Security Setting are Maddening

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jon

Security Setting are Maddening
I am the type of admin that likes to edit his Start Menu to keep it
very clean, short and organized as well as have access to every
Directory/file on the system no matter where it's located. I am getting
plenty of 'Access Denied' everytime I try to access most everything on the
system. How do I get the admin rights to access and edit the Users folder -
ALL of the users under it - and any other directory on the computer? Where
are the settings that will give me 'Godlike' powers over the computer? I've
looked everywhere and I don't see where these settings are.

Any reply would be very helpful and thanks -
Jon

Arjan

Re: Security Setting are Maddening
"Jon" <lanmanjs@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> I am the type of admin that likes to edit his Start Menu to keep it
> very clean, short and organized as well as have access to every
> Directory/file on the system no matter where it's located. I am getting
> plenty of 'Access Denied' everytime I try to access most everything on the
> system. How do I get the admin rights to access and edit the Users
> folder - ALL of the users under it - and any other directory on the
> computer? Where are the settings that will give me 'Godlike' powers over
> the computer? I've looked everywhere and I don't see where these settings
> are.
>
> Any reply would be very helpful and thanks -
> Jon

You could Restart computer, while restarting press f8 (i think) a couple of
times, or just press and hold.
Then you should see a menu giving you the option to either choose your OS or
to choose "Windows Vista Safe Mode with Network"
I hope that'll do the job

Jon

Re: Security Setting are Maddening
One more thing I left out:

This is Vista Business and I am in the Adminstrators Group.

"Jon" <lanmanjs@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am the type of admin that likes to edit his Start Menu to keep it
> very clean, short and organized as well as have access to every
> Directory/file on the system no matter where it's located. I am getting
> plenty of 'Access Denied' everytime I try to access most everything on the
> system. How do I get the admin rights to access and edit the Users
> folder - ALL of the users under it - and any other directory on the
> computer? Where are the settings that will give me 'Godlike' powers over
> the computer? I've looked everywhere and I don't see where these settings
> are.
>
> Any reply would be very helpful and thanks -
> Jon

Jesper

Re: Security Setting are Maddening
The only supported way to grant yourself godlike permissions to the system is
to either enable automatic elevation for admins in UAC, or disable UAC
altogether. That would put you back into the same state you were in with XP
where you have the run of everything on the computer.

Needless to say, I don't particularly advocate that option. A better option
is to grant yourself write permission to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. That lets you edit the start
menu that all users see, but not each user's individual start menu. There is
no easy way to do that.

---

"Jon" wrote:

> One more thing I left out:
>
> This is Vista Business and I am in the Adminstrators Group.
>

> "Jon" <lanmanjs@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I am the type of admin that likes to edit his Start Menu to keep it
> > very clean, short and organized as well as have access to every
> > Directory/file on the system no matter where it's located. I am getting
> > plenty of 'Access Denied' everytime I try to access most everything on the
> > system. How do I get the admin rights to access and edit the Users
> > folder - ALL of the users under it - and any other directory on the
> > computer? Where are the settings that will give me 'Godlike' powers over
> > the computer? I've looked everywhere and I don't see where these settings
> > are.
> >
> > Any reply would be very helpful and thanks -
> > Jon

Jimmy Brush

Jon wrote:
> I am the type of admin that likes to edit his Start Menu to keep
> it very clean, short and organized as well as have access to every
> Directory/file on the system no matter where it's located. I am getting
> plenty of 'Access Denied' everytime I try to access most everything on
> the system. How do I get the admin rights to access and edit the Users
> folder - ALL of the users under it - and any other directory on the
> computer? Where are the settings that will give me 'Godlike' powers
> over the computer? I've looked everywhere and I don't see where these
> settings are.
>
> Any reply would be very helpful and thanks -
> Jon

Also note that if you have disabled the hiding of operating system
files, you may be running into junctions that say "access denied". These
are displayed with a ghosted icon and a shortcut symbol, and have the
name of a legacy folder location (such as "application data" and "local
settings").

These are not folders and cannot contain files.

You can see these junctions and what folder these locations have been
replaced with by using the command prompt and issuing a 'dir /al' command.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User