Vista Update Error Code 57A WindowsUpdate_0000057A WindowsUpdate_d

GodzFire

Vista Update Error Code 57A WindowsUpdate_0000057A WindowsUpdate_d
I keep getting 3 failed updates no matter how many times I try to install
them or by whatever means I use to install. They are:

Update for Outlook 2003 Junk EMail Filter (KB936677)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)

Each error detail comes back with a Code 57A
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Vista Update Error Code 57A WindowsUpdate_0000057A WindowsUpdate_d
"GodzFire" <GodzFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting 3 failed updates no matter how many times I try to install
> them or by whatever means I use to install. They are:
>
> Update for Outlook 2003 Junk EMail Filter (KB936677)
> Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)
> Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)
>
> Each error detail comes back with a Code 57A

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c = 0x57A
1402
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

Invalid cursor handle.
</cmd_output>

So does Vista show the same message for net helpmsg 1402

Perhaps you should try avoiding the mouse of your mouse for this update?
Or, if you're using a multi-monitor configuration try switching to just one? <EG>

---

GodzFire

Re: Vista Update Error Code 57A WindowsUpdate_0000057A WindowsUpda
I have NO idea what you are talking about

>I have NO idea what you are talking about

>> So does Vista show the same message for net helpmsg 1402

Open a cmd window. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter cmd.exe

In the cmd window's command line enter: net helpmsg 1402

What do you see?

>> Perhaps you should try avoiding the mouse of your mouse for this update?

Sorry that contains a typo. I meant to write:

>> Perhaps you should try avoiding the pointer of your mouse for this update?

For example, the message I see (on XP) refers to "cursor".
FYI the pointer of your mouse is also known as a "cursor"

>> Or, if you're using a multi-monitor configuration try switching to just one?

If you use more than one monitor or more than one pointing device
you could have an unusual case involving "cursor". Simplifying those
cases by reducing the number of display areas and pointing devices
to one (e.g. a standard hardware configuration) would be a good way
of testing if a more complex configuration was causing your symptoms.

BTW since all your problem updates seem to involve Office
I could have suggested you try the Office Updates newsgroup instead.

Hmm... in that case it's possible that the meaning of the 1402
will be something other than what your OS usually thinks it means:

<title>Error message when you start Word: &quot;Error 1402.
Speech recognition files can't install files due to installer 1450.&quot;</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912256

(Live Search for
(57A OR 0x057A OR 1402) office update site:microsoft.com
)

Hint: look for details in the logs that the updates are creating.
You can use the hex code or its decimal equivalent to search for its context.
Speculation is fun but less effective for problem-solving than systematic
logical inference but to do the latter you need FACTS.
So far all you have given us is a code, so I was showing you how you
could find a possible meaning for the code and from those details
then try to infer why that code might have been issued.

HTH

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>> <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
>> F:\>set /a c = 0x57A
>> 1402
>> F:\>net helpmsg %c%
>>
>> Invalid cursor handle.
>> </cmd_output>
>>

>> So does Vista show the same message for net helpmsg 1402
>>
>> Perhaps you should try avoiding the mouse of your mouse for this update?
>> Or, if you're using a multi-monitor configuration try switching to just one? <EG>

Frank

Re: Vista Update Error Code 57A WindowsUpdate_0000057A WindowsUpda
Yes, Vista shows the same message. I get the same error, by the way.