Cannot install Internet Information Services

rmcompute

Cannot install Internet Information Services
I went into Add/Remove Windows components and checked Internet Information
Services. It began to load and then told me to insert the Windows 2000 CD
ROM disk looking for D:\i386. I no longer have this CD. I installed all the
latest Microsoft updates but it still is looking for the CD. Are there any
options or do I have to purchase Windows 2000 again?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Cannot install Internet Information Services
rmcompute wrote:
> I went into Add/Remove Windows components and checked Internet
> Information Services. It began to load and then told me to insert
> the Windows 2000 CD ROM disk looking for D:\i386. I no longer have
> this CD. I installed all the latest Microsoft updates but it still
> is looking for the CD. Are there any options or do I have to
> purchase Windows 2000 again?

What happened to your CD from *long ago*?

If you can find a friend/relative/IT professional with an old copy of the CD
lying aroundf - ask them for a copy.
It's not the CD that's important/special - it's the product key - so they
should have no problem giving you a copy of the CD.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

rmcompute

Re: Cannot install Internet Information Services
I purchased the CD from my old company before I left and, it came without the
CD. Will I be asked to enter a product key in this installation?

rmcompute wrote:
> I purchased the CD from my old company before I left and, it came
> without the CD. Will I be asked to enter a product key in this
> installation?

I think you have a mis-type in there. If you purchased the CD - how did it
come without the CD? *grin*

In any case - when you got the system with Windows 2000 on it from your old
company - they should have given you the software for it (and/or you should
have asked for it.) Why? I think you know now.

It *may* ask for the key - but since all you is trying to insert the CD to
install something onto the already working system - I doubt it. You just
need the CD. All Windows 2000 Professional CDs (default - non-modified -
dependent on whichg service pack is slipstreamed into it) are the same - it
is the unique product key you need for fresh installs/etc. That key may be
on a sticker on the computer even. However - you are attempting to add a
component. It needs the CD to install said component. Any Windows 2000
Professional CD will likely do fine. Thus my suggestion.

Want the key used to install the current working copy (and you don't have
the sticker I referred to?) Try Belarc Advisor to get that and more...
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

rmcompute

Re: Cannot install Internet Information Services
Thank you. I will give it a try.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> rmcompute wrote:
> > I went into Add/Remove Windows components and checked Internet
> > Information Services. It began to load and then told me to insert
> > the Windows 2000 CD ROM disk looking for D:\i386. I no longer
> > have this CD. I installed all the latest Microsoft updates but
> > it still is looking for the CD. Are there any options or do I
> > have to purchase Windows 2000 again?

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > What happened to your CD from *long ago*?
> >
> > If you can find a friend/relative/IT professional with an old copy
> > of the CD lying aroundf - ask them for a copy.
> > It's not the CD that's important/special - it's the product key -
> > so they should have no problem giving you a copy of the CD.

> rmcompute wrote:
> > I purchased the CD from my old company before I left and, it came
> > without the CD. Will I be asked to enter a product key in this
> > installation?

> I think you have a mis-type in there. If you purchased the CD - how did it
> come without the CD? *grin*
>
> In any case - when you got the system with Windows 2000 on it from your old
> company - they should have given you the software for it (and/or you should
> have asked for it.) Why? I think you know now.
>
> It *may* ask for the key - but since all you is trying to insert the CD to
> install something onto the already working system - I doubt it. You just
> need the CD. All Windows 2000 Professional CDs (default - non-modified -
> dependent on whichg service pack is slipstreamed into it) are the same - it
> is the unique product key you need for fresh installs/etc. That key may be
> on a sticker on the computer even. However - you are attempting to add a
> component. It needs the CD to install said component. Any Windows 2000
> Professional CD will likely do fine. Thus my suggestion.
>
> Want the key used to install the current working copy (and you don't have
> the sticker I referred to?) Try Belarc Advisor to get that and more...
> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

rmcompute

Re: Cannot install Internet Information Services
Thank you.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> rmcompute wrote:
> > I went into Add/Remove Windows components and checked Internet
> > Information Services. It began to load and then told me to insert
> > the Windows 2000 CD ROM disk looking for D:\i386. I no longer
> > have this CD. I installed all the latest Microsoft updates but
> > it still is looking for the CD. Are there any options or do I
> > have to purchase Windows 2000 again?

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > What happened to your CD from *long ago*?
> >
> > If you can find a friend/relative/IT professional with an old copy
> > of the CD lying aroundf - ask them for a copy.
> > It's not the CD that's important/special - it's the product key -
> > so they should have no problem giving you a copy of the CD.

> rmcompute wrote:
> > I purchased the CD from my old company before I left and, it came
> > without the CD. Will I be asked to enter a product key in this
> > installation?

> I think you have a mis-type in there. If you purchased the CD - how did it
> come without the CD? *grin*
>
> In any case - when you got the system with Windows 2000 on it from your old
> company - they should have given you the software for it (and/or you should
> have asked for it.) Why? I think you know now.
>
> It *may* ask for the key - but since all you is trying to insert the CD to
> install something onto the already working system - I doubt it. You just
> need the CD. All Windows 2000 Professional CDs (default - non-modified -
> dependent on whichg service pack is slipstreamed into it) are the same - it
> is the unique product key you need for fresh installs/etc. That key may be
> on a sticker on the computer even. However - you are attempting to add a
> component. It needs the CD to install said component. Any Windows 2000
> Professional CD will likely do fine. Thus my suggestion.
>
> Want the key used to install the current working copy (and you don't have
> the sticker I referred to?) Try Belarc Advisor to get that and more...
> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP