Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
On Oct 20, 2:46 am, "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]"
<sbrad...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I couldn't deploy XP sp2 for months.
> I couldn't deploy XP rtm for months until my applications came up to speed.
>
> BSOD's or crashes are a sign of a third party driver problem.
>
> And Sir, if you think you can't get apps to run, I can't get my Mac Mini
> to print on two of the three printers at the office.
>
> Change is hard, we don't like it. But change takes time.
>
> If all we had were XP features we'd be complaining that it should have
> been a service pack.
>
> XP wasn't wonderful when it first came out.
> XP sp2 was a brick wall when it first came out.
>
> We have short memories in technology, don't we?

And you speak for an entire population of one. Vista is half baked. XP
ran fine from day one. I have a good memory. But don't believe me.
Just google: Vista "Class action lawsuit." The consensus agrees that
Vista sucks.

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
You can return Vista for a full refund to the address below:

RE: MICROSOFT PRODUCT RETURN
2031 Buroughs Ave.
San Leandro, CA 94577
(888) 673-8624

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
Windows Vista truly does suck hind tit, many say it's a downgrade from
XP. I say it's a downgrade from windows 98!

But don't take my word for it. Google around before you run out to buy
it. Those who plug Vista are either half crazy or lie or both, because
here's the statistical proof:

As of today, googling "VISTA ROCKS" gets 32,800 hits.
As of today, googling "VISTA SUCKS" gets 182,000 hits.

So there are nearly SIX TIMES more people complaining about Vista than
satisfied people (bear in mind that many of the "satisfied" people are
merely pumping Vista).

As of today, googling "VISTA ROCKS" in groups gets 116 hits.
As of today, googling "VISTA SUCKS" in groups gets 2150 hits.

You say more people use the term sucks than rocks? Ok, let's try this:

As of today, googling "VISTA RULES" in groups gets 41 hits.
As of today, googling "VISTA BLOWS" in groups gets 118 hits.
As of today, googling "VISTA STINKS" in groups gets 128 hits.

Nope.

I tried "VISTA IS GOOD" VS "VISTA IS BAD" and there were actually more
"VISTA IS GOOD" posters, HOWEVER, they can be snippets from unfinished
statements. ie "Vista is good for this or that, ..."

gilesrsmith

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
Apparently my product code is not valid for vista, so if i need to contact
vista support if is going to cost me £46, even though I have a valid copy of
vista home premium.

Anyway, all I want to know is for every benchmark test, and just general use
vista is around 68.5% as fast as windows xp?

That is the average figure I have managed to achieve through several tests.
I have been benchmarking vista against fedora 7 on hardware (aparently
designed for vista) Intel E6850 with 8Gb DDR2 RAM. Fedora 7 completed its
benchmarks on an average of 43.67% faster than windows vista. That is quite a
margin! Also for anyone that is interested, Windows XP completed the same
benchmarks 39.24% faster than vista.

What am I supposed to conclude from this other than vista is a complete
waste of money. On a software side, there isn't actually anything in vista
that can't be done in windows XP or Fedora 7 as far as I can see. Well
actually vista has some better tools for looking after your hard drive built
in, than XP. but that appears to be it!

Anyway. I would quite like my money back, I already have XP, and most Linux
Flavours are free. If I wanted to pay money I would have bought a MAC...

"steve" wrote:

> Windows Vista truly does suck hind tit, many say it's a downgrade from
> XP. I say it's a downgrade from windows 98!
>
> But don't take my word for it. Google around before you run out to buy
> it. Those who plug Vista are either half crazy or lie or both, because
> here's the statistical proof:
>
> As of today, googling "VISTA ROCKS" gets 32,800 hits.
> As of today, googling "VISTA SUCKS" gets 182,000 hits.
>
> So there are nearly SIX TIMES more people complaining about Vista than
> satisfied people (bear in mind that many of the "satisfied" people are
> merely pumping Vista).
>
> As of today, googling "VISTA ROCKS" in groups gets 116 hits.
> As of today, googling "VISTA SUCKS" in groups gets 2150 hits.
>
> You say more people use the term sucks than rocks? Ok, let's try this:
>
> As of today, googling "VISTA RULES" in groups gets 41 hits.
> As of today, googling "VISTA BLOWS" in groups gets 118 hits.
> As of today, googling "VISTA STINKS" in groups gets 128 hits.
>
> Nope.
>
> I tried "VISTA IS GOOD" VS "VISTA IS BAD" and there were actually more
> "VISTA IS GOOD" posters, HOWEVER, they can be snippets from unfinished
> statements. ie "Vista is good for this or that, ..."

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
On Oct 27, 6:23 pm, gilesrsmith
<gilesrsm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Apparently my product code is not valid for vista, so if i need to contact
> vista support if is going to cost me £46, even though I have a valid copy of
> vista home premium.

You mean the mighty MS team cannot even maintain a solid correct
product code?

> Anyway, all I want to know is for every benchmark test, and just general use
> vista is around 68.5% as fast as windows xp?

Bingo. Speed is just one issue. There's dozens of other problems.

> What am I supposed to conclude from this other than vista is a complete
> waste of money. On a software side, there isn't actually anything in vista
> that can't be done in windows XP or Fedora 7 as far as I can see. Well
> actually vista has some better tools for looking after your hard drive built
> in, than XP. but that appears to be it!
>
> Anyway. I would quite like my money back, I already have XP, and most Linux
> Flavours are free. If I wanted to pay money I would have bought a MAC...

Keep your IBM and return Vista for a full refund to the address
below:

RE: MICROSOFT PRODUCT RETURN
2031 Buroughs Ave.
San Leandro, CA 94577
(888) 673-8624

gilesrsmith

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
Bingo is the word!

there is only one reason I still use windows and that is Last.fm. I have a
love of knowing what music I playing and seeing as I just sold out Creative
and bought an Ipod Classic instead of a Creative Zen so I can scrobble what
I listen to through the day and at work (whilst web programming turns my
brain to mush) .

Another problem I am really having is gaming. I used to play Call of Duty
constantly, (on an AMD XP 2600+ 1Gb Ram) online, whilst I was at Uni several
years ago, with no problems at all. Playing now is really quite jumpy on what
is meant to be a far superior system (above) how is a game that was designed
for something around a first gen P4 or maybe even less so under performing?

Is there something I am missing? A setting I have wrong? If I am to have any
belief in Microsoft any more please tell me there is some magic setting I
have just got wrong. If there is could Vista be something I was promised?

"steve" wrote:

> On Oct 27, 6:23 pm, gilesrsmith
> <gilesrsm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Apparently my product code is not valid for vista, so if i need to contact
> > vista support if is going to cost me #46, even though I have a valid copy of
> > vista home premium.

> You mean the mighty MS team cannot even maintain a solid correct
> product code?
>
> > Anyway, all I want to know is for every benchmark test, and just general use
> > vista is around 68.5% as fast as windows xp?

> Bingo. Speed is just one issue. There's dozens of other problems.
>
> > What am I supposed to conclude from this other than vista is a complete
> > waste of money. On a software side, there isn't actually anything in vista
> > that can't be done in windows XP or Fedora 7 as far as I can see. Well
> > actually vista has some better tools for looking after your hard drive built
> > in, than XP. but that appears to be it!
> >
> > Anyway. I would quite like my money back, I already have XP, and most Linux
> > Flavours are free. If I wanted to pay money I would have bought a MAC...

> Keep your IBM and return Vista for a full refund to the address
> below:
>
> RE: MICROSOFT PRODUCT RETURN
> 2031 Buroughs Ave.
> San Leandro, CA 94577
> (888) 673-8624

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
On Oct 27, 7:19 pm, gilesrsmith
<gilesrsm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Bingo is the word!
>
> there is only one reason I still use windows and that is Last.fm. I have a
> love of knowing what music I playing and seeing as I just sold out Creative
> and bought an Ipod Classic instead of a Creative Zen so I can scrobble what
> I listen to through the day and at work (whilst web programming turns my
> brain to mush) .
>
> Another problem I am really having is gaming. I used to play Call of Duty
> constantly, (on an AMD XP 2600+ 1Gb Ram) online, whilst I was at Uni several
> years ago, with no problems at all. Playing now is really quite jumpy on what
> is meant to be a far superior system (above) how is a game that was designed
> for something around a first gen P4 or maybe even less so under performing?
>
> Is there something I am missing? A setting I have wrong? If I am to have any
> belief in Microsoft any more please tell me there is some magic setting I
> have just got wrong. If there is could Vista be something I was promised?

Apples work slightly better for graphics apps than IBM such as for
games, but don't completely write off MS. XP is still very robust and
most apps should continue to "sync" well with XP for the next several
years. Linux is awful at least last time I tried it. I'm holding onto
XP until MS gets all the kinks get worked out with a future "true"
upgrade from XP. Bearing in mind that MS took over two decades to iron
out most of the major bugs in its OS to reach the performance status
of XP, I don't expect a 50%+ improvement from XP anytime soon. I just
hope individual software companies continue to integrate with XP for
the next five to ten years.

GL, Steve

steve

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
What I've been waiting for for years is a quad, octa or hexadecimal
computer system to be made. The binary systems have reached their
potential and have been maxed out for years. Imagine just how much
more superior a 16-state computer will be over the two-state systems
of today! That day will truly be revolutionary. Things will run many
times faster, we're not talking 100% improvement in performance, but
10000% improvements. Such computers will also run cooler and will be
smaller and cheaper to make.
Optical instead of electrical computers will be amazing too. That day
isn't all that far away.

gilesrsmith

Re: OS: Windows XP is MUCH better than Windows Vista
I guess I was hoping for too much too soon, I wanted Vista to be simply an
advancement of XP. Just some fancy extras and some good solid perfomrance
increases. But to be honest I can understand what MS are looking for with
Vista. Eg the rework of the session levels, I can see they are looking for a
far more solid base to build a new OS out of than XP started with. Don't get
me wrong Vista has the potential to be an amazing OS and I can definately see
some vision behind what has been released so far.

I was just hoping that performance would be a lot better for the first
official release of Longhorn.

"steve" wrote:

> On Oct 27, 7:19 pm, gilesrsmith
> <gilesrsm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Bingo is the word!
> >
> > there is only one reason I still use windows and that is Last.fm. I have a
> > love of knowing what music I playing and seeing as I just sold out Creative
> > and bought an Ipod Classic instead of a Creative Zen so I can scrobble what
> > I listen to through the day and at work (whilst web programming turns my
> > brain to mush) .
> >
> > Another problem I am really having is gaming. I used to play Call of Duty
> > constantly, (on an AMD XP 2600+ 1Gb Ram) online, whilst I was at Uni several
> > years ago, with no problems at all. Playing now is really quite jumpy on what
> > is meant to be a far superior system (above) how is a game that was designed
> > for something around a first gen P4 or maybe even less so under performing?
> >
> > Is there something I am missing? A setting I have wrong? If I am to have any
> > belief in Microsoft any more please tell me there is some magic setting I
> > have just got wrong. If there is could Vista be something I was promised?

> Apples work slightly better for graphics apps than IBM such as for
> games, but don't completely write off MS. XP is still very robust and
> most apps should continue to "sync" well with XP for the next several
> years. Linux is awful at least last time I tried it. I'm holding onto
> XP until MS gets all the kinks get worked out with a future "true"
> upgrade from XP. Bearing in mind that MS took over two decades to iron
> out most of the major bugs in its OS to reach the performance status
> of XP, I don't expect a 50%+ improvement from XP anytime soon. I just
> hope individual software companies continue to integrate with XP for
> the next five to ten years.
>
> GL, Steve

gilesrsmith

"steve" wrote:

> What I've been waiting for for years is a quad, octa or hexadecimal
> computer system to be made. The binary systems have reached their
> potential and have been maxed out for years. Imagine just how much
> more superior a 16-state computer will be over the two-state systems
> of today! That day will truly be revolutionary. Things will run many
> times faster, we're not talking 100% improvement in performance, but
> 10000% improvements. Such computers will also run cooler and will be
> smaller and cheaper to make.
> Optical instead of electrical computers will be amazing too. That day
> isn't all that far away.

What about going biological, uncertainly in cellular processes allow the
potential for abstract thought within what can be classed as a "computer"
using techniques such as polymer elongation and ligation. What about a
processor that can think like a human?

one word: Potential

however I am sure this is probably far more relavent in a different thread!