Win xp pro client pc connected to sbs 2003 premium (isa 2000). The problem
is I can't get the windows update to work no matter what I try. There is no
error message but the green progress bar keeps on running indefinitely at
the 'Checking for the latest updates for your computer...' stage. All the
things I have tried are listed at the end. The problem was discovered after
a user found Outlook 2003 on the pc was not printing html emails. I tried to
get the latest updates to fix the printing problem and discovered that I
can't get the updates. Apart from problems mentioned, machine operation
seems quite healthy. I can login to it remotely and work on it no problem
and no noticeable speed problem.
What is the problem with windows update and how can I fix it?
1. Downloaded and installed IE7 but starting IE7 brings up the title
'Customise your settings' in the title bar but the page is blank. Tried this
many times along with resetting browser settings, disabling all unknown add
ins etc. no luck. Uninstalled IE7. Now I am back on IE6 and can browse the
internet but still no luck with Windows update.
2. Ran Ad-Aware, found a few spyware. Cleared.
3. Ran trend csms for smb client. A couple of Trojans were found and
cleared. These were in temp folder which when cleared, cleared them out too.
4. Ran sfc /scannow.
5. Tried to reinstall windows xp sp2 to see if it fixes anything but the
sp2 install after running for a while says "An internal error occurred" and
"Service Pack 2 installation did not complete" which does not tell much.
6. Tried re-register following dlls;
7. Downloaded and installed Windows Update Agent from following web site;
AgentWindows, x86-based systems
8. Cleared history, temp files, cookies and offline files in IE6.
9. Checked that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.
10. Checked that the Set Event Log service is running.
11. Recreated the SoftwareDistribution folder under %systemroot%.
12 Added the following sites to the IE6 Trusted Sites Zone;