Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.

John Georg

Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
Windows Vista Premium stopped searching for or downloading Windows
Updates in late August this year. The error code 80070005 is
presented. After reading many of the postings in this newsgroup, I am
uncertain what the real repair for this problem is. I'd appreciate a
very clear response as I am a senior citizen attempting to update the
Vista Premium software.
Thanks for your help.
Jgeorg
TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
One of the most common causes of this error code (Access Denied) is the Anti Virus and
Anti Spyware software programs running on the computer.
You can try turning them off and then try the updates again. Keep the firewall on though
or start a free Windows Update support incident request:

====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"John Georg" <jgeorg@cox.net> wrote in message
| Windows Vista Premium stopped searching for or downloading Windows
| Updates in late August this year. The error code 80070005 is
| presented. After reading many of the postings in this newsgroup, I am
| uncertain what the real repair for this problem is. I'd appreciate a
| very clear response as I am a senior citizen attempting to update the
| Vista Premium software.
| Thanks for your help.
| Jgeorg

stossmann

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.

I IMed HP Tech Support. . . Here is the solution, it's relatively
simple and more importantly, it works!

1. Disable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on "Windows Update"
g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
2. Rename Software Distribution folder
a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
3. Enable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on windows update
g. Click on start
If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
steps before #2 above.
1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
2. Click Tools
3. Select Folder Options
4. Select the View tab
5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
7. Click OK

Restart your PC and you should be good to go!

--
stossmann

Gharib

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
I had this problem. After a lot of searching, the problem was solved when
disabled Spyware Doctor.

TonyC

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
I tried this and it didn't help, so I intiated a free support request on
Thursday 7/17 at about 1130. No response yet. Maybe I should change to an
Apple Notebook? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit...
--
The BC Gang

"stossmann" wrote:

> I IMed HP Tech Support. . . Here is the solution, it's relatively
> simple and more importantly, it works!
>
> 1. Disable Windows Update
> a. Click on start
> b. Click on all programs
> c. Click on accessories
> d. Click on Run
> e. Type services.msc and press ok
> f. Right click on "Windows Update"
> g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
> 2. Rename Software Distribution folder
> a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
> b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
> c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
> d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
> 3. Enable Windows Update
> a. Click on start
> b. Click on all programs
> c. Click on accessories
> d. Click on Run
> e. Type services.msc and press ok
> f. Right click on windows update
> g. Click on start
> If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
> steps before #2 above.
> 1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
> 2. Click Tools
> 3. Select Folder Options
> 4. Select the View tab
> 5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
> 6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
> 7. Click OK
>
> Restart your PC and you should be good to go!
>

> --
> stossmann

Morten R. A.

"TonyC" wrote:

> I tried this and it didn't help, so I intiated a free support request on
> Thursday 7/17 at about 1130. No response yet. Maybe I should change to an
> Apple Notebook? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit...
> --
> The BC Gang
>

> "stossmann" wrote:
>

> > I IMed HP Tech Support. . . Here is the solution, it's relatively
> > simple and more importantly, it works!
> >
> > 1. Disable Windows Update
> > a. Click on start
> > b. Click on all programs
> > c. Click on accessories
> > d. Click on Run
> > e. Type services.msc and press ok
> > f. Right click on "Windows Update"
> > g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
> > 2. Rename Software Distribution folder
> > a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
> > b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
> > c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
> > d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
> > 3. Enable Windows Update
> > a. Click on start
> > b. Click on all programs
> > c. Click on accessories
> > d. Click on Run
> > e. Type services.msc and press ok
> > f. Right click on windows update
> > g. Click on start
> > If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
> > steps before #2 above.
> > 1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
> > 2. Click Tools
> > 3. Select Folder Options
> > 4. Select the View tab
> > 5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
> > 6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
> > 7. Click OK
> >
> > Restart your PC and you should be good to go!
> >

> > --
> > stossmann
> >
> > The only solution I got, was to add Windows Update in the list of exceptions in the Windows Firewall. You can find Windows update in "Windows/System32/Wuapp.exe". Browse it and add it to the list of exceptions in the Win. Firewall list.

It worked for me!
Rick

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
This is just what my PC needed. I tried all kinds of things with registry
and file permissions, but this worked. Thanks!!!

"stossmann" wrote:

> I IMed HP Tech Support. . . Here is the solution, it's relatively
> simple and more importantly, it works!
>
> 1. Disable Windows Update
> a. Click on start
> b. Click on all programs
> c. Click on accessories
> d. Click on Run
> e. Type services.msc and press ok
> f. Right click on "Windows Update"
> g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
> 2. Rename Software Distribution folder
> a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
> b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
> c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
> d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
> 3. Enable Windows Update
> a. Click on start
> b. Click on all programs
> c. Click on accessories
> d. Click on Run
> e. Type services.msc and press ok
> f. Right click on windows update
> g. Click on start
> If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
> steps before #2 above.
> 1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
> 2. Click Tools
> 3. Select Folder Options
> 4. Select the View tab
> 5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
> 6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
> 7. Click OK
>
> Restart your PC and you should be good to go!
>

> --
> stossmann

eggie08

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
I tried sent support incident request, waiting for response, will let you
know, thanks!

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> One of the most common causes of this error code (Access Denied) is the Anti Virus and
> Anti Spyware software programs running on the computer.
> You can try turning them off and then try the updates again. Keep the firewall on though
> or start a free Windows Update support incident request:

> ====================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

> "John Georg" <jgeorg@cox.net> wrote in message
> | Windows Vista Premium stopped searching for or downloading Windows
> | Updates in late August this year. The error code 80070005 is
> | presented. After reading many of the postings in this newsgroup, I am
> | uncertain what the real repair for this problem is. I'd appreciate a
> | very clear response as I am a senior citizen attempting to update the
> | Vista Premium software.
> | Thanks for your help.
> | Jgeorg

bhollywood is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
I am with TaurArian [MS-MVP] on this one,

after many hours of searching and reading threads from 2007 to the present, I was skeptical about most fixes (some worked for some, others didn't). Then I tried turning off my anti-virus software (ZoneAlarms) and went back into Windows Updater (where it previously said 'update failed' and had the error code) and clicked on update or try again or something and it worked. I did whatever updates previously failed and turned Anti-virus back on.

Anti-virus software has caused problems for me in the past (from browsers to windows applications) So when the suggestion to turn it off was said, i thought gees I'll try it, and boom it worked.

I'm happy it worked, but I can never get back the time I lost...
kbkatz

Re: Error code 80070005 Windows Update for Vista Premium.
I had the same error (problem), rectified it by turning off Mcaffee Virus scan.