WSUS and push of WDS 3.01 on 24th November
Is anyone able to give a definitive answer (preferably an official one) on
As several people have noted, today saw:
* WDE 3.01 download and 'approve itself' on WSUS, then start installing on
* This occurred despite WSUS being set to only auto approve updates to patches
My company has not deployed any version of WDS (until today of course!) so
the installation came as a complete surprise. Full versions, not updates have
appeared on machines.
My questions are:
1) Was this a deliberate action or a mistake?
2) Is there something we should have done to prevent this? (obviously not
allowing any auto approve will do it, but that isn't the point)
3) Is it a situation that will remain in place? (we are now planning rollout
of the GPO controls for WDS and might as well allow installtion via WSUS if
it's a permanent fixture)
4) Is the WDS deployment guide going to be changed? (reading this, the only
deployment methods supposed to exist are the .exe, packaging the .exe as MSI,
SMS etc - nothing about a WSUS push)
It would be really helpful if the whole matter could be made clear.