RE: Could KB936181 update problems be caused by Kodak EasyShare so

LBurg

RE: Could KB936181 update problems be caused by Kodak EasyShare so
sorry, I added more information below:

"LBurg" wrote:

> Can you please help me. Just recentlyI have the same problem with KB936181
> continually asking me to updated it. I also just had both problems. Prior
> to installing Kodak, i did a restore point, why i dont know but did. I had
> some problems with the installation but then it worked out. this was on
> 10/20/07. After that installation and according to windows update history on
> 10/21 started this KB936181 installation problem & is still trying to install
> the probram & I have the shield in the bottom right hand corner & it will not
> go away.
>
> I have no idea what jaybarts solution is or what a Parser is. I looked on
> the link
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us
>
> but I am still clueless. Please help me resolve this issue. I have xp home
> version 2002 SP2 & it is always updated, Thank You.

I have the following installed updated in my computer:
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) - THIS KEEPS ON INSTALLING
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)

"Serge" wrote:

> "Ron" wrote:
>
> > OS: Win XP SP2
> >
> > I've been experiencing the problem a lot of other people have with the
> > KB936181 update continually being downloaded/installed from Windows
> > Update. I finally uninstalled KB936181 along with a couple of other
> > Msxml updates, and reinstalled them from Windows Update. That worked
> > great, and I didn't have any problems for a few days.
> >
> > I had updated my EasyShare software the same day I installed the
> > KB936181 update. After I installed the KB936181 update, a couple of days
> > later I tried to transfer a video from my Kodak camera via the Easyshare
> > software, however the software crashed. Photographs will download from
> > the camera without problem. Since I hadn't tested the video function on
> > the camera after installing the EasyShare upgrade, I figured it must
> > have been a problem during from the last EasyShare program upgrade, so I
> > ran the Kodak reinstall utility again. But videos still won't download
> > from the camera, and I noticed that the 4.20.9848.0 version of
> > Msxml4.dll file in Windows/system32 has now been downgraded back to
> > 4.20.9818.0, and Lo' and behold, Windows Update is notifying me of the
> > KB936181 update again.
> >
> > Could EasyShare have something to do with the KB936181 issue? I have
> > noticed in the installer directory for this program there are some cab
> > files that contain some files that begin with the string Msxml4.dll*
> >
> > This issue is getting to be a pain in the neck...
> >

> Like you I was not offered KB936181 for a few days only. Out of desperation
> I applied jaybart’s solution. KB936181 was never reoffered again.
>
> I have the latest upgrade for Kodak Easy Share software and do not have any
> problem downloading videos from my Kodak camera.
>
> Version of Msxml4.dll file in Windows/System 32 was not downgraded and
> remained at 4.20.9848.0.
>
> If your problem is related to KB936181 here is jaybart’s solution.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Serge

> Update KB936181 fails to install - jaybart
> 17-Aug-07 01:20:05
>
> I've no idea what a Parser is or does, but after deleting this (in
> addition to all
> previous versions of msxml 4.0 --including 936181-- ) it seems I was
> finally able to download and install 936181 correctly using the auto
> update function- the annoying yellow shield is gone now, after having
> re-booted..and the microsoft update site tells me there are no
> outstanding patches needed.
>
> Anyways thats how it was resolved.

Serge

RE: Could KB936181 update problems be caused by Kodak EasyShare so

Here is jaybart's message with the solution. The only difference was that
my Parser file was 1.6 MB.

I did use an other solution but kb936181 vanished for a few days reappeared
again. Since I applied jaybart's solution I was able to install kb936181
correctly and kb936181 was never reoffered again.

Good luck.

Serge
Update KB936181 fails to install - jaybart
17-Aug-07 01:20:05

A-HA!

It seems the problem has been resolved- so I'll mention for the benefit
of any other non-tech types like me who look at this board..

In my case, during the trial routines of uninstalling previous versions
(and the current version 936181) using Add or Remove Programs, I
somehow overlooked the little extra program in the Programs list "Msxml
4.0 Parser (0.06mb)" that was positioned immediately below the other
Msxml 4.0 installations.

I've no idea what a Parser is or does, but after deleting this (in
addition to all
previous versions of msxml 4.0 --including 936181-- ) it seems I was
finally able to download and install 936181 correctly using the auto
update function- the annoying yellow shield is gone now, after having
re-booted..and the microsoft update site tells me there are no
outstanding patches needed.

Anyways thats how it was resolved.

Ron

Serge wrote:
> Here is jaybart's message with the solution. The only difference was
> that my Parser file was 1.6 MB.

> In my case, during the trial routines of uninstalling previous
> versions (and the current version 936181) using Add or Remove
> Programs, I somehow overlooked the little extra program in the
> Programs list "Msxml 4.0 Parser (0.06mb)" that was positioned
> immediately below the other Msxml 4.0 installations.

This is the fix that I tried and was only temporarily able to stop
KB936181 from coming back up. A few days later WU started the KB936181
notifications again. I'm too busy dealing with other computers right now
to stomp on this issue, but I'm sure I'll get it sorted out sooner or
later...

Serge

Re: Could KB936181 update problems be caused by Kodak EasyShare so
Ron,

It seems that different systems need a different solution. If you have not
done so yet, you might have a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

Note:

In Step 2 the system would not let me delete either of the 2 Msxml4.dll
files.

Step 1 and 3 seemed did work. I thought I had solved the problem but 3
days later I was reoffered KB 936181. It seemed to have worked for other
people.

Good luck!

Serge