Can not run windows update successfully

John

Can not run windows update successfully
Hi

Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is no
error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered after
a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried to
get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
and no noticeable speed problem.

What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?

Many Thanks

Regards

1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried this
many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all unknown add
ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and can browse the
internet but still no luck with Windows update.

2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.

3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out too.

4. Ran sfc /scannow.

5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred" and
"Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell much.

6. Tried re-register following dlls;

qmgr.dll
qmgrprxy.dll
wuaueng1.dll,
wucltui.dll
wuaueng.dll
wuapi.dll
jscript.dll
MSXML.DLL
MSXML2.DLL
MSXML3.DLL

7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web site;

AgentWindows, x86-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.

9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.

10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.

11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.

12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;

http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

john

Re: Can not run windows update successfully
You sound like you're in the same boat I am (and from the recent posts here,
so are a few others).
Now I'm wondering if one of the recent updates broke something...
Hmmm

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
> is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is
> no error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely
> at the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All
> the things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered
> after a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I
> tried to get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered
> that I can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine
> operation seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it
> no problem and no noticeable speed problem.
>
> What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> 1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
> 'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried
> this many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all
> unknown add ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and
> can browse the internet but still no luck with Windows update.
>
> 2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.
>
> 3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
> cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out
> too.
>
> 4. Ran sfc /scannow.
>
> 5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
> sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred"
> and "Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell
> much.
>
> 6. Tried re-register following dlls;
>
> qmgr.dll
> qmgrprxy.dll
> wuaueng1.dll,
> wucltui.dll
> wuaueng.dll
> wuapi.dll
> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> 7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web
> site;
>
> AgentWindows, x86-based systems
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> 8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
>
> 9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
>
> 10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
>
> 11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
>
> 12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;
>
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com

501c3help

RE: Can not run windows update successfully
Are you trying to get the updates from

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

or

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

My experience with XP clients behind SBS is that they can't get updates from
windowsupdate. You need to go to microsoftupdate

I'm not exactly sure what the difference but there is one.

More to the point, if you're running SBS 2003, then get and install Windows
Update Services. It's free and the absolutely best way to manage updates on
your network.

"John" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
> is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is no
> error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
> the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
> things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered after
> a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried to
> get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
> can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
> seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
> and no noticeable speed problem.
>
> What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> 1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
> 'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried this
> many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all unknown add
> ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and can browse the
> internet but still no luck with Windows update.
>
> 2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.
>
> 3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
> cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out too.
>
> 4. Ran sfc /scannow.
>
> 5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
> sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred" and
> "Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell much.
>
> 6. Tried re-register following dlls;
>
> qmgr.dll
> qmgrprxy.dll
> wuaueng1.dll,
> wucltui.dll
> wuaueng.dll
> wuapi.dll
> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> 7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web site;
>
> AgentWindows, x86-based systems
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> 8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
>
> 9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
>
> 10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
>
> 11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
>
> 12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;
>
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com

John Adams

John wrote:
> Hi
>
> Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
> is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is no
> error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
> the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
> things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered after
> a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried to
> get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
> can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
> seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
> and no noticeable speed problem.
>
> What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?

This may fix it but may not. I had the same issue once and contacted
Microsoft about it. Of course their first suspicion was that I was using
a pirated version of XP, which I wasn't. I looked into the issue myself
as Microsoft were of no help at all. Turned out it was because I had
recently switched to ADSL and my crappy ADSL modem needed a higher MTU
setting in the registry. All other websites worked fine except Microsoft
update. Once I had adjusted MTU to a higher value Microsoft update
worked perfectly. This site will tell you how to adjust the MTU setting.

http://www.dslreports.com/
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can not run windows update successfully
"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
> is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try.

Do you allow anonymous connections through ISA for WU?

> There is no
> error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
> the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
> things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered after
> a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried to
> get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
> can't get the updates.

Have you tried downloading them manually?
That would allow you to make the connection with your account
and thus avoid the above-mentioned requirement for anonymous
connections through ISA for WU.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
> seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
> and no noticeable speed problem.
>
> What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> 1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
> 'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried this
> many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all unknown add
> ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and can browse the
> internet but still no luck with Windows update.
>
> 2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.
>
> 3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
> cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out too.
>
> 4. Ran sfc /scannow.
>
> 5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
> sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred" and
> "Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell much.
>
> 6. Tried re-register following dlls;
>
> qmgr.dll
> qmgrprxy.dll
> wuaueng1.dll,
> wucltui.dll
> wuaueng.dll
> wuapi.dll
> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> 7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web site;
>
> AgentWindows, x86-based systems
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> 8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
>
> 9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
>
> 10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
>
> 11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
>
> 12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;
>
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com

PA Bear

Re: Can not run windows update successfully
Please don't begin ANY more new threads in IE General, SBS, or Windows
Update forums! Reinstalling IE6 will NOT help.
===================================
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

Support for Windows Update:

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s).

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

John wrote:
> Hi
>
> Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
> is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is
> no
> error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
> the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
> things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered
> after
> a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried
> get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
> can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
> seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
> and no noticeable speed problem.
>
> What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> 1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
> 'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried
> this
> many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all unknown
> add
> ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and can browse the
> internet but still no luck with Windows update.
>
> 2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.
>
> 3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
> cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out
> too.
>
> 4. Ran sfc /scannow.
>
> 5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
> sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred"
> and
> "Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell much.
>
> 6. Tried re-register following dlls;
>
> qmgr.dll
> qmgrprxy.dll
> wuaueng1.dll,
> wucltui.dll
> wuaueng.dll
> wuapi.dll
> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> 7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web
> site;
>
> AgentWindows, x86-based systems
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> 8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
>
> 9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
>
> 10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
>
> 11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
>
> 12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;
>
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Re: Can not run windows update successfully
Hi John,

ISA 2000???? Hurry and get the SBS 2003 SP1 cd update that has ISA 2004 on
it. You only have 2 months left to order it:

Last call for ordering SP1 cd with ISA 2004 > Small Business Server Support
Forum - English > Smallbizserver.Net:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Defaul...4&view= topic

--
Regards,

Marina Roos
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's
www.smallbizserver.net
Take part in SBS forum:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> [...]

> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> 7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web

site;

> AgentWindows, x86-based systems

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

> 8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
>
> 9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
>
> 10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
>
> 11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
>
> 12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;
>
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com

John

Re: Can not run windows update successfully
Thanks. Will try these.

Regards