Stuck in Windows Update

jim giglio

Stuck in Windows Update
In March of 2006, "Tempest" had the same problem I'm experiencing:

it says "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." and the
little progress bar with the green boxes keep sliding back and forth

This is a common problem, and there are lots of answers out there that don't
work and that make about as much sense as some witch doctor's magical
incantations. Can ANYBODY come up with a solution the DOES work and that
makes sense?

My email is jcgiglio@att.net
In March of 2006, "Tempest" had the same problem I'm expriencing:

it says "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." and the
little progress bar with the green boxes keep sliding back and forth

This is a common problem, and there are lots of answers out there that don't
work and that make about as much sense as some witch doctor's magical
incantations. Can ANYBODY come up with a solution the DOES work and that
makes sense?

My email is jcgiglio@att.net

Shenan Stanley

Re: Stuck in Windows Update
jim giglio wrote:
> In March of 2006, "Tempest" had the same problem I'm experiencing:
>
> it says "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." and
> the little progress bar with the green boxes keep sliding back and
> forth
>
> This is a common problem, and there are lots of answers out there
> that don't work and that make about as much sense as some witch
> doctor's magical incantations. Can ANYBODY come up with a solution
> the DOES work and that makes sense?
>
> My email is xxx@xxx.xxx
> In March of 2006, "Tempest" had the same problem I'm expriencing:
>
> it says "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." and
> the little progress bar with the green boxes keep sliding back and
> forth
>
> This is a common problem, and there are lots of answers out there
> that don't work and that make about as much sense as some witch
> doctor's magical incantations. Can ANYBODY come up with a solution
> the DOES work and that makes sense?
>
> My email is xxx@xxx.xxx

Double-posted in the same post. Neat.

Also - it is better that you do not use your real email address. Expect
SPAM.

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Doesn't help?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP