XML Core Services 4.o Update

Talon

XML Core Services 4.o Update
Hey Folks,
Greetings and salutations. I have been continually badgered by my,
"automatic update" imp to download this XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) to no end. I have downloaded and installed it 4 times and the,
"automatic update" icon refuses to go away!? You gentle folks have any clues
here?

Apollo

RE: XML Core Services 4.o Update
Hey Talon,

I've been having the same issue with auto updates. Though my update history
claims i have successfully installed the xml core serv. 4.0 it continues to
notify me. Saw your post yesterday, wondered if you have resolved the issue
despite no replys.

please let me know, thanks.

"Talon" wrote:

> Hey Folks,
> Greetings and salutations. I have been continually badgered by my,
> "automatic update" imp to download this XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181) to no end. I have downloaded and installed it 4 times and the,
> "automatic update" icon refuses to go away!? You gentle folks have any clues
> here?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XML Core Services 4.o Update
From KB936181:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs
item in Control Panel.
2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or
Remove Programs item in Control Panel.

The update will be listed as 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)'
Click the Remove button. If it is NOT listed or will not uninstall, show
hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories], navigate
to the WINDOWS folder [directory] and see if there is a
$NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder. Open it and then open the 'spuninst'
subfolder. Double click spuninst.exe to uninstall KB936181.

Then navigate to WINDOWS\system32
Locate msxml4.dll
Delete it
Close Windows Explorer

Back in Add/Remove Programs, see if this is listed:
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
IF it is, click the Change button
That *should* repair MSXML 4 and replace the file you just deleted.

IF it is not listed and/or there is no $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder,
download KB936181 from here and SAVE it:

Close the browser and any other open programs. TEMPORARILY disable the
installed antivirus/security software. Consult the Help file or visit
the manufacturer's web site to learn how this is accomplished.
ALL services of the AV must be stopped, too.

If this makes you uncomfortable while still being connected to the
net/network, then disconnect the system for now.

Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.

PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
software FIRST.

Did that get it installed properly ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Talon wrote:

> Hey Folks,
> Greetings and salutations. I have been continually badgered by my,
> "automatic update" imp to download this XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181) to no end. I have downloaded and installed it 4 times and the,
> "automatic update" icon refuses to go away!? You gentle folks have any clues
> here?

Apollo

Re: XML Core Services 4.o Update
Hi,

I was able to remove the security update (kb936181) using add/remove, but
when i tried to delete the file 'msxml4.dll' in the system32 folder access
was denied - "make sure disk is not full or or write protected or the file is
not currently in use."
Then tried to disable security protection but still was unable to delete file.

any idea?

thanks for your help

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> From KB936181:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>
> 1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs
> item in Control Panel.
> 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
> 3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or
> Remove Programs item in Control Panel.
>
> The update will be listed as 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)'
> Click the Remove button. If it is NOT listed or will not uninstall, show
> hidden files, folders, and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories], navigate
> to the WINDOWS folder [directory] and see if there is a
> $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder. Open it and then open the 'spuninst'
> subfolder. Double click spuninst.exe to uninstall KB936181.
>
> Then navigate to WINDOWS\system32
> Locate msxml4.dll
> Delete it
> Close Windows Explorer
>
> Back in Add/Remove Programs, see if this is listed:
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
> IF it is, click the Change button
> That *should* repair MSXML 4 and replace the file you just deleted.
>
> IF it is not listed and/or there is no $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder,
> download KB936181 from here and SAVE it:
>
> Close the browser and any other open programs. TEMPORARILY disable the
> installed antivirus/security software. Consult the Help file or visit
> the manufacturer's web site to learn how this is accomplished.
> ALL services of the AV must be stopped, too.
>
> If this makes you uncomfortable while still being connected to the
> net/network, then disconnect the system for now.
>
> Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
> Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.
>
> PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
> software FIRST.
>
> Did that get it installed properly ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Talon wrote:
>
> > Hey Folks,
> > Greetings and salutations. I have been continually badgered by my,
> > "automatic update" imp to download this XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > (KB936181) to no end. I have downloaded and installed it 4 times and the,
> > "automatic update" icon refuses to go away!? You gentle folks have any clues
> > here?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XML Core Services 4.o Update
Restart the system to Safe Mode and see if you can delete it from there:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._failsafe.mspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Apollo wrote:

> [...]
>>net/network, then disconnect the system for now.
>>
>>Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
>>Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.
>>
>>PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
>>software FIRST.
>>
>>Did that get it installed properly ?
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Talon wrote:
>>

>>>Hey Folks,
>>>Greetings and salutations. I have been continually badgered by my,
>>>"automatic update" imp to download this XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
>>>(KB936181) to no end. I have downloaded and installed it 4 times and the,
>>>"automatic update" icon refuses to go away!? You gentle folks have any clues

onedartwonder

Re: XML Core Services 4.o Update
MowGreen,

Thanks for the step by step instructions. While this 'fix' took me into
unchartered waters on my computer, I was able to fix my problem. Happy
Holidays.