Blocked software because publisher is unknown

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Frank McGlynn

Blocked software because publisher is unknown
I am trying to access a real estate virtual tour from a reputable web site.
When i try to run the tour an active x bar shows at the top of the page.
When I select install, i get a message saying "windows has blocked this
software because the publisher is unknown" The only button is "ok:. How do I
disable whatever is causing this blockage? Thanks.
--
Frank McG
Mr. Arnold

Re: Blocked software because publisher is unknown

"Frank McGlynn" <FrankMcGlynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to access a real estate virtual tour from a reputable web site.
> When i try to run the tour an active x bar shows at the top of the page.
> When I select install, i get a message saying "windows has blocked this
> software because the publisher is unknown" The only button is "ok:. How do
> disable whatever is causing this blockage? Thanks.

I'll just forewarn you. You got to be real careful as to an ActiveX control
being installed on Vista like that. It can take Vista down if it's not Vista
compatible. I only had to visit a Web site one time that I let a ActiveX
control be installed.

Explore started going into a crash and restart loop that I couldn't get out
of it The only way out was boot of the Vista install DVD to do a restore to
get back to a point that the ActiveX control was not there.

I am just telling to be careful, and if nothing else, communicate with the
site's Web Admin or someone before you proceed.

Jimmy Brush

Frank McGlynn wrote:
> I am trying to access a real estate virtual tour from a reputable web site.
> When i try to run the tour an active x bar shows at the top of the page.
> When I select install, i get a message saying "windows has blocked this
> software because the publisher is unknown" The only button is "ok:. How do I
> disable whatever is causing this blockage? Thanks.

Hello,

I would recommend adding the site to your trusted sites list (Tools ->
Internet Options -> Security tab -> Click on Trusted Sites -> Click
Sites button)

You may need to uncheck the checkbox if the site is not a secure site.

Then, change the security settings for trusted sites to allow unsigned
activex controls to prompt (click custom level..., change download
unsigned activex controls to prompt)

- JB

Frank McGlynn

Re: Blocked software because publisher is unknown
Thanks. Itried this but still get the same message. What windows segment is
controlling this. I say this because it says windows blocked, not ie7. Thanks
--
Frank McG

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Frank McGlynn wrote:
> > I am trying to access a real estate virtual tour from a reputable web site.
> > When i try to run the tour an active x bar shows at the top of the page.
> > When I select install, i get a message saying "windows has blocked this
> > software because the publisher is unknown" The only button is "ok:. How do I
> > disable whatever is causing this blockage? Thanks.

> Hello,
>
> I would recommend adding the site to your trusted sites list (Tools ->
> Internet Options -> Security tab -> Click on Trusted Sites -> Click
> Sites button)
>
> You may need to uncheck the checkbox if the site is not a secure site.
>
> Then, change the security settings for trusted sites to allow unsigned
> activex controls to prompt (click custom level..., change download
> unsigned activex controls to prompt)
>
> - JB

Neil Harley

Frank McGlynn wrote:
> I am trying to access a real estate virtual tour from a reputable web site.
> When i try to run the tour an active x bar shows at the top of the page.
> When I select install, i get a message saying "windows has blocked this
> software because the publisher is unknown" The only button is "ok:. How do I
> disable whatever is causing this blockage? Thanks.

This happened when I was at a friend a few days ago. Using IE we
couldn't get Facebook to install its ActiveX control even though first
time round we said to install it. After a refresh of the page, Windows
decided to block the control and the IE options were set to 'Prompt' but
Windows over-ruled that decision.

Facebook works for me at home without having done anything 'special' so
it isn't Vista afaik because my friend has XP on his laptop.

We ended up using Firefox to view the pages!