Service Pack 2 installation nightmare

Tina Maire

Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
isn't in any topics.
I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was finally
able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Tina
TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Tina Maire" <Tina Maire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
| isn't in any topics.
| I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
| It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was finally
| able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
| great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
| worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
| everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
| Thanks
| Tina

PA Bear

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
I'll assume Windows XP SP2.

1. Uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
log to an appropriate forum.

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe)
is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware.

**Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

3. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
of health.

Also see:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver:
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
WinXP-specific newsgroup:

Tina Maire wrote:
> I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
> isn't in any topics.
> I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
> It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was
> finally
> able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
> great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
> worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
> everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Tina

realcestmoi

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Hi there,

Are you by any chance running an AMD 64 bit cpu?

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Tina Maire" <Tina Maire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
> isn't in any topics.
> I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
> It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was
> finally
> able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
> great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
> worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
> everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Tina

Tina Maire

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Yes I am, it's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual.
Thanks
Tina Garcia

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Are you by any chance running an AMD 64 bit cpu?
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> "Tina Maire" <Tina Maire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
> > isn't in any topics.
> > I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
> > It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was
> > finally
> > able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
> > great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
> > worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
> > everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
> > Thanks
> > Tina

realcestmoi

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Hi there,

Are you getting a blue screen for the PC reboots?

Best regards,
Michel Denie
> Yes I am, it's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual.
> Thanks
> Tina Garcia
>
> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Are you by any chance running an AMD 64 bit cpu?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michel Denie
>>
>> "Tina Maire" <Tina Maire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this
>> > problem
>> > isn't in any topics.
>> > I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP
>> > 2.
>> > It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was
>> > finally
>> > able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine
>> > worked
>> > great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
>> > worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it
>> > but
>> > everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
>> > Thanks
>> > Tina

Tina Maire

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
I get the blue screen for a moment, then it reboots and trys to load but it
never gets past the bios boot. It trys at least twice to boot up and then I
get the "windows had problems loading etc.." msg and then it gives me my
options on how to get into Windows. SAFE Mode is the only one that works.
Thanks,
Tina
"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Are you getting a blue screen for the PC reboots?
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
> "Tina Maire" <TinaMaire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I am, it's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual.
> > Thanks
> > Tina Garcia
> >
> > "realcestmoi" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Are you by any chance running an AMD 64 bit cpu?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Michel Denie

realcestmoi

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Hi there I ha d a simulair issue like yours,I might have a solution.

Can you send me the text that is in your boot.ini file?

Best regards,

Michel Denie

>I get the blue screen for a moment, then it reboots and trys to load but it
> never gets past the bios boot. It trys at least twice to boot up and then
> get the "windows had problems loading etc.." msg and then it gives me my
> options on how to get into Windows. SAFE Mode is the only one that works.
> Thanks,
> Tina
> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Are you getting a blue screen for the PC reboots?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michel Denie
>> "Tina Maire" <TinaMaire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes I am, it's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual.
>> > Thanks
>> > Tina Garcia

Tina Maire

RE: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Okay, here goes the file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I do appreciate this - it's driving me nuts -
Thanks
Tina Maire
"Tina Maire" wrote:

> I'm not sure where this falls. I've read several groups and this problem
> isn't in any topics.
> I bought a new hard drive - everythig worked great until I installed SP 2.
> It would not let my machine boot up, it just kept rebooting. I was finally
> able to get in through Safe Mode and uninstalled SP 2. My machine worked
> great. Thought it might be the hard drive, so used another that I know
> worked, same exact thing happened. I'm baffled, I have to install it but
> everytime I do, it screws up my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Tina

realcestmoi

Re: Service Pack 2 installation nightmare
Heloo Tina,

I do not know if your system is still in service pack 2 state?

But you can chanche the boot.ini anyway or in normal mode if SP1 or safe
mode if Sp2 to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute= AlwaysOff /fastdetect /usepmtimer

With me that solved the blue screen (reboot when an error occurs is disabled
on my system for possible troubleshooting) and windows booted normally.

Let me know please if this solved it for you too?

Best regards,
Michel Denie