CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jj mac

CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
Defender”
My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
What’s gone wrong?.
Help Please.
--
JJ MacA
Engel

RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
--

"jj mac" wrote:

> Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
> Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
> receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
> Defender”
> My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
> What’s gone wrong?.
> Help Please.
> --
> JJ MacA

Robert Firth

Re: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Even Norton disables Windows Defender...

Robert Firth
http://www.winvistainfo.org

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
> --
>
> "jj mac" wrote:
>
>> Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
>> Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short
>> period I
>> receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for
>> Windows
>> Defender”
>> My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
>> What’s gone wrong?.
>> Help Please.
>> --
>> JJ MacA

jj mac

RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Engel
I had to Google live oneCare to find out what it was but no I havn't it
installed
--
JJ MacA

"Engel" wrote:

> Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
> --
>
> "jj mac" wrote:
>
> > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
> > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
> > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
> > Defender”
> > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
> > What’s gone wrong?.
> > Help Please.
> > --
> > JJ MacA

jj mac

Re: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Robert
I am using McAfee Security Center,VirusScan,Firewall,SpamKiller & Privacy
Service.
It is quite possble that McAfee is blocking Windows Defender. Anything
Norton can do McAfee can do better. I've had experience of both. I think
you have given me my answer. I keep getting security alerts from Windows
Security Center which are a little alarming.
--
JJ MacA

"Robert Firth" wrote:

> Even Norton disables Windows Defender...
>
> Robert Firth
> http://www.winvistainfo.org
>
> "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
> > --
> >
> > "jj mac" wrote:
> >
> >> Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
> >> Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short
> >> period I
> >> receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for
> >> Windows
> >> Defender”
> >> My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
> >> What’s gone wrong?.
> >> Help Please.
> >> --
> >> JJ MacA

Engel

RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
Hi JJ MacA,

Please confirm your system clock and Time Zone also the Date set properly,
Having it set incorrectly can cause this type of behavior.
--

"jj mac" wrote:

> Engel
> I had to Google live oneCare to find out what it was but no I havn't it
> installed
> --
> JJ MacA
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
> > --
> >
> > "jj mac" wrote:
> >
> > > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
> > > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
> > > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
> > > Defender”
> > > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
> > > What’s gone wrong?.
> > > Help Please.
> > > --
> > > JJ MacA

Giovanni

RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER
I am having the same problem as the topic starter. It also won't recognize
Norton. It did when I first purchased the computer but after a couple of
weeks I started having this problem. I have checked my time to see if it set
correctly and it is. I have the latest Norton 360 with the latest update.