Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Henry Craven {MVP}
 

Posts: n/a
Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
I have a laptop set up with XPpro and Vista Ultimate in dual boot.
( I need XPp for productivity while I get used to Vista and Office 07 )

....anyhooo. Vista mail ( I think) started throwing a wobbly with Vista
popping up messages that one of the files were corrupt and needing to run
chkdsk. Well after an hour it was racing through a list of files all in
E:\$security all corrupt and requiring chkdsk run. - OK so I scheduled a
chkdsk.

On re-boot the Vista partition wouldn't boot saying the Hardware had changed
( untrue ) and needing a repair build.
OK... booted to the XPpro part and chkdsk ran on the Vista (E:\) partition
deleting heaps, including indexes and security and whatnot else... ( Seeing
a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late... not entirely sure it's to do
with large drives as per the KB either ... )

SO.... Here I am in the XP partition ( Vista unbootable ) and trying to
access the most recent files that were on my Vista Desktop, and MyDocs...
however I can't.
I can see the E:\Docs and settings but chant change the permission from
"Read Only" and there are no extended NTFS permissions so I can Take
Ownership..

Question then:
From the XPpro Partition how can I retrieve files in the Vista Partition ?
( .....lets assume for a moment that I can't repair the Vista Boot )

----
Henry Craven


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Gerry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Henry

With a dual boot situation neither operating sytem should be able to the
partition containing the other operating system! You should only allow
both operating system to see data files.


--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Henry Craven {MVP}" <Sme@nevernever.lan> wrote in message
news:e7tGn8IwHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have a laptop set up with XPpro and Vista Ultimate in dual boot.
> ( I need XPp for productivity while I get used to Vista and Office
> 07 )
>
> ...anyhooo. Vista mail ( I think) started throwing a wobbly with Vista
> popping up messages that one of the files were corrupt and needing to
> run chkdsk. Well after an hour it was racing through a list of files
> all in E:\$security all corrupt and requiring chkdsk run. - OK so I
> scheduled a chkdsk.
>
> On re-boot the Vista partition wouldn't boot saying the Hardware had
> changed ( untrue ) and needing a repair build.
> OK... booted to the XPpro part and chkdsk ran on the Vista (E:\)
> partition deleting heaps, including indexes and security and whatnot
> else... ( Seeing a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late... not
> entirely sure it's to do with large drives as per the KB either ... )
>
> SO.... Here I am in the XP partition ( Vista unbootable ) and trying
> to access the most recent files that were on my Vista Desktop, and
> MyDocs... however I can't.
> I can see the E:\Docs and settings but chant change the permission
> from "Read Only" and there are no extended NTFS permissions so I can
> Take Ownership..
>
> Question then:
> From the XPpro Partition how can I retrieve files in the Vista
> Partition ?
> ( .....lets assume for a moment that I can't repair the Vista Boot )
>
> ----
> Henry Craven
>




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Henry Craven {MVP}
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Perhaps you missed the question...
Can I repeat again:
From the XPpro Partition how can I retrieve files in the Vista Partition ?

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}


"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:upzzXKJwHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Henry
>
> With a dual boot situation neither operating sytem should be able to the
> partition containing the other operating system! You should only allow
> both operating system to see data files.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Henry Craven {MVP}" <Sme@nevernever.lan> wrote in message
> news:e7tGn8IwHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>I have a laptop set up with XPpro and Vista Ultimate in dual boot.
>> ( I need XPp for productivity while I get used to Vista and Office
>> 07 )
>>
>> ...anyhooo. Vista mail ( I think) started throwing a wobbly with Vista
>> popping up messages that one of the files were corrupt and needing to
>> run chkdsk. Well after an hour it was racing through a list of files
>> all in E:\$security all corrupt and requiring chkdsk run. - OK so I
>> scheduled a chkdsk.
>>
>> On re-boot the Vista partition wouldn't boot saying the Hardware had
>> changed ( untrue ) and needing a repair build.
>> OK... booted to the XPpro part and chkdsk ran on the Vista (E:\)
>> partition deleting heaps, including indexes and security and whatnot
>> else... ( Seeing a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late... not
>> entirely sure it's to do with large drives as per the KB either ... )
>>
>> SO.... Here I am in the XP partition ( Vista unbootable ) and trying
>> to access the most recent files that were on my Vista Desktop, and
>> MyDocs... however I can't.
>> I can see the E:\Docs and settings but chant change the permission
>> from "Read Only" and there are no extended NTFS permissions so I can
>> Take Ownership..
>>
>> Question then:
>> From the XPpro Partition how can I retrieve files in the Vista
>> Partition ?
>> ( .....lets assume for a moment that I can't repair the Vista Boot )
>>
>> ----
>> Henry Craven
>>

>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Jane C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Hello Henry,

First off, can you check via Folder Options in XP - uncheck 'Use Simple File
Sharing', that should enable the Security tab. With the Security tab
enabled you should be able to take ownership of the needed folders.

You're looking to get access to E:\Users\Henry\Desktop and
E:\Users\Henry\Documents - ignore Documents and Settings, it's not a folder,
it's a junction.



--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Henry Craven {MVP}" <Sme@nevernever.lan> wrote in message
news:e7tGn8IwHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have a laptop set up with XPpro and Vista Ultimate in dual boot.
> ( I need XPp for productivity while I get used to Vista and Office 07 )
>
> ...anyhooo. Vista mail ( I think) started throwing a wobbly with Vista
> popping up messages that one of the files were corrupt and needing to run
> chkdsk. Well after an hour it was racing through a list of files all in
> E:\$security all corrupt and requiring chkdsk run. - OK so I scheduled a
> chkdsk.
>
> On re-boot the Vista partition wouldn't boot saying the Hardware had
> changed ( untrue ) and needing a repair build.
> OK... booted to the XPpro part and chkdsk ran on the Vista (E:\) partition
> deleting heaps, including indexes and security and whatnot else... (
> Seeing a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late... not entirely sure
> it's to do with large drives as per the KB either ... )
>
> SO.... Here I am in the XP partition ( Vista unbootable ) and trying to
> access the most recent files that were on my Vista Desktop, and MyDocs...
> however I can't.
> I can see the E:\Docs and settings but chant change the permission from
> "Read Only" and there are no extended NTFS permissions so I can Take
> Ownership..
>
> Question then:
> From the XPpro Partition how can I retrieve files in the Vista Partition ?
> ( .....lets assume for a moment that I can't repair the Vista Boot )
>
> ----
> Henry Craven
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Henry Craven {MVP}
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Cheers Jane, you're right on the money.
( It complained a lot but eventually gave me enough permission... )
and now that I have the files safely copied off I can go do battle with
Vista again :-)

As an aside,
....any idea what the story is with this increase in Chkdsk issues ?

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}


"Jane C" <janecolman@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:3FFD171B-4DAB-421E-9C01-05BE4287C03C@microsoft.com...
> Hello Henry,
>
> First off, can you check via Folder Options in XP - uncheck 'Use Simple
> File Sharing', that should enable the Security tab. With the Security tab
> enabled you should be able to take ownership of the needed folders.
>
> You're looking to get access to E:\Users\Henry\Desktop and
> E:\Users\Henry\Documents - ignore Documents and Settings, it's not a
> folder, it's a junction.
>
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
GTS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
If by "Seeing a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late" you mean you've
had multiple instances of file problems, it may indicate a cascading
development of bad sectors on your hard drive. It would be advisable to
backup your files and the run chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors.
--

"Henry Craven {MVP}" <Sme@nevernever.lan> wrote in message
news:ulBnwMKwHHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Cheers Jane, you're right on the money.
> ( It complained a lot but eventually gave me enough permission... )
> and now that I have the files safely copied off I can go do battle with
> Vista again :-)
>
> As an aside,
> ...any idea what the story is with this increase in Chkdsk issues ?
>
> --
> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
>
>
> "Jane C" <janecolman@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> news:3FFD171B-4DAB-421E-9C01-05BE4287C03C@microsoft.com...
>> Hello Henry,
>>
>> First off, can you check via Folder Options in XP - uncheck 'Use Simple
>> File Sharing', that should enable the Security tab. With the Security
>> tab enabled you should be able to take ownership of the needed folders.
>>
>> You're looking to get access to E:\Users\Henry\Desktop and
>> E:\Users\Henry\Documents - ignore Documents and Settings, it's not a
>> folder, it's a junction.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> MVP Windows Shell/User

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Jane C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Hi Henry,

It does seem odd that there have been so many issues of late with chkdsk.
There is a post here in this newsgroup from 'MICHAEL' with an interesting
link:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517

I don't know if that would impact any SBSers - is Kaspersky used on servers
much?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
MVP Windows Shell/User
"Henry Craven {MVP}" <Sme@nevernever.lan> wrote in message
news:ulBnwMKwHHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Cheers Jane, you're right on the money.
> ( It complained a lot but eventually gave me enough permission... )
> and now that I have the files safely copied off I can go do battle with
> Vista again :-)
>
> As an aside,
> ...any idea what the story is with this increase in Chkdsk issues ?
>
> --
> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
>
>
> "Jane C" <janecolman@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> news:3FFD171B-4DAB-421E-9C01-05BE4287C03C@microsoft.com...
>> Hello Henry,
>>
>> First off, can you check via Folder Options in XP - uncheck 'Use Simple
>> File Sharing', that should enable the Security tab. With the Security
>> tab enabled you should be able to take ownership of the needed folders.
>>
>> You're looking to get access to E:\Users\Henry\Desktop and
>> E:\Users\Henry\Documents - ignore Documents and Settings, it's not a
>> folder, it's a junction.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> MVP Windows Shell/User

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Henry Craven {MVP}
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Drives ( plural )
.....seeing this across at least a half dozen peoples systems in the last
couple of months.- Time was you never heard or saw a peep from Chkdsk - so
much so people were forgetting it was there.

----
Henry Craven

"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
news:%23rcYQ5KwHHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> If by "Seeing a lot of this chkdsk hosing drives of late" you mean you've
> had multiple instances of file problems, it may indicate a cascading
> development of bad sectors on your hard drive. It would be advisable to
> backup your files and the run chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors.
> --



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2007
Henry Craven {MVP}
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot
Thanks Jane,
....yes I read that when looking for solutions prior to posting
.... my "due-diligence" :-)

Used to love Kaspersky, but it became too much of a system overhead and
performance killer. Certainly not using it on XPpro or Vista boxes.
As we're moving more and more into The Exchange 2007 era we're using
Forefront and it's packaged with that but we're still turning it off
currently.

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}



"Jane C" <janecolman@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:5B2BFEFF-4D5B-466E-A629-8B88E0695612@microsoft.com...
> Hi Henry,
>
> It does seem odd that there have been so many issues of late with chkdsk.
> There is a post here in this newsgroup from 'MICHAEL' with an interesting
> link:
> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/K...g-CHKDSK-85517
>
> I don't know if that would impact any SBSers - is Kaspersky used on
> servers much?



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Access Vista Files from XP Dual-boot Henry Craven {MVP} microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 07-12-2007 01:22
Access denied TO XP-partition folders from Vista on dual-boot machine no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 07-04-2007 15:30
Access denied TO XP-partition folders from Vista on dual-boot machine no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 07-04-2007 15:30
Use of files jointly in a dual boot environment Tom microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-26-2007 12:46
Need access to all folders from both sides of dual boot Peter microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 4 02-17-2007 19:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:06.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120