windows desktop search 3.01 ??DID MICROSOFT MESSED UP AGAIN??

rsilverman13

windows desktop search 3.01 ??DID MICROSOFT MESSED UP AGAIN??
I saw an update for widows desktop search 3.01 KB917013 on my XP's. So I
installed on my first computer, seemed to look ok. So I installed it on my
second XP computer (I got 4 Windows 1 apple). I let them do their searches
and indexes and hours later I did a search (when the indexing was complete).
I then noticed that I would get different results from the two. **** Note, I
crashed one of them last week, so that every single piece of data is exactly
the same in both computers. Expecialy pictures and music. **** I get 16,000+
on one computer and 40,000+ on the other. I put in .doc and got 128 from one
computer and 1415 (correct) from the other. I would double check using serach
companion, but somthing is not right with WDS 3.01. KB917013.

I removed them from the two computers and used the HIDE the update so I
would not update it again.

**** When I checked my other computers the next day the KB917013 was not on
any machines - And even went back to the first two I the hidden updates from
the two I had installed and removed, and it was gone from them too ***

WHAT HAPPENED DID MICROSOFT MESS UP AGAIN???????????????????????????

Shenan Stanley

Re: windows desktop search 3.01 ??DID MICROSOFT MESSED UP AGAIN??
rsilverman13 wrote:
> I saw an update for widows desktop search 3.01 KB917013 on my XP's.
> So I installed on my first computer, seemed to look ok. So I
> installed it on my second XP computer (I got 4 Windows 1 apple). I
> let them do their searches and indexes and hours later I did a
> search (when the indexing was complete). I then noticed that I
> would get different results from the two. **** Note, I crashed one
> of them last week, so that every single piece of data is exactly
> the same in both computers. Expecialy pictures and music. **** I
> get 16,000+ on one computer and 40,000+ on the other. I put in .doc
> and got 128 from one computer and 1415 (correct) from the other. I
> would double check using serach companion, but somthing is not
> right with WDS 3.01. KB917013.
>
> I removed them from the two computers and used the HIDE the update
> so I would not update it again.
>
> **** When I checked my other computers the next day the KB917013
> was not on any machines - And even went back to the first two I
> the hidden updates from the two I had installed and removed, and it
> was gone from them too ***
>

> WHAT HAPPENED DID MICROSOFT MESS UP AGAIN???????????????????????????

I would advice you not to bother with Windows Desktop Search for a while.
It has several issues that I know of and the concensus seems to be leaning
*away* from it. ("Concensus" from Google searches/newsgroups...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear

Re: windows desktop search 3.01 ??DID MICROSOFT MESSED UP AGAIN??
Yep.

WDS revision update, expanded applicability rules, auto-approve revisions
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archiv...revisions.aspx

WDS update revision follow-up
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archiv...follow-up.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

rsilverman13 wrote:
> I saw an update for widows desktop search 3.01 KB917013 on my XP's. So I
> installed on my first computer, seemed to look ok. So I installed it on my
> second XP computer (I got 4 Windows 1 apple). I let them do their searches
> and indexes and hours later I did a search (when the indexing was
> complete).
> I then noticed that I would get different results from the two. **** Note,
> crashed one of them last week, so that every single piece of data is
> exactly
> the same in both computers. Expecialy pictures and music. **** I get
> 16,000+
> on one computer and 40,000+ on the other. I put in .doc and got 128 from
> one
> computer and 1415 (correct) from the other. I would double check using
> serach companion, but somthing is not right with WDS 3.01. KB917013.
>
> I removed them from the two computers and used the HIDE the update so I
> would not update it again.
>
> **** When I checked my other computers the next day the KB917013 was not
> on
> any machines - And even went back to the first two I the hidden updates
> from the two I had installed and removed, and it was gone from them too
> ***
>

> WHAT HAPPENED DID MICROSOFT MESS UP AGAIN???????????????????????????

rsilverman13

Re: windows desktop search 3.01 ??DID MICROSOFT MESSED UP AGAIN??
Why doesn't microsoft notify us on the update page when they make an error. I
didn't have the automatic problem like the networked people. It showed up as
an optional update. I figured optional - means that the indexing system would
work more like the better VISTA. Boy was I wrong. What do I know I am just a
computer teacher, and like the most current features on my computers. From
now on I wait a week for feedback before installing optional features.

MICROSOFT - I've been married three times, but you guys have more of my
money that all three of them combined! I like to get kissed before getting ...