Malicious Software Removal Tool

NJITGS

Malicious Software Removal Tool
Greetings All!

Can anyone tell me why when after downloading the latest release of the MRT
(Windows-KB890830-x64-V1.34) I get an Extraction Failed message stating
"mrtstup.exe is not a valid Win32 apllication."?

Several attempts were made to redownload it and install it with the same
message reoccuring.

Seasons best!

Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff

Engel

RE: Malicious Software Removal Tool
0x800700C1

-2147024703 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT is not a valid Win32 application

That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.

Get a fresh copy.
-

"NJITGS" wrote:

> Greetings All!
>
> Can anyone tell me why when after downloading the latest release of the MRT
> (Windows-KB890830-x64-V1.34) I get an Extraction Failed message stating
> "mrtstup.exe is not a valid Win32 apllication."?
>
> Several attempts were made to redownload it and install it with the same
> message reoccuring.
>
> Seasons best!
>
> Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff

antioch

"NJITGS" <njitgs@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Greetings All!
>
> Can anyone tell me why when after downloading the latest release of the
> MRT (Windows-KB890830-x64-V1.34) I get an Extraction Failed message
> stating "mrtstup.exe is not a valid Win32 apllication."?
>
> Several attempts were made to redownload it and install it with the same
> message reoccuring.
>
> Seasons best!
>
> Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff

From where are you getting the download? Is it from those updates as
offered via 1. the yellow shield or from 2. WU Home? Or from here 3. -

I would favour 3. - delete the old version first, which I assume sits on
your desktop - DL from the above link(again I assume you require the x64 and
not x32) and save to desktop.
It is a self extracting cabinet(don't ask what that means)and does not
require 'installing' - i.e. you do not see it in Add/Remove as other
updates.
Just leave it on the desktop ready to double click and run when you want to
use it.
The above is not a solution to your problem - just another method to get it
to download - if that works then of course it is a solution. Worth a try.
Good luck

Antioch

NJITGS

Re: Malicious Software Removal Tool
Actually last night when my Windows Download Notification email came I
clicked the link in it to the DL and it was the yellow sheild that you
mention (#1). Normally when I download it's from the location you indicate
as #3, at any rate a little while later, after having posted this topic my
Automatic Updater also indicated to me that it was available for download so
I proceeded to and from what I understand when downloading it from the AU it
automatically runs in the background at the next shut down and thus far
there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. If else fails, I will use the
link you replied with to DL and install it from that location!

Thank you so much for your help!

BTW- Why do you suppose that I was not able to DL it from the yellow
sheild? -I have a legitamate verifiable version of XP MCE.

EB-W