Re: WSUS 2.0 Computer Status

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WSUS 2.0 Computer Status
Kirrin Jones wrote:

> I have just noticed in my WSUS server that it is showing some of my
> computers as not being updated for xxx days even computers I know have
> just been updated.

There is always some delay between when the WSUS server receives a report from a
client and when the report is processed and included in the data presented by
the WSUS server to you. Apparently this process runs with a low priority in
order to ensure WSUS doesn't use up too much of the server's resources.

My experience would suggest the information should update within an hour or so,
if it is taking longer than this there may be another problem. Mind you I only
have a few hundred machines, so it may take longer with a bigger installation.

> Is there a way to force the server to update itself and the true status
> of the machines reporting to it?

Unfortunately, no.

> I have placed the wuauclt /detectnow command in my domain login script
> so I know that all the machines are at least once a day reporting to the
> server.

Not necessary; detections run every 22 hours and the client will always report
if there is anything to be reported. In fact redundant reports may well slow
down the server's response to new information.

Harry.
Kirrin Jones

Re: WSUS 2.0 Computer Status
Thanks Harry,

Information was informative and I got what I was looking for. I
understand the reporting should take about an hour, but I have machines
that say they have not reported in over 30+ days. I'm thinking that I
will remove the wuauclt /detectnow from my logon script for awhile and
see what happens.

Thanks.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Kirrin Jones wrote:
>
>> I have just noticed in my WSUS server that it is showing some of my
>> computers as not being updated for xxx days even computers I know have
>> just been updated.

> There is always some delay between when the WSUS server receives a
> report from a client and when the report is processed and included in
> the data presented by the WSUS server to you. Apparently this process
> runs with a low priority in order to ensure WSUS doesn't use up too much
> of the server's resources.
>
> My experience would suggest the information should update within an hour
> or so, if it is taking longer than this there may be another problem.
> Mind you I only have a few hundred machines, so it may take longer with
> a bigger installation.
>
>> Is there a way to force the server to update itself and the true
>> status of the machines reporting to it?

> Unfortunately, no.
>
>> I have placed the wuauclt /detectnow command in my domain login script
>> so I know that all the machines are at least once a day reporting to
>> the server.

> Not necessary; detections run every 22 hours and the client will always
> report if there is anything to be reported. In fact redundant reports
> may well slow down the server's response to new information.
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WSUS 2.0 Computer Status
Kirrin Jones wrote:

> Information was informative and I got what I was looking for. I
> understand the reporting should take about an hour, but I have machines
> that say they have not reported in over 30+ days.

That's unlikely to be a processing delay!

Check WindowsUpdate.log on the clients for errors. Check for duplicate machine
entries in WSUS - you may be looking at one entry while the machine is updating
a different one. You may also want to doublecheck that the machines are
reporting to the correct WSUS server. :-)

Harry.
Kirrin Jones

Re: WSUS 2.0 Computer Status
Harry,

I did find duplicate records, mostly from my laptop users who are
connected both to the wireless network and the cable network at the same
time, I have since taken away their cables and cleaned up the
duplication, so I will see how that goes.