Error 0x6D9E per SQL SP2

Erik Cameron

Error 0x6D9E per SQL SP2
Otek,

Try installing as uncompressed and as a separate file. This is a requirement, despite OS. I actually downgraded to XP (was on Vista Ultimate and just got tired of all the Windows Update errors, coming back once the bugs get fixed) and got the 0x6D9E myself; Windows, basically, wants this as 2 separate files, uncompressed, in 2 separate locations; I got the "better" (more detailed) error code once I re-installed it properly & did my "rinse & repeat" (see below) process to purge the Update cache. In the event you get the 80070002 or 80070003 (full error code looks like 0x80070003), be prepared to do the following (regular problem for me w/ Vista!)... and good luck:

0x80070002
0x80070003

1.) The first step is temporarily disabling Windows Automatic updates.
Start, Run, services.msc; In Vista, just click your Vista Pearl button and type Services.msc in the dialogue box. Right click the service Automatic Updates, click Stop in the services pane.

(Ignore/close any messages/popups your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Software may give you, my PC-Cillin is sensitive to service changes.)

2.) The second step is clearing DataStore. This couldn't be done w/out stopping
the process before-hand or else we'd get an error.

Go to Start, Run, %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
Double-click DataStore and delete all contents.

*This is the same path as going into your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder. Frequently, Windows Update errors are cured by clearing, alternatively, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (deleting the entire folder).

Start, run, services.msc
right-click the service Automatic Updates. Click Start.

Restart your computer and attempt to reinstall SQL Service Pack 2.

I hope this helps!

Erik
CSI.CrimeSceneInvestigation

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Big Rich

RE: Error 0x6D9E per SQL SP2
I, too, am having same problem with SQL update, Have tried all
recommendations and am still having same problem...will not install...what is
next step in conquering this dilemma? Anyone have any ideas?
--
IT Spe******ts, Vista Research

"Erik Cameron" wrote:

> Otek,
>
> Try installing as uncompressed and as a separate file. This is a requirement, despite OS. I actually downgraded to XP (was on Vista Ultimate and just got tired of all the Windows Update errors, coming back once the bugs get fixed) and got the 0x6D9E myself; Windows, basically, wants this as 2 separate files, uncompressed, in 2 separate locations; I got the "better" (more detailed) error code once I re-installed it properly & did my "rinse & repeat" (see below) process to purge the Update cache. In the event you get the 80070002 or 80070003 (full error code looks like 0x80070003), be prepared to do the following (regular problem for me w/ Vista!)... and good luck:
>
> 0x80070002
> 0x80070003
>
> 1.) The first step is temporarily disabling Windows Automatic updates.
> Start, Run, services.msc; In Vista, just click your Vista Pearl button and type Services.msc in the dialogue box. Right click the service Automatic Updates, click Stop in the services pane.
>
> (Ignore/close any messages/popups your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Software may give you, my PC-Cillin is sensitive to service changes.)
>

> 2.) The second step is clearing DataStore. This couldn't be done w/out stopping
> the process before-hand or else we'd get an error.
>
> Go to Start, Run, %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
> Double-click DataStore and delete all contents.
>
> *This is the same path as going into your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder. Frequently, Windows Update errors are cured by clearing, alternatively, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (deleting the entire folder).

> Start, run, services.msc
> right-click the service Automatic Updates. Click Start.
>
> Restart your computer and attempt to reinstall SQL Service Pack 2.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Erik
> CSI.CrimeSceneInvestigation
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Diana

Re: Error 0x6D9E per SQL SP2
Hello,

Please call 1-800-936-4900 and open a case and ask to be routed to the
SQL-Public Team.

There is no charge for this case as it has to do with a Security Buletin.

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

"Big Rich" <BigRich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I, too, am having same problem with SQL update, Have tried all
> recommendations and am still having same problem...will not install...what
> is
> next step in conquering this dilemma? Anyone have any ideas?
> --
> IT Spe******ts, Vista Research
>

> "Erik Cameron" wrote:
>
>> Otek,
>>
>> Try installing as uncompressed and as a separate file. This is a
>> requirement, despite OS. I actually downgraded to XP (was on Vista
>> Ultimate and just got tired of all the Windows Update errors, coming back
>> once the bugs get fixed) and got the 0x6D9E myself; Windows, basically,
>> wants this as 2 separate files, uncompressed, in 2 separate locations; I
>> got the "better" (more detailed) error code once I re-installed it
>> properly & did my "rinse & repeat" (see below) process to purge the
>> Update cache. In the event you get the 80070002 or 80070003 (full error
>> code looks like 0x80070003), be prepared to do the following (regular
>> problem for me w/ Vista!)... and good luck:
>>
>> 0x80070002
>> 0x80070003
>>
>> 1.) The first step is temporarily disabling Windows Automatic updates.
>> Start, Run, services.msc; In Vista, just click your Vista Pearl button
>> and type Services.msc in the dialogue box. Right click the service
>> Automatic Updates, click Stop in the services pane.
>>
>> (Ignore/close any messages/popups your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Software
>> may give you, my PC-Cillin is sensitive to service changes.)
>>

>> 2.) The second step is clearing DataStore. This couldn't be done w/out
>> stopping
>> the process before-hand or else we'd get an error.
>>
>> Go to Start, Run, %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
>> Double-click DataStore and delete all contents.
>>
>> *This is the same path as going into your
>> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder. Frequently, Windows
>> Update errors are cured by clearing, alternatively,
>> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (deleting the entire folder).

>> started-up again.
>>
>> Start, run, services.msc
>> right-click the service Automatic Updates. Click Start.
>>
>> Restart your computer and attempt to reinstall SQL Service Pack 2.
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> Erik
>> CSI.CrimeSceneInvestigation
>>
>> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Diana

Re: Error 0x6D9E per SQL SP2
Hello,

When you call please let them know that this has to do with Security
Bulletin MS08-040.

If they try to charge you, please let them know that there is free support
for any issues with Security Updates.

Diana

"Diana " <diasmith@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Please call 1-800-936-4900 and open a case and ask to be routed to the
> SQL-Public Team.
>
> There is no charge for this case as it has to do with a Security Buletin.
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team

> rights.
>

> "Big Rich" <BigRich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I, too, am having same problem with SQL update, Have tried all
>> recommendations and am still having same problem...will not
>> install...what is
>> next step in conquering this dilemma? Anyone have any ideas?
>> --
>> IT Spe******ts, Vista Research
>>

>> "Erik Cameron" wrote:
>>
>>> Otek,
>>>
>>> Try installing as uncompressed and as a separate file. This is a
>>> requirement, despite OS. I actually downgraded to XP (was on Vista
>>> Ultimate and just got tired of all the Windows Update errors, coming
>>> back once the bugs get fixed) and got the 0x6D9E myself; Windows,
>>> basically, wants this as 2 separate files, uncompressed, in 2 separate
>>> locations; I got the "better" (more detailed) error code once I
>>> re-installed it properly & did my "rinse & repeat" (see below) process
>>> to purge the Update cache. In the event you get the 80070002 or
>>> 80070003 (full error code looks like 0x80070003), be prepared to do the
>>> following (regular problem for me w/ Vista!)... and good luck:
>>>
>>> 0x80070002
>>> 0x80070003
>>>
>>> 1.) The first step is temporarily disabling Windows Automatic updates.
>>> Start, Run, services.msc; In Vista, just click your Vista Pearl button
>>> and type Services.msc in the dialogue box. Right click the service
>>> Automatic Updates, click Stop in the services pane.
>>>
>>> (Ignore/close any messages/popups your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Software
>>> may give you, my PC-Cillin is sensitive to service changes.)
>>>

>>> 2.) The second step is clearing DataStore. This couldn't be done w/out
>>> stopping
>>> the process before-hand or else we'd get an error.
>>>
>>> Go to Start, Run, %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
>>> Double-click DataStore and delete all contents.
>>>
>>> *This is the same path as going into your
>>> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder. Frequently, Windows
>>> Update errors are cured by clearing, alternatively,
>>> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (deleting the entire folder).

>>> started-up again.
>>>
>>> Start, run, services.msc
>>> right-click the service Automatic Updates. Click Start.
>>>
>>> Restart your computer and attempt to reinstall SQL Service Pack 2.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps!
>>>
>>> Erik
>>> CSI.CrimeSceneInvestigation
>>>
>>> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

nikos Papadakis

SQL SP2 error 6d9e
The installation of the security cumulative update of SQL service pack 2 proceed fine once I removed the compression from the folders C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.

I read the installation log and saw that the fix required that the folder was not in a encrypted or Compressed directory.
Damelo

RE: SQL SP2 error 6d9e
Your answer worked for me!