to patch the OS first, reboot, install SP2, reboot, more patches, reboot, and
now update IE7. I have been able to install all the windows update
patches/add-ons without a hitch except IE7. This isn't even a OEM build, but
an MSDN WinXP Home cd.

As for the links & reads...yes, I've read through them. The IE-VISTA
website (also referenced by PA Bear as Sandi's Tips) is an interesting read,
though outdated as much of it refers to IE7 Beta & Release Candidate. The
valuable tip was on the LOG files (c:\windows\ie7_main.log)...though my log
file doesn't provide any additional insight.

00:00.000:
00:00.031: Started: 2007/10/30 (Y/M/D) 20:30:46.500 (local)
00:00.047: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.063: Command line: "C:\Documents and Settings\Gracie\My
Documents\IE7\update\iesetup.exe"
00:00.391: INFO: Acquired Package Installer Mutex
00:00.406: INFO: Operating System: Windows Workstation: 5.1.2600 (Service
Pack 2)
00:00.781: INFO: Checking version for C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe: 6.0.2900.2180
00:00.797: INFO: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe version:
6.0.2900.2180
00:00.828: INFO: Checking if iexplore.exe's current version is between
7.0.0.0...
00:00.875: INFO: ...and 7.1.0.0...
00:00.922: INFO: Maximum version on which to run IEAK branding is:
7.1.0.0...
00:00.953: INFO: iexplore.exe version check success. Install can proceed.
------------------

"antioch" wrote:

> Mike
> You have not received a reply - the below may be the reason -
> IE7 questions should be posted to the Internet Explorer General newsgroup as
> below -
>
> In your Newsreader:
>
> If you need to use the Web Interface -
>
> Have you tried to Google the error/fault codes?
> Have you read, the rather long, installation advice in MS?
>
> Release notes.
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
>
> A good read here.
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> Did you download from here?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>

> Rgds
> Antioch

msbendts

RE: IE7 Installation Failure
I have tracked down the source of the problem to be faulty memory modules. I
have two 512MB memory modules, and both are proving to be an issue. If I
remove just one (or the other), I still get the problem...but removing both
(and using a single old 256MB module I had laying around) the installation
welcome screen comes right up.

These two module had been in the machine for over a year working just fine
(and it did have WinXP w/IE7 as well). A new laptop was purchased, so it was
time to migrate this laptop to another family member...and it was easiest to
do a fresh install to remove all the "junk".

Odd that the refreshing also caused both memory modules to fail.

antioch

>I have tracked down the source of the problem to be faulty memory modules.
> have two 512MB memory modules, and both are proving to be an issue. If I
> remove just one (or the other), I still get the problem...but removing
> both
> (and using a single old 256MB module I had laying around) the installation
> welcome screen comes right up.
>
> These two module had been in the machine for over a year working just fine
> (and it did have WinXP w/IE7 as well). A new laptop was purchased, so it
> was
> time to migrate this laptop to another family member...and it was easiest
> do a fresh install to remove all the "junk".
>
> Odd that the refreshing also caused both memory modules to fail.

Well done.
If you have the time, a copy and paste into the discussion group for IE7 may
be of help to somebody else.
Have you thought about using newsgroups instead of that clunky error prone
discussion group??

Antioch