RE: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649

BuzzLightyear

RE: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649
It seems that microsoft has released a version 2 of the update, as you can se
here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649/en-us

"Known issue
Note This package has been updated to version 2. An issue was identified in
which certain computers that have specific combinations of older AHCI USB
chipsets and CD or DVD drives that use the SerialATA interconnection bus may
not start after the installation of the original version of this package.
Version 2 of this package has removed the fix that caused this problem. If
you are using a computer that experienced this issue, you can restart the
computer by using a bootable Windows Vista DVD and by selecting the
Repair/System Recovery options. If your computer has already installed the
original version of this update and has successfully restarted, you do not
have to install version 2 of this update."

I'm trying to install. ll'see if it works
jujoos

RE: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649
How did you get on with the install of version 2 KB941649? I had problems
with the version 1 and managed to sort it with system restore. Now it's
coming up with Windows Update and I'm reluctant to install it, just wondered
if you'd done it with no problems.

"BuzzLightyear" wrote:

> It seems that microsoft has released a version 2 of the update, as you can se
> here:
>
> "Known issue
> Note This package has been updated to version 2. An issue was identified in
> which certain computers that have specific combinations of older AHCI USB
> chipsets and CD or DVD drives that use the SerialATA interconnection bus may
> not start after the installation of the original version of this package.
> Version 2 of this package has removed the fix that caused this problem. If
> you are using a computer that experienced this issue, you can restart the
> computer by using a bootable Windows Vista DVD and by selecting the
> Repair/System Recovery options. If your computer has already installed the
> original version of this update and has successfully restarted, you do not
> have to install version 2 of this update."
>
> I'm trying to install. ll'see if it works

BuzzLightyear

RE: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649
Tried it.
No problem.

"jujoos" wrote:

> How did you get on with the install of version 2 KB941649? I had problems
> with the version 1 and managed to sort it with system restore. Now it's
> coming up with Windows Update and I'm reluctant to install it, just wondered
> if you'd done it with no problems.
>
> "BuzzLightyear" wrote:
>
> > It seems that microsoft has released a version 2 of the update, as you can se
> > here:
> >
> > "Known issue
> > Note This package has been updated to version 2. An issue was identified in
> > which certain computers that have specific combinations of older AHCI USB
> > chipsets and CD or DVD drives that use the SerialATA interconnection bus may
> > not start after the installation of the original version of this package.
> > Version 2 of this package has removed the fix that caused this problem. If
> > you are using a computer that experienced this issue, you can restart the
> > computer by using a bootable Windows Vista DVD and by selecting the
> > Repair/System Recovery options. If your computer has already installed the
> > original version of this update and has successfully restarted, you do not
> > have to install version 2 of this update."
> >
> > I'm trying to install. ll'see if it works

donedeal

RE: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649
I just performed a windows update on my 32bit Vista Ultimate today and I'm
experiencing the same problem. I replaced my faulty IDE dvd writer with a
new SATA one and performed a windows update and this happened. Is windows
update still using version 1?

OR is version 2 also having the same problems?

I don't believe how careless MS is in releasing these hot fixes. Installing
MS recommended hotfixes can kill your rig ..... this is total BS!!

"BuzzLightyear" wrote:

> Tried it.
> No problem.
>
> "jujoos" wrote:
>
> > How did you get on with the install of version 2 KB941649? I had problems
> > with the version 1 and managed to sort it with system restore. Now it's
> > coming up with Windows Update and I'm reluctant to install it, just wondered
> > if you'd done it with no problems.
> >
> > "BuzzLightyear" wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that microsoft has released a version 2 of the update, as you can se
> > > here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649/en-us
> > >
> > > "Known issue
> > > Note This package has been updated to version 2. An issue was identified in
> > > which certain computers that have specific combinations of older AHCI USB
> > > chipsets and CD or DVD drives that use the SerialATA interconnection bus may
> > > not start after the installation of the original version of this package.
> > > Version 2 of this package has removed the fix that caused this problem. If
> > > you are using a computer that experienced this issue, you can restart the
> > > computer by using a bootable Windows Vista DVD and by selecting the
> > > Repair/System Recovery options. If your computer has already installed the
> > > original version of this update and has successfully restarted, you do not
> > > have to install version 2 of this update."
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install. ll'see if it works

Bob Kerns

Re: Boot problem after installing the new update KB941649
Windows Update keeps trying to install this on my system, too. It's
eaten up my day, pretty much.

MS releasing bad patches is nothing new. My Windows 2K box is sitting
here dead to the world, killed by Windows Update.

I've also had a bunch of Vista patches fail the first time they were
presented. Eventually they come up again, and succeed.

Just remember this formula:

Windows Update = MS-DOS (MicroSoft Denial Of Service attack)