Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Stuart

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Hi PA Bear
I tried exactly what you recommended. The first time it didn't seem to work.
Then I went through the whole routine again. When it came to restart the
computer, the restart failed and Vista went into a restart recovery. This
(fingers crossed) seems to have resolved the issue. I haven't tested it
extensively but I have not got the error yet.
Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Many Regards
Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:

> [...]
> Regards
> Stuart
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup for max exposure.]
> >
> > If you'd look around this newsgroup, you'd see that others have posted about
> > the same problem many times since 09 Oct-07 (and even earlier).
> >
> > Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> > Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> >
> > If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> > following:
> >
> > 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
> > an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
> > Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> > third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
> >
> > NB: If you're running ZA Free firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead
> > of disabling it. You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else
> > online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
> > anti-virus application has been re-enabled!
> >
> > 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)"
> > [or "Security Update for Windows XP (KB939653)"] via Add/Remove Programs
> > (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right) and reboot.
> >
> > 3. Re-do #1 above.
> >
> > 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> > offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
> > category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
> > additional security.
> >
> > 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> > applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> > firewall.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
> >

> > Stuart wrote:
> > > I have been receiving this message now like many other users for the past
> > > 2
> > > weeks running IE7 on Vista Home. I have spent hours pouring through
> > > different websites and forums. I have tried everything suggested in
> > > Microsoft's KB 926431. What is really weird is that I have not installed
> > > anything for ages and it started happening. It only happens on certain
> > > sites. It doesn't happen consistently on the same site. 5 minutes later it
> > > seems to work OK on the same site. It is driving me nuts. I have Defender
> > > installed and have scanned the whole computer for spyware. I have a
> > > scanned
> > > the whole computer for viruses. I have never had a problem like it. All my
> > > other computers going through the same network, running different versions
> > > of Windows have no problem. There has to be some easier solution here.

Stuart

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Hi again
I am afraid to say that the same problem is back again.
Sorry to bother you again but do you have any other ideas?
Thanks
Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:

> Hi PA Bear
> I tried exactly what you recommended. The first time it didn't seem to work.
> Then I went through the whole routine again. When it came to restart the
> computer, the restart failed and Vista went into a restart recovery. This
> (fingers crossed) seems to have resolved the issue. I haven't tested it
> extensively but I have not got the error yet.
> Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
> Many Regards
> Stuart
>
> "Stuart" wrote:
>
> > Hi PA Bear
> > I did try looking around the newsgroup, honest guvnor, and found much of the
> > same advice I had found in other places but I had missed the tip you suggest
> > and I really thank you for that. I shall try that after I have put the kids
> > to bed.
> > Thanks again.
> > Regards
> > Stuart
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup for max exposure.]
> > >
> > > If you'd look around this newsgroup, you'd see that others have posted about
> > > the same problem many times since 09 Oct-07 (and even earlier).
> > >
> > > Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> > > Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> > >
> > > If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
> > > an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
> > > Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> > > third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
> > >
> > > NB: If you're running ZA Free firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead
> > > of disabling it. You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else
> > > online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
> > > anti-virus application has been re-enabled!
> > >
> > > 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)"
> > > [or "Security Update for Windows XP (KB939653)"] via Add/Remove Programs
> > > (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right) and reboot.
> > >
> > > 3. Re-do #1 above.
> > >
> > > 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> > > offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
> > > category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
> > > additional security.
> > >
> > > 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> > > applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> > > firewall.
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > > DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

PA Bear

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Does this behavior occur if you open any website or just some? If the
latter, which one(s)?

If you do only #1 and #2, does the behavior persist?
--
~PA Bear

Stuart wrote:
> Hi again
> I am afraid to say that the same problem is back again.
> Sorry to bother you again but do you have any other ideas?
> Thanks
> Stuart
>
> "Stuart" wrote:
>
>> Hi PA Bear
>> I tried exactly what you recommended. The first time it didn't seem to
>> work. Then I went through the whole routine again. When it came to
>> restart
>> the computer, the restart failed and Vista went into a restart recovery.
>> This (fingers crossed) seems to have resolved the issue. I haven't tested
>> it extensively but I have not got the error yet.
>> Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
>> Many Regards
>> Stuart
>>
>> "Stuart" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi PA Bear
>>> I did try looking around the newsgroup, honest guvnor, and found much of
>>> the same advice I had found in other places but I had missed the tip you
>>> suggest and I really thank you for that. I shall try that after I have
>>> put the kids to bed.
>>> Thanks again.
>>> Regards
>>> Stuart

Stuart

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Hi

It doesn't seem to be a particular website. Even weirder. I can have 3 tabs
open on IE7, 2 of them still work navigating around a particular website. On
the 3rd I can go to the same website but I cannot go to any other website.
Then I restart and the problem has gone for a while then it occurs in another
seemingly random pattern.

I have deactivated the Virus program, I use AVG, and the problem stopped for
a while. I restarted AVG and there was a very large update, practically all
the components. This may have been the fix because so far so good.

I shall monitor it and tell you what happens.

As ever thanks very much for your support.

Regards
Stuart

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Does this behavior occur if you open any website or just some? If the
> latter, which one(s)?
>
> If you do only #1 and #2, does the behavior persist?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Stuart wrote:
> > Hi again
> > I am afraid to say that the same problem is back again.
> > Sorry to bother you again but do you have any other ideas?
> > Thanks
> > Stuart
> >
> > "Stuart" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi PA Bear
> >> I tried exactly what you recommended. The first time it didn't seem to
> >> work. Then I went through the whole routine again. When it came to
> >> restart
> >> the computer, the restart failed and Vista went into a restart recovery.
> >> This (fingers crossed) seems to have resolved the issue. I haven't tested
> >> it extensively but I have not got the error yet.
> >> Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
> >> Many Regards
> >> Stuart

PA Bear

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Right-click on the AVG AV icon in Notification Area and select Check for
Updates to make certain everything's up-to-date (e.g., including Recommended
Updates).

Please keep us posted. Should problems persist/return, here are some
self-help references, some of them Vista-specific:

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
--
~PA Bear