Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

MICHAEL

Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517
For several weeks, users in our security forum have been discussing a problem with Kaspersky
Anti-Virus they say the company refuses to properly address. At fault is the company's iSwift
technology, which speeds up virus scans by tagging (NTFS-identifiers) certain files and
tracking whether they've been changed (and thus need to be rescanned).

According to forum users, the technology all but breaks CHKDSK functionality, and the changes
are permanent even if you uninstall the software. Kaspersky blames Microsoft for the problem,
but our forum regulars insist the problem is Kaspersky's.

Peter Foldes

Re: Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK
Multiposted

--
Peter

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message news:%23M4T3EJwHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517
> For several weeks, users in our security forum have been discussing a problem with Kaspersky
> Anti-Virus they say the company refuses to properly address. At fault is the company's iSwift
> technology, which speeds up virus scans by tagging (NTFS-identifiers) certain files and
> tracking whether they've been changed (and thus need to be rescanned).
>
> According to forum users, the technology all but breaks CHKDSK functionality, and the changes
> are permanent even if you uninstall the software. Kaspersky blames Microsoft for the problem,
> but our forum regulars insist the problem is Kaspersky's.
>

> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18608452

Peter Foldes

Re: Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK
Sorry Michael it was meant for another post not yours. Sorry ignore. Too quick after just waking up.

--
Peter

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OkLjQYLwHHA.3508@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Multiposted

--
Peter

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message news:%23M4T3EJwHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517
> For several weeks, users in our security forum have been discussing a problem with Kaspersky
> Anti-Virus they say the company refuses to properly address. At fault is the company's iSwift
> technology, which speeds up virus scans by tagging (NTFS-identifiers) certain files and
> tracking whether they've been changed (and thus need to be rescanned).
>
> According to forum users, the technology all but breaks CHKDSK functionality, and the changes
> are permanent even if you uninstall the software. Kaspersky blames Microsoft for the problem,
> but our forum regulars insist the problem is Kaspersky's.
>

> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18608452

MICHAEL

Re: Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK

* Peter Foldes:
> Sorry Michael it was meant for another post not yours. Sorry ignore. Too quick after just waking up.

I try not to "say" anything until my second cup of coffee. ;-)

Take care,

Michael
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 08:20:08 -0400, MICHAEL <u158627_emr2@dslr.net>

>http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517
>For several weeks, users in our security forum have been discussing a problem with Kaspersky
>Anti-Virus they say the company refuses to properly address. At fault is the company's iSwift
>technology, which speeds up virus scans by tagging (NTFS-identifiers) certain files and
>tracking whether they've been changed (and thus need to be rescanned).

>According to forum users, the technology all but breaks CHKDSK functionality, and the changes
>are permanent even if you uninstall the software. Kaspersky blames Microsoft for the problem,
>but our forum regulars insist the problem is Kaspersky's.

>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18608452

If it's just ADS added to code files as an integrity check value,
wouldn't ADS Spy in HiJackThis clean them up?

Or, is the ChkDsk delay cause by issues with security descriptors?

Google( ChkDsk Security Descriptors )

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831375

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873437

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

I'm glad I don't use NTFS, yet.

On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream

Kaspersky AV Breaking CHKDSK MICHAEL microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 07-07-2007 23:04
OT - Breaking News Mac microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 07-03-2007 20:52
Breaking News 1.0.0 Gamer Games Feed 0 05-29-2007 16:04
Shortcuts allways breaking! James Matthews microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 4 05-22-2007 10:16
Breaking WEP in Under a Minute Paul Security News 0 04-04-2007 21:00