Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re: Same update prompt

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


Fairylilyrain wrote:

> I keep getting prompted to install Security update for microsoft LML core
> services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB936181) I have installed it like 8 times and
> have no idea if for some reason its not taking or what the problem is.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2007
JhnDeerGrn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
The security update is not listed when I use the ADD or Remove Programs
although it is listed 6 times under Update History. How can I "uninstall"?
HELP!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> Fairylilyrain wrote:
>
> > I keep getting prompted to install Security update for microsoft LML core
> > services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB936181) I have installed it like 8 times and
> > have no idea if for some reason its not taking or what the problem is.

>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
Which version of Windows ?

In XP you can show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [ Start > All Programs > Accessories]
navigate to the WINDOWS folder [directory]
Open the $NtUninstallKB936181$ folder
Open the spuninst subfolder
Run spuninst.exe

Which antivirus/security software is installed ?


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



JhnDeerGrn wrote:

> The security update is not listed when I use the ADD or Remove Programs
> although it is listed 6 times under Update History. How can I "uninstall"?
> HELP!
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>Fairylilyrain wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I keep getting prompted to install Security update for microsoft LML core
>>>services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB936181) I have installed it like 8 times and
>>>have no idea if for some reason its not taking or what the problem is.

>>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
Anetten
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
It's a little hard to understand what to do about it... what should I do to
get it to stop intalling over and over again? The article listed many things,
and I didn't understand half of it..

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
JhnDeerGrn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
Thank you. I have Windows Vista and McAfee anti-Virus. I followed your link
for Vista re hidden files/folders but when I searched for
%SystemRoot%\System32, Msxml4.dll was not listed. (I'm sure at this point I
don't really have to explain that I don't know what I am doing) I played
around for 2 hours. Deleted everything with MSXML 4.0 I could find, manually
installed updates 936181 & 941833 (I think). I don't know how to "verify that
the Msxml4.dll file in %systemroot%\System32 is version 4.20.9848.0" to
verify that the install was succcessful per the "Description of the security
update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0" instructions. So far it looks
like I lost the dreaded repetitive install problem but my Kodak Easyshare
software is totally messed up I noticed others have the same problem. Any
advice ?(I did contact Kodak and did everything they advised including
uninstall &reinstall the software but that did not work.) Thanks again.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which version of Windows ?
>
> In XP you can show hidden files, folders, and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> Using Windows Explorer [ Start > All Programs > Accessories]
> navigate to the WINDOWS folder [directory]
> Open the $NtUninstallKB936181$ folder
> Open the spuninst subfolder
> Run spuninst.exe
>
> Which antivirus/security software is installed ?
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> JhnDeerGrn wrote:
>
> > The security update is not listed when I use the ADD or Remove Programs
> > although it is listed 6 times under Update History. How can I "uninstall"?
> > HELP!
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============
> >>
> >>
> >>Fairylilyrain wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>I keep getting prompted to install Security update for microsoft LML core
> >>>services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB936181) I have installed it like 8 times and
> >>>have no idea if for some reason its not taking or what the problem is.
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
Which Version of Windows is installed, Anetten ?
From KB936181, for XP :

> 1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control
> Panel.
> 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
> 3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs
> item in Control Panel.


The update will be listed as 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)'
Click the Remove button. If it is NOT listed, show hidden files,
folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories], navigate
to the WINDOWS folder [directory] and see if there is a
$NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder. Open it and then open the 'spuninst'
subfolder. Double click spuninst.exe to uninstall KB936181.

Then navigate to WINDOWS\system32
Locate msxml4.dll
Delete it
Close Windows Explorer

Back in Add/Remove Programs, see if this is listed:
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
IF it is, click the Change button
That *should* repair MSXML 4 and replace the file you just deleted.

IF it is not listed and/or there is no $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder,
download KB936181 from here and SAVE it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Close the browser and any other open programs. TEMPORARILY disable the
installed antivirus/security software. Consult the Help file or visit
the manufacturer's web site to learn how this is accomplished.
ALL services of the AV must be stopped, too.

If this makes you uncomfortable while still being connected to the
net/network, then disconnect the system for now.

Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.

PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
software FIRST.

Did that get it installed properly ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============




Anetten wrote:

> It's a little hard to understand what to do about it... what should I do to
> get it to stop intalling over and over again? The article listed many things,
> and I didn't understand half of it..
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
> I don't know how to "verify that
> the Msxml4.dll file in %systemroot%\System32 is version 4.20.9848.0" to
> verify that the install was succcessful per the "Description of the security
> update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0" instructions.


Locate msxml4.dll, *right* click it, choose Properties, and then click
the Version tab. It will show the Version of the file that is installed.

%systemroot%\System32 translates to WINDOWS\system32, if that helps.

This KB article is for Vista:
An update is available that improves the compatibility and the
reliability of Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a
Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833/

See the ' MORE INFORMATION ' section.
As to the Kodak software ... if it's on a CD suggest you Cancel the
installation and see if you can view the files that are present on the
CD. Use Windows Explorer. If there is a copy of msxml4.dll present
suggest you drag a copy of it to the Desktop and then see what Version
it is, as described above.
When the Kodak software is installed it *may* be replacing the copy of
msxml4.dll that is present in WINDOWS\system32.

If that's the case, you will have to uninstall the update, KB936181, and
then reboot.
Ignore the alert to reinstall it.
Then install the Kodak software.
Now reinstall KB936181.
Restart if requested to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


JhnDeerGrn wrote:

> Thank you. I have Windows Vista and McAfee anti-Virus. I followed your link
> for Vista re hidden files/folders but when I searched for
> %SystemRoot%\System32, Msxml4.dll was not listed. (I'm sure at this point I
> don't really have to explain that I don't know what I am doing) I played
> around for 2 hours. Deleted everything with MSXML 4.0 I could find, manually
> installed updates 936181 & 941833 (I think). I don't know how to "verify that
> the Msxml4.dll file in %systemroot%\System32 is version 4.20.9848.0" to
> verify that the install was succcessful per the "Description of the security
> update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0" instructions. So far it looks
> like I lost the dreaded repetitive install problem but my Kodak Easyshare
> software is totally messed up I noticed others have the same problem. Any
> advice ?(I did contact Kodak and did everything they advised including
> uninstall &reinstall the software but that did not work.) Thanks again.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>Which version of Windows ?
>>
>>In XP you can show hidden files, folders, and system files:
>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>>Using Windows Explorer [ Start > All Programs > Accessories]
>>navigate to the WINDOWS folder [directory]
>>Open the $NtUninstallKB936181$ folder
>>Open the spuninst subfolder
>>Run spuninst.exe
>>
>>Which antivirus/security software is installed ?
>>
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>
>>JhnDeerGrn wrote:
>>
>>
>>>The security update is not listed when I use the ADD or Remove Programs
>>>although it is listed 6 times under Update History. How can I "uninstall"?
>>>HELP!
>>>
>>>"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
>>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>>>>
>>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>>>===============
>>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>>Never Forgotten
>>>>===============
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Fairylilyrain wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I keep getting prompted to install Security update for microsoft LML core
>>>>>services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB936181) I have installed it like 8 times and
>>>>>have no idea if for some reason its not taking or what the problem is.
>>>>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2007
Anetten
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
I have Vista Home Premium. Should I do the same as for XP or do you have some
new instructions? Thanks so much!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which Version of Windows is installed, Anetten ?
> From KB936181, for XP :
>
> > 1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control
> > Panel.
> > 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
> > 3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs
> > item in Control Panel.

>
> The update will be listed as 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)'
> Click the Remove button. If it is NOT listed, show hidden files,
> folders, and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories], navigate
> to the WINDOWS folder [directory] and see if there is a
> $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder. Open it and then open the 'spuninst'
> subfolder. Double click spuninst.exe to uninstall KB936181.
>
> Then navigate to WINDOWS\system32
> Locate msxml4.dll
> Delete it
> Close Windows Explorer
>
> Back in Add/Remove Programs, see if this is listed:
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
> IF it is, click the Change button
> That *should* repair MSXML 4 and replace the file you just deleted.
>
> IF it is not listed and/or there is no $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder,
> download KB936181 from here and SAVE it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>
> Close the browser and any other open programs. TEMPORARILY disable the
> installed antivirus/security software. Consult the Help file or visit
> the manufacturer's web site to learn how this is accomplished.
> ALL services of the AV must be stopped, too.
>
> If this makes you uncomfortable while still being connected to the
> net/network, then disconnect the system for now.
>
> Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
> Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.
>
> PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
> software FIRST.
>
> Did that get it installed properly ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
>
> Anetten wrote:
>
> > It's a little hard to understand what to do about it... what should I do to
> > get it to stop intalling over and over again? The article listed many things,
> > and I didn't understand half of it..
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============
> >>

> >
> >

>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2007
MowGreen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Same update prompt
Same instructions, just a different KB #:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833

See the 'Known issues with this Security update' heading.
Except for the KB #, the instructions are the same.

The MSXML update for Vista is KB941833. It will show as that in
Add/Remove Programs. If it will not uninstall from there, the uninstall
folder will be $NtUninstallKB941833$.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Anetten wrote:
> I have Vista Home Premium. Should I do the same as for XP or do you have some
> new instructions? Thanks so much!
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Which Version of Windows is installed, Anetten ?
>> From KB936181, for XP :
>>
>>> 1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control
>>> Panel.
>>> 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
>>> 3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs
>>> item in Control Panel.

>> The update will be listed as 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)'
>> Click the Remove button. If it is NOT listed, show hidden files,
>> folders, and system files:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>> Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories], navigate
>> to the WINDOWS folder [directory] and see if there is a
>> $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder. Open it and then open the 'spuninst'
>> subfolder. Double click spuninst.exe to uninstall KB936181.
>>
>> Then navigate to WINDOWS\system32
>> Locate msxml4.dll
>> Delete it
>> Close Windows Explorer
>>
>> Back in Add/Remove Programs, see if this is listed:
>> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
>> IF it is, click the Change button
>> That *should* repair MSXML 4 and replace the file you just deleted.
>>
>> IF it is not listed and/or there is no $NtUninstallKB936181$ subfolder,
>> download KB936181 from here and SAVE it:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>>
>> Close the browser and any other open programs. TEMPORARILY disable the
>> installed antivirus/security software. Consult the Help file or visit
>> the manufacturer's web site to learn how this is accomplished.
>> ALL services of the AV must be stopped, too.
>>
>> If this makes you uncomfortable while still being connected to the
>> net/network, then disconnect the system for now.
>>
>> Install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe now
>> Restart the system whether you're requested to or not.
>>
>> PRIOR to reconnecting the system, REENABLE the installed AV/security
>> software FIRST.
>>
>> Did that get it installed properly ?
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Anetten wrote:
>>
>>> It's a little hard to understand what to do about it... what should I do to
>>> get it to stop intalling over and over again? The article listed many things,
>>> and I didn't understand half of it..
>>>
>>> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> See the 'Known issues with this security update' section here:
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>>>>
>>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>>> ===============
>>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>> Never Forgotten
>>>> ===============
>>>>
>>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 927532 When you use Windows Update to install an update in Windows Vista, the update may not appear in the Programs and Features item in Control Panel KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Off the wire: Attacks prompt update of 'Tor' anonymity network Steve Security News 0 08-08-2007 20:13
Update: Security risks prompt French BlackBerry ban Paul Security News 0 06-20-2007 22:05
Prompt 4 password HerbisNonVerbis microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 03-17-2007 20:22
Command Prompt =?Utf-8?B?UmVkY293?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-03-2007 09:27




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120