Generic Host Error message

claire

Generic Host Error message
I need some help, please! Everytime I click on Internet Explorer and it
connects to my home page, I get an error message. The message is: "Generic
Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." Then it asks if I want to send an error report.
I have sent the error report and this error comes up everytime on log on to
Internet Explorer. I always have to click to send error report or don't send.
This has been going on for about two weeks now and it is getting very
annoying. Please help me. I don't even know what it means by "Generic Host
Process for Win32". Thanks in advance.
PA Bear

Re: Generic Host Error message
Windows version? IE version? What does your problem have to do with
Windows Update?

Speaking of which, is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

==========================
You receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you start the
computer, or DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text
e-mail messages:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

NB: If the machine's fully patched, you don't need the above hotfix nor
would it install if you got it.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

claire wrote:
> I need some help, please! Everytime I click on Internet Explorer and it
> connects to my home page, I get an error message. The message is: "Generic
> Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> are
> sorry for the inconvenience." Then it asks if I want to send an error
> report. I have sent the error report and this error comes up everytime on
> log on to Internet Explorer. I always have to click to send error report
> or
> don't send. This has been going on for about two weeks now and it is
> getting very annoying. Please help me. I don't even know what it means by
> "Generic Host Process for Win32". Thanks in advance.

claire

Re: Generic Host Error message
Windows version - XP IE version - 7.0
Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?
My computer is setup to automatically receive updates.I just want to get rid
of this error message and don't know how to go about that. That is why I
posted a comment, so that someone could possibly help me fix this problem.
Like I said, I don't even know what "Generic Host" means.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Windows version? IE version? What does your problem have to do with
> Windows Update?
>
> Speaking of which, is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
>
> ==========================
> You receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you start the
> computer, or DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text
> e-mail messages:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
>
> NB: If the machine's fully patched, you don't need the above hotfix nor
> would it install if you got it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> claire wrote:
> > I need some help, please! Everytime I click on Internet Explorer and it
> > connects to my home page, I get an error message. The message is: "Generic
> > Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> > are
> > sorry for the inconvenience." Then it asks if I want to send an error
> > report. I have sent the error report and this error comes up everytime on
> > log on to Internet Explorer. I always have to click to send error report
> > or
> > don't send. This has been going on for about two weeks now and it is
> > getting very annoying. Please help me. I don't even know what it means by
> > "Generic Host Process for Win32". Thanks in advance.

TaurArian

Re: Generic Host Error message
Possibilities:
1.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...enience.&meta=
or
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

"claire" wrote:

> Windows version - XP IE version - 7.0
> Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?
> My computer is setup to automatically receive updates.I just want to get rid
> of this error message and don't know how to go about that. That is why I
> posted a comment, so that someone could possibly help me fix this problem.
> Like I said, I don't even know what "Generic Host" means.
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Windows version? IE version? What does your problem have to do with
> > Windows Update?
> >
> > Speaking of which, is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
> >
> > ==========================
> > You receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you start the
> > computer, or DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text
> > e-mail messages:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
> >
> > NB: If the machine's fully patched, you don't need the above hotfix nor
> > would it install if you got it.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
> >
> > claire wrote:
> > > I need some help, please! Everytime I click on Internet Explorer and it
> > > connects to my home page, I get an error message. The message is: "Generic
> > > Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> > > are
> > > sorry for the inconvenience." Then it asks if I want to send an error
> > > report. I have sent the error report and this error comes up everytime on
> > > log on to Internet Explorer. I always have to click to send error report
> > > or
> > > don't send. This has been going on for about two weeks now and it is
> > > getting very annoying. Please help me. I don't even know what it means by
> > > "Generic Host Process for Win32". Thanks in advance.

PA Bear

Re: Generic Host Error message
> Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?

You posted your question in a Windows Update*-specific newsgroup, Claire.

Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:

That being said...

=> What's your home page?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?
========================
*As in http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

claire wrote:
> Windows version - XP IE version - 7.0
> Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?
> My computer is setup to automatically receive updates.I just want to get
> rid
> of this error message and don't know how to go about that. That is why I
> posted a comment, so that someone could possibly help me fix this problem.
> Like I said, I don't even know what "Generic Host" means.
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> Windows version? IE version? What does your problem have to do with
>> Windows Update?
>>
>> Speaking of which, is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
>>
>> ==========================
>> You receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you start the
>> computer, or DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text
>> e-mail messages:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
>>
>> NB: If the machine's fully patched, you don't need the above hotfix nor
>> would it install if you got it.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> claire wrote:
>>> I need some help, please! Everytime I click on Internet Explorer and it
>>> connects to my home page, I get an error message. The message is:
>>> "Generic
>>> Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
>>> are
>>> sorry for the inconvenience." Then it asks if I want to send an error
>>> report. I have sent the error report and this error comes up everytime
>>> on
>>> log on to Internet Explorer. I always have to click to send error report
>>> or
>>> don't send. This has been going on for about two weeks now and it is
>>> getting very annoying. Please help me. I don't even know what it means
>>> by
>>> "Generic Host Process for Win32". Thanks in advance.

claire

Re: Generic Host Error message
PA Bear - I tried starting IE7 with no add-ons like you said and received no
Generic host message. Thanks for the suggestion. Now, how do I figure out
what is wrong and how do I fix this problem? I went to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
and downloaded the quick fix associated with this problem but it still comes
up when I go to my homepage with add-ons.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> > Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?

> You posted your question in a Windows Update*-specific newsgroup, Claire.
>
> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
> support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:
>
> In your newsreader:
>
> That being said...
>
> => What's your home page?
>
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
>
> 2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?
> ========================
> *As in http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>
> claire wrote:
> > Windows version - XP IE version - 7.0
> > Not sure what you mean by what the problem has to do with windows update?
> > My computer is setup to automatically receive updates.I just want to get
> > rid
> > of this error message and don't know how to go about that. That is why I
> > posted a comment, so that someone could possibly help me fix this problem.
> > Like I said, I don't even know what "Generic Host" means.
> >

> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >> Windows version? IE version? What does your problem have to do with
> >> Windows Update?
> >>
> >> Speaking of which, is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
> >>
> >> ==========================
> >> You receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you start the
> >> computer, or DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text
> >> e-mail messages:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
> >>
> >> NB: If the machine's fully patched, you don't need the above hotfix nor
> >> would it install if you got it.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

PA Bear

Re: Generic Host Error message
Crosspost to IE General newsgroup.

I told you that hotfix 894391 wouldn't resolve the issue if your machine's
fully-patched at Windows Update. (It probably didn't even install.)

>> => What's your home page?

Care to tell me?

>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

See the above for some troubleshooting tips.

The above notwithstanding, it might be a hijackware problem: Unexplained
computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**