Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene

Lee

Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
I have loaded all the critical/important and extra updates. No matter how
many times I download "Windows DreamScene," Windows Vista Update shows it as
completed and then keeps showing it as not loaded each time I reboot the PC.

How do I fix this?

On a side note: Are any of you as fristrated with updating Windows Vista as
I am? It takes hours and sometimes days to load updates.
thxheynow

RE: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
If it helps ive been having the same problem for days..... i acctually had
some critical updates that ended up showing up again to be installed .... and
i cant get the language packs in either. Unreal amount of problems for a
year old OS yould think we were beta testing this thing.

"Lee" wrote:

> I have loaded all the critical/important and extra updates. No matter how
> many times I download "Windows DreamScene," Windows Vista Update shows it as
> completed and then keeps showing it as not loaded each time I reboot the PC.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> On a side note: Are any of you as fristrated with updating Windows Vista as
> I am? It takes hours and sometimes days to load updates.

Rob

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have loaded all the critical/important and extra updates. No matter how
> many times I download "Windows DreamScene," Windows Vista Update shows it
> as
> completed and then keeps showing it as not loaded each time I reboot the
> PC.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> On a side note: Are any of you as fristrated with updating Windows Vista
> as
> I am? It takes hours and sometimes days to load updates.

Hi Lee,

Also have Dell PC, also having same problems with Windows Dreamscene update
KB933713 and funnily enough Microsoft Update takes an absolute age to
complete.

Just checking for Updates takes anywhere between 7 & 15 minutes

If any updates are found then a further 10 ~20 minutes to download each one
regardless of size

A further 20~30 minutes to initialize and install each update again
regardless of size

The last lot of Language packs (about 12 I think) took a ridiculous 22 hours
to download and install.

I dual boot with XP (separate drive) and XP flies when updating so god knows
what Vista is doing. Vista really lags when doing simple stuff like checking
for updates, uninstalling updates, switching off Windows features. I would
also be interested to know if anyone else has similar problems, but I
suspect it has something to do with my particular installation. I considered
doing a repair of Windows but unsure of procedure and if it'll fix Windows
Update software. I tried installing the Windows Update Client but it
affected UAC whereby it would complain that the program wanting permission
was unknown, even if was a Microsoft program ie Device Manager etc, oh and
it didn't fix Windows Update either, it was still just as slow.

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

thxheynow

Re: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
Pretty awful but i ended up having to totally format and reinstall. I went
and got a update from a windows page that supposedly would fix all these
update errors.... it ended up that my pc saw no updates no matter what. All
is finally well with my pc and i have a beta version of onecare that is 64
bit vista compatible finally

"Rob" wrote:

> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have loaded all the critical/important and extra updates. No matter how
> > many times I download "Windows DreamScene," Windows Vista Update shows it
> > as
> > completed and then keeps showing it as not loaded each time I reboot the
> > PC.
> >
> > How do I fix this?
> >
> > On a side note: Are any of you as fristrated with updating Windows Vista
> > as
> > I am? It takes hours and sometimes days to load updates.

> Hi Lee,
>
> Also have Dell PC, also having same problems with Windows Dreamscene update
> KB933713 and funnily enough Microsoft Update takes an absolute age to
> complete.
>
> Just checking for Updates takes anywhere between 7 & 15 minutes
>
> If any updates are found then a further 10 ~20 minutes to download each one
> regardless of size
>
> A further 20~30 minutes to initialize and install each update again
> regardless of size
>
> The last lot of Language packs (about 12 I think) took a ridiculous 22 hours
> to download and install.
>
> I dual boot with XP (separate drive) and XP flies when updating so god knows
> what Vista is doing. Vista really lags when doing simple stuff like checking
> for updates, uninstalling updates, switching off Windows features. I would
> also be interested to know if anyone else has similar problems, but I
> suspect it has something to do with my particular installation. I considered
> doing a repair of Windows but unsure of procedure and if it'll fix Windows
> Update software. I tried installing the Windows Update Client but it
> affected UAC whereby it would complain that the program wanting permission
> was unknown, even if was a Microsoft program ie Device Manager etc, oh and
> it didn't fix Windows Update either, it was still just as slow.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.
>
> Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
> P4 3.0GHz
> 1GB RAM
> Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
> ATI Radeon 9800 XT
> Creative SB Audigy 2

Boheeber

RE: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
I'm having the same issue on 2 PCs running Vista Ultimate. I have probably
installed Dreamscene 10-15 times, but every time I reboot, Vista update wants
to install it again. Wish I knew what was causing this.

And yes, the last round of language updates took many hours to install.

"Boheeber" <Boheeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same issue on 2 PCs running Vista Ultimate. I have
> probably
> installed Dreamscene 10-15 times, but every time I reboot, Vista update
> wants
> to install it again. Wish I knew what was causing this.
>
> And yes, the last round of language updates took many hours to install.

Last time this happened to me I did this to solve it:

Basically if you already have Dreamscene installed then you'll have KB933713
installed plus
two others KB931133 & KB941236. You should find these by going to Control
Panel>Programs & Features and choose View installed updates (from left hand
screen). Locate and uninstall all 3 updates and then go back to Windows
Update site and download / install them again. Hopefully this should do the
trick.

Unfortunately this time around this isn't solving my problem so I've had to
hide the update for now.

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Boheeber

Re: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
I uninstalled the updates you listed. I also uninstalled KB929327, which was
called Dreamscene Preview. After they were all removed, Vista wanted a
restart. After rebooting, it took forever to configure the "downdate", and
almost as long to get Dreamscene reinstalled. But the upshot is--it worked,
so I thank you very much for the help.

Architect Mike

Re: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
I had the exact same problem, and it bothered me a bit.

Thanks for Rob and Boheeber.

I followed Rob's instructions, and it worked for me as well.

Great posting and help!

Dale Networkguy

Re: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
Glad it worked for you but the uninstall reinstall is a bust on my just
recently built Vista Ultimate machine (still in 30 day trial mode). Based on
the amount of threads covering this very topic I sure hope Microsoft steps up
and publishes a fix, a whitepaper, or whatever is needed to rectify this
component of Vista Ultimate. Also though my update of 933713 gets
"successfully" installed and then a reprompt to install soon appears, the
DreamScene FavPack 941236 never is offered.

Why is this an "Update" anyway? Shouldn't this be seperated from OS patches
entirely? I think mudding up the source location is a bad move as it lacks
differentiation from valuable software "extras" from the patches for flaws
and security issues to the OS.

"Architect Mike" wrote:

> I had the exact same problem, and it bothered me a bit.
>
> Thanks for Rob and Boheeber.
>
> I followed Rob's instructions, and it worked for me as well.
>
> Great posting and help!

prodia

RE: Windows Vista Update - Windows DreamScene
Same here and I want Microsoft to do the work, since this OS is so expensive
and is just NT 6 with a few tech upgrades and a facelift.

Patrick