Password for security

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Zygy

Password for security
Is there a way of introducing a Password on bootup and if there is has it
been tried out as fault free? I would hate to bar myself from access. My OS
is Vista Business.

Spirit

Re: Password for security
You can set a BIOS Password and you have to enter that before windows will
even start. Or you
can set a logon password - WRITE IT DOWN in several places...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...tapassword.htm
How to Create a Windows Vista Logon Password.

"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way of introducing a Password on bootup and if there is has it
> been tried out as fault free? I would hate to bar myself from access. My
> OS is Vista Business.

Zygy

Re: Password for security
Thank you for the reply. If I do the logon password at what stage in the
bootup process will I have to enter it?
"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> You can set a BIOS Password and you have to enter that before windows will
> even start. Or you
> can set a logon password - WRITE IT DOWN in several places...
>
> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...tapassword.htm
> How to Create a Windows Vista Logon Password.
>
> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way of introducing a Password on bootup and if there is has it
>> been tried out as fault free? I would hate to bar myself from access. My
>> OS is Vista Business.

Jesper

Re: Password for security
A logon password is entered AFTER the computer has booted fully to log you on
to your user account.

What threat is it you are trying to mitigate? In other words, what are you
trying to achieve with the password?
---

"Zygy" wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. If I do the logon password at what stage in the
> bootup process will I have to enter it?
> "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> > You can set a BIOS Password and you have to enter that before windows will
> > even start. Or you
> > can set a logon password - WRITE IT DOWN in several places...
> >
> > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...tapassword.htm
> > How to Create a Windows Vista Logon Password.
> >
> > "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a way of introducing a Password on bootup and if there is has it
> >> been tried out as fault free? I would hate to bar myself from access. My
> >> OS is Vista Business.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Password for security
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:40:32 -0700, "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote:

> You can set a BIOS Password and you have to enter that before windows will
> even start.

I think a BIOS password is the weakest possible level of security.
It's good enough to stop a casual passer-by from booting the system,
but useless against anyone who really wants to get in.

Opening the case, and removing the battery for a few minutes (or
setting the appropriate jumper) is trivially easy and takes just a few
minutes.

Besides, many BIOS passwords *can* be bypassed without opening the
case, since there are often backdoor passwords available. There is
also software available to find a BIOS password.

A BIOS password is a good resource against a casual intruder, but if
for example, you want something to keep a thief who has stolen your
computer from being able to access your confidential data, it's
useless.

> Or you
> can set a logon password - WRITE IT DOWN in several places...
>
> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...tapassword.htm
> How to Create a Windows Vista Logon Password.
>
> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way of introducing a Password on bootup and if there is has it
> > been tried out as fault free? I would hate to bar myself from access. My
> > OS is Vista Business.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Zygy

Re: Password for security
Thank you for the reply. Why do I want a password?, well it occurred to me
that if I drop dead anybody can just boot up and have access to all the
information I have on the computer. I made a mistake and transferred all my
paper files (three filing drawers) onto the computer and CDs (there is a way
of having a password for them as well).

Having read Ken Blake's contribution I thing I will go for a logon password
and the one I have in mind I will not forget, nor will anybody guess it!
"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A logon password is entered AFTER the computer has booted fully to log you
>on
> to your user account.
>
> What threat is it you are trying to mitigate? In other words, what are you
> trying to achieve with the password?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Zygy" wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the reply. If I do the logon password at what stage in the
>> bootup process will I have to enter it?
>> "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>> > You can set a BIOS Password and you have to enter that before windows
>> > will
>> > even start. Or you
>> > can set a logon password - WRITE IT DOWN in several places...
>> >
>> > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...tapassword.htm
>> > How to Create a Windows Vista Logon Password.

Spirit

Re: Password for security
If you are really paranoid there are encryption programs that make folders
or even the entire drive
unreadable. It not likely that anyone except major companies and/or your
Uncle would have the
technology to decrypt them.

> Thank you for the reply. Why do I want a password?, well it occurred to me
> that if I drop dead anybody can just boot up and have access to all the
> information I have on the computer. I made a mistake and transferred all
> my paper files (three filing drawers) onto the computer and CDs (there is
> a way of having a password for them as well).
>
> Having read Ken Blake's contribution I thing I will go for a logon
> password and the one I have in mind I will not forget, nor will anybody
> guess it!
> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>A logon password is entered AFTER the computer has booted fully to log you
>>on
>> to your user account.
>>
>> What threat is it you are trying to mitigate? In other words, what are
>> you
>> trying to achieve with the password?
>> ---
>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>>

>> "Zygy" wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for the reply. If I do the logon password at what stage in the
>>> bootup process will I have to enter it?

Zygy

Re: Password for security
When you are little older you will sing in a different octave and will not
make pointless remarks!
> If you are really paranoid there are encryption programs that make folders
> or even the entire drive
> unreadable. It not likely that anyone except major companies and/or your
> Uncle would have the
> technology to decrypt them.
>
> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for the reply. Why do I want a password?, well it occurred to
>> me that if I drop dead anybody can just boot up and have access to all
>> the information I have on the computer. I made a mistake and transferred
>> all my paper files (three filing drawers) onto the computer and CDs
>> (there is a way of having a password for them as well).
>>
>> Having read Ken Blake's contribution I thing I will go for a logon
>> password and the one I have in mind I will not forget, nor will anybody
>> guess it!
>> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>A logon password is entered AFTER the computer has booted fully to log
>>>you on
>>> to your user account.
>>>
>>> What threat is it you are trying to mitigate? In other words, what are
>>> you
>>> trying to achieve with the password?
>>> ---
>>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20

Tim

Re: Password for security
Huh? I thought Spirit's suggestions were perfectly valid. I thought the
point there was you could look into encryption but realize that no solution
is perfect...there will always be someone who can break in given enough
access, time, and knowledge.

Tim

> When you are little older you will sing in a different octave and will not
> make pointless remarks!
> "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>> If you are really paranoid there are encryption programs that make
>> folders or even the entire drive
>> unreadable. It not likely that anyone except major companies and/or your
>> Uncle would have the
>> technology to decrypt them.
>>
>> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for the reply. Why do I want a password?, well it occurred to
>>> me that if I drop dead anybody can just boot up and have access to all
>>> the information I have on the computer. I made a mistake and transferred
>>> all my paper files (three filing drawers) onto the computer and CDs
>>> (there is a way of having a password for them as well).
>>>
>>> Having read Ken Blake's contribution I thing I will go for a logon
>>> password and the one I have in mind I will not forget, nor will anybody
>>> guess it!

Spirit

Re: Password for security
My feelings exactly...... no good turn goes unpunished.